08 Shifting issue

coalt45

I posted on the other forum also so if you're seeing this again. I apologize but I figure if more see maybe someone has had it happen before.

So recently I sold my car and have been using the bike to get around. It has about 6550 miles on it. Its an 08 as the title says. Well it usually runs great. Today it has been shifting awkward. After shifting I have to apply slight pressure on the shift lever and then shift like normal. When shifting up I have to push down slightly then it shifts up fine. If shifting down after shifting I have to apply slight upward pressure to the lever and it will downshift.

Anyone have any ideas about what is going on? I did a search and didn't find anything. This is a video I found seems like pretty much the same thing, but no answers.

Drag Racing 1/4 Mile times - DragTimes.com

Is your chain tension within spec? A loose chain can produce the issues you're having

Chain is good. When your bike is off does your shifter move freely a little? I just noticed mine moves before it shift so it even does it when its not running. :dontknow:

Chain is good. When your bike is off does your shifter move freely a little? I just noticed mine moves before it shift so it even does it when its not running. :dontknow:

It should move a little up and down before it hits the cock and can actually click into gear... but not "freely", you should always feel some resistance. Maybe your spring and the two arms are bent away and it won't stay positioned center.

Just a thought but could it be the shift shaft spring is broken or stretched, this spring is what re-centralises the shifter so to speak when you change gears and puts it back in position ready for the next shift.

If the spring is slack the shifter may not “reset” itself and you have to manually move it slightly to get the lever re-centralised and in position ready for the next shift.

See item 5 in the exploded view and item 2 in the assembled view.

Start with the simplest stuff: Is shifting linkage clean and well lubricated? (very easy to do).

How long has it been since last oil change? Oil level? What oil are you running?

I should have explained better, it is a real simple check you don’t need to drop covers off, the pictures where just to clarify what spring I was talking about.

The shaft spring is the only thing that keeps the lever in the central position.
Just look / feel how much free play there is on the lever, there should be next to none, if it freely flops back and forth in either shift direction before any tension is felt there is your answer.

Oh, and I’m talking about the lever straight out the box not the foot peg lever.

Cheers!

I should have explained better, it is a real simple check you don’t need to drop covers off, the pictures where just to clarify what spring I was talking about.

The shaft spring is the only thing that keeps the lever in the central position.
Just look / feel how much free play there is on the lever, there should be next to none, if it freely flops back and forth in either shift direction before any tension is felt there is your answer.

Oh, and I’m talking about the lever straight out the box not the foot peg lever.

Cheers!

That is exactly what I was referring to. I am willing to bet those arms on the spring are just warn. That is kind of off though if it has never been taken off assuming the clutch and everything else is stock. I wouldn't see a reason to have had to remove it.

I've encountered a very similar problem on my '67 YB-2, waaaaaay back, and it turned out that the eccentric bolt, that was used to center the shifter shaft spring, simply broke.
Funny how the basic design hasn't changed since.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. I will let you know what I find out. unfortunately I am working a ton this week so will not be able to check until Sunday.

i have trouble shifting when i wear my mx boots

when i wear any other boot i have it shifts as sweet as.....

but that was before i switched to r6 pegs....shifting even better now but still not brilliant with mx boots

I fixed it! Been messing with it since I posted. Turns out everything was fine and I just needed some WD-40. Seriously sprayed some wd-40 on the arm and started moving it around and it started loosing up and all of a sudden it just started working.

The Hiem joint gets gummed up and doesn't move freely. I took mine off and soaked it in Creep overnight. I made a few trips to the garage between beers to move the ball with a screw driver run through it. I also took the shift lever off the peg and found almost no grease and what was there was gummy and gritty. I cleaned and lubed this with fresh grease and reassembled in the morning. The hiem joint was super smooth and free and it shifts very well now.

Last edited:
Back