08 stock susp. Forks uneven at triple clamp

:banghead:08 stock susp. Forks uneven at triple clamp

Bought FZ1S about 2 months ago w/ 5200 miles her. Yesterday after putting 1500 miles on her since purchase, I decided it's time to start tuning her ride. I pulled up on the mat in the garage, got her up on the center stand looked down and Houston we have a problem. The fork tube on clutch side in protruding above the triple clamp 1mm, while the fork tube on throttle side has the top of cap flush with top of triple. Now I've been researching and have found very contradicting information. Some indicate that the orientation of both fork tubes MUST be the same, which to me makes sense. Other emply there is no need for concern or correction. Some sites have indicated do to manufacturing processes, assembly, and factory axle alignment this is done intentionally. (Having a hard time believing Yamaha does this). And lastly several different sites have folks saying there bike also has this issue.

Out of 20 plus bikes, this is the first time for me. Hoping a fellow FZ guru can shed some light on the issue. Wear on the front tire has very minimal offset wear. Which could or could not be related. No noticeable pull, at least none that I had not previously contributed to contact patch to surface angle. Going to take a ride in a bit, find as level of a road as possible take hands off the bars and see how much lean it takes to keep straight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
The forks should be at the same level in the triple clamps. I would suggest that you start with them both 5mm above the top on the top triple clamp

What loosenut said.
Start with 5mm protruding above the triple clamps and see how it feels. It will quicken the steering and the bike will tip into corners quicker.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

What procedure to follow?

What is the proper procedure to accomplish, this angle adjustment? What will the new middle of the road adjustment (starting point) be after after the 5mm fork move for rebound and compression?

Undo the hex head screw on one side and slide the fork up int the clamp and measure with a ruler/verneers, then tighten. Repeat for the other leg.

Changing the fork height in the clamps will not change your other settings, it will only effect the turn in rate. You will notice the bike will be more responsive to direction changes.

sag should be set at around 1/4 travel.

compression and rebound will depend on what you want to get out of the bike and the springs/oil you have in the forks.

Forgot to reply, and say thank you for the advise. Made the adjustment after your responses, while changing front tire out. Def. the right move to make had just installed Satan's V4 adapter and R1 rear, definitely like the ability to dive into corners quicker. Now on the hunt for R1 front fork set up and a New fuel tank. Thanks yall

Back