2005 FZ1 EXUP Failure - Bad Ignitor/ECU?

Hey Folks,

I've got a 2005 FZ1 with an EXUP valve problem. I swung by my local shop today after suddenly having very little power at around 5k-5.5k RPMs on the highway, and we did a few diagnostics. The shop manual says to replace the Ignitor unit based on the troubleshooting steps, and we actually swapped the ECU for the other guy's unit quickly (handy when your mechanic rides the same bike), and sure enough with the other ECU in place the servo spun about just fine. Pretty expensive little box! If I've got to replace it then I'll replace it, but I've got a few questions and I'm wondering if you guys can help me come to a decision.

I ride a ton. This is my second problem with that EXUP valve since I got the bike just shy of a year (and 30k miles) ago. First problem was just the typical sticking, and a cable adjustment. Now a bad circuit in the ECU/Ignitor. Can I just gut that dang EXUP valve and have done? We safety wired the thing open and buttoned everything up so I could get myself home while I make a decision and honestly I didn't notice that much of a difference in the quick 10 minute ride from the mechanic's to my garage. I'll gladly eliminate any more headaches by eliminating that dang EXUP valve, as long as it doesn't cause more problems (such as a huge dip in power on the low end or a big hit to fuel economy).

Is there any way to verify that the other circuits in the Ignitor/ECU are working properly? Should I be getting another error code if the whole thing is dead? Any tests I can run to make sure everything else in that little black box is firing like it should?

Basically, if the EXUP isn't doing a lot for me, and the rest of my Ignitor/ECU is working fine, I'm leaning towards gutting that EXUP valve and buttoning up the wiring so I don't get the 7k error code on my tach every few seconds.

On the other hand, if I truly have a faulty Ignitor/ECU, I would want to replace it so the other systems are getting what they want out of life.

I've heard of full system exhausts removing the valve and even gaining performance across rev range, but I'd rather keep the stock because I'm a cheapskate and I don't care to have a loud pipe or to have to install a power commander and so on. Plus, they're hard to get in California.

Thank you all in advance for your help, I really appreciate it.

Most people who buy an aftermarket exhaust pull the exup cables and often buy a plug to put into the exup plug to trick the ECU into thinking the EXUP servo is plugged in - then remove the servo also. This gives you some more room under the seat for storage - added bonus.

here is a link to the plugs on ebay - pick one you like.

fz1 exup eliminator | eBay

I suggest you try to find a used ECU for you Gen1 FZ1. Any from 2001-2005 will work. A quick e-bay search shows one for $70

Thanks for the reply! I did just that shortly after making that post. Found one for $100 that said "used good condition working" right in the listing, and didn't say "sold as is" or anything like that, just to make sure if it arrives not working I can get my money back.

After exhaustive Googling I did discover that I should absolutely get the EXUP sorted on the Gen 1, unless I go full system aftermarket with a jet kit and the like.

I did find an interesting thread where a guy cut open the ECU and replaced the chip that burns out and causes this problem. Looked fairly clean at the end. Maybe I'll give that a shot in my spare time once I get the working one in the bike.

So I got the used but working ECU in the mail today and reconnected everything, and it all worked like it should. Then out of curiosity, tested my old ECU again. Turns out it wasn't bad after all. It'll go in the spare parts box in case the other one goes out.

Just a heads up to anyone else who might find themselves in this position. Make sure to turn the engine on, then off, then turn the key to test your servo motor's function. Pretty sure my mechanic didn't do that part and jumped to the "replace ignitor unit" box in the troubleshooting flow chart. If you only turn the key but don't start the engine, nothing will happen and you might jump to the same conclusion.

Turns out my only problem was a very badly out of adjustment set of cables and a loose bolt. Got everything set up again and took her for a test ride. Good lord is it nice to have a working EXUP valve. She runs like a top and pulls like a freight train once again.

Lesson learned - I'll be adding this to the small list of things to check on and adjust in the middle of each oil change.

Last edited:
So I got the used but working ECU in the mail today and reconnected everything, and it all worked like it should. Then out of curiosity, tested my old ECU again. Turns out it wasn't bad after all. It'll go in the spare parts box in case the other one goes out.

Just a heads up to anyone else who might find themselves in this position. Make sure to turn the engine on, then off, then turn the key to test your servo motor's function. Pretty sure my mechanic didn't do that part and jumped to the "replace ignitor unit" box in the troubleshooting flow chart. If you only turn the key but don't start the engine, nothing will happen and you might jump to the same conclusion.

Turns out my only problem was a very badly out of adjustment set of cables and a loose bolt. Got everything set up again and took her for a test ride. Good lord is it nice to have a working EXUP valve. She runs like a top and pulls like a freight train once again.

Lesson learned - I'll be adding this to the small list of things to check on and adjust in the middle of each oil change.

The ECM's rarely go bad. And they are the most replaced item when it comes to ignition problems. Gen 1 FZ1 , really needs a working EXUP to run right, like you found out. It is a easy item to service too. I grease mine once a year, lube the cables and check the adjustment. I have yet to change the adjustment even after putting 18K on my bike ( which I bought with 22 K already on it). A weak spot on the Gen 1's is the ignition switch. Get in the habit of squirting some contact cleaner inside it to keep the contacts clean. A hard start or no start ( say after it was running ) can be your clue to this little annoyance.

Back