2007 FZ1 fork removal

Can anyone help with with how to remove aluminum fork caps in order to change fork oil? Do I need to tighten down the gold smaller bolts that sit on top of them first? Also there is a flat head screw at the tip. What does this have to do with anything? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The gold hex head adjusts preload and the flathead screws adjust compression damping on the left fork, and rebound damping on the right fork. I would recommend leaving those at factory settings, getting a shop to set them up for you, or watching some youtube videos on how to dial them in yourself. You should only have to touch the outermost big hex head to unscrew the fork caps.

One note (because I messed up the first time I did it): Measure how much oil you pour out so you know how much oil to put back in!

The gold hex head adjusts preload and the flathead screws adjust compression damping on the left fork, and rebound damping on the right fork. I would recommend leaving those at factory settings, getting a shop to set them up for you, or watching some youtube videos on how to dial them in yourself. You should only have to touch the outermost big hex head to unscrew the fork caps.

One note (because I messed up the first time I did it): Measure how much oil you pour out so you know how much oil to put back in!
Anybody know the thread size for the fork cap?

Aaaaaaand right one is stripped

Yeah, you have to make sure the socket is squarely on there. I rounded both of them off a bit when tightening mine... to 80 lbs/ft!!! I found some online source that listed that, only to find it was a misprint. Fortunately, no real damage was done and I corrected my mistake. Could've been so much worse...

Back