2007 FZ1 sputters/misses between 2K & 3K

Frustrated. I changed the plugs in the fall after the bike starting running really rough and missing. That helped quite a bit, but there still was a little hesitation at low idle, especially after the bike had been running over about 10 minutes or so.

I added some Sea Foam yesterday, and after that had a chance to work in, it only got worse. It evens out when the bike is revved out, but at low idle to high idle it hesitates and misses.

Have you checked the headers? All equal temps? What about the fuel
Line? It isn't kinked under the seat correct? It's very common for that to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 FZ1 misses/sputters between 2K & 3K

I will check the fuel line. I have had to lift the tank to change the plugs, so that definitely could be the issue.

What would I be looking for in checking the headers?

Have you checked the headers? All equal temps? What about the fuel
Line? It isn't kinked under the seat correct? It's very common for that to happen.

Frustrated. I changed the plugs in the fall after the bike starting running really rough and missing. That helped quite a bit, but there still was a little hesitation at low idle, especially after the bike had been running over about 10 minutes or so.

I added some Sea Foam yesterday, and after that had a chance to work in, it only got worse. It evens out when the bike is revved out, but at low idle to high idle it hesitates and misses.

Seems related to your adding Sea Foam. You could have a partial block in the fuel injectors. Which Sea Foam product did you use? How many miles does your FZ1 have on the clock? Is your bike stock? The fuel injection system should be syncronized every 6000 miles. It could be a kink in the fuel line as Missyl suggests - how long since the new plugs went in? Cheers.

Last edited:
Sounds like we are having the same issue. Coincidently I too have just changed my plugs so hopefully it is the same issue. I'am beginning to think it a bad plug or coil.

What I've done so far.

Disconnected all after market electronics
Cleaned and dielectric greased all connections.
Checked my grounds.
Now on my second tank of Sea Foam

Hopefully this weekend

Pull plugs and replace
Check resistance on the coils.

I'll post up my results.

2007 FZ1 misses/sputters between 2K & 3K

I changed the plugs about 1000 miles ago.

How do I check the headers?

Also, I was asked at what temps the bike does this. I rode it last night and observed that it started acting up at 185 degress plus. It ran well up until then. It seems like the more warmed up it gets worse and really seems to be starving for fuel between 2K and 4K. Once it breaks that barrier and it is revved out, it does fine. It just sounds sick.

The bike has about 35K on it.

This afternoon I am going to fill the tank up with fuel that doesn't contain any ethanol or methanol and add some more Sea Foam. I will see how that goes and will change the plugs again this weekend, and ask the dealer about getting the fuel injection system syncronized. I am also going to check the fuel line.

In another post, I read a guy suggested simply replacing the fuel line, but he said 18" EFI line. I am assuming that meant 1/8". Is that correct, and where do I get that?

Last edited:
We are having the exact same problem. I was going to ask about your temperatures but you just answered that for me. I've now run 2 Sea Foam tanks free of ethanol and do not have a resolve. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to pull my plugs and check my coils.

Just search "unthinkable fuel line mod" its 1 /4" I.D. fuel line, length of 18". I just did this last weekend, took all my bottom end stumble away. The stock line is stiff nylon and kinks really easy. Chances are if you have lifted the tank without disconnecting the fuel line, you have kinked it. That's what happened to me.

Spray the headers with water from a spray bottle, to be sure all headers are heating up.
Johnny, I assume you've checked to be sure all your coils are seated properly? Seems odd to change plugs and have an issue suddenly. I also assume they were all gapped properly...maybe a bad one from the factory?

2007 FZ1 misses/sputters at low RPM

I checked the fuel line and it seemed in good shape. As far as I had to pull the tank up to change the plugs, it wasn't putting enough strain to kink the line. The line much shorter than the 18" noted in previos posts, and it had connectors on each end. I am going to rule the kinked line out for now.

I went into the Yamaha mechanic, and as mentioned in an earlier post, he suggested doing a throttle bottle sync. I am taking it in today and hopefully that will be the cure.

Well if you don't think its a fuel line, take spray bottle and spray the tops of the coils with the bike running and check for arcing or a change in the way the bike runs.

2007 FZ1 misses/sputters at low rpm

I checked the fuel line and it seemed in good shape. As far as I had to pull the tank up to change the plugs, it wasn't putting enough strain to kink the line. The line much shorter than the 18" noted in previos posts, and it had connectors on each end. I am going to rule the kinked line out for now.

I went into the Yamaha mechanic, and as mentioned in an earlier post, he suggested doing a throttle bottle sync. I am taking it in today and hopefully that will be the cure.

There is an outer sheath on the stock fuel line. Unfortunately, it is not likely that you will be able to judge whether or not the line is kinked by simply inspecting the outer sheath. Upon dissection, some find a noticeable kink and some don't.

Back