2008 FZ1n Misfire/lack of power.

My FZ1 is a 2008 reg. this morning it started to idle weirdly and it didn't have power when acceleration till it hit higher revs. sounds like it is dropping at least 1 cylinder.
I have recently changed all the spark plugs i check them all and tightened them but same issue.
So I don't know if it is a coil issue or fuelling or what really.

By chance, when you did the spark plug change, did you happen to lift the gas tank? If so, raise it again and make sure that the fuel line isn't "kinked" under there. It's happened a thousand times to guys with GenII's and is a common thing after lifting the tank. The fuel line in the GenII is very prone to kinking.

Well if the line is okay just let it warm up for a few minutes and then take a spray bottle of water and squirt each exhaust header, one at a time. The water should sizzle of immediately from the header. If one doesn't burn off so fast then you have found which cylinder isn't firing. It isn't unheard of to get a bad plug or have a new one fail. Let us know what you find out.

The fuel line is fine, and all the headers seem to be getting hot. couldn't tell any difference when I sprayed water on them!
i have put the old plugs back in and still the same problem.

I hate when that happens. Well, then I'm out of suggestions for now other than to check your electrical connectors near where you were working that day. Sometimes you don't realize it when your moving your hands around in there and loosen connectors and such. I would unplug each one, clean the ends, jam some dilectric grease in there, and re-connect them. Is it possible that you have gotten some bad gas??? Try using some Seafoam in the tank and let it run through to see if it clears up. I'm at a loss because I own a "carbbed" GenI and don't have to mess with computers, injectors, etc. Maybe some of the GenII guys can chime in with some guesses. I hope you get it sorted out.

Let's see, I'd say plugs first, making sure they all seated and the coils are seated all the way down as well. Then I'd say bad gas, (Seafoam) and since you checked all the gas lines, forget that. I'd mess with the idle screw, maybe it has vibrated out,(this can happen) it should idle at 1300 rpm. Did you pull the air box off or anything? Throttle bodies and everything ok? Opening as they should?
That's a few things I'd look at.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A kinked fuel line would be particularly likely to cause high rpm issues so I would doubt that it is the cause of his immediate issues. That said, you can't often tell that the fuel line is kinked by simply looking at it because there is a protective sheath over the actual fuel line. . . .

Do you have any diagnostic codes showing up on the dash?

Jump into diagnostic mode and see if d61 shows any error codes. Do you have the service manual? It has a great troubleshooting method for any code. Mine displayed no engine light but had a code for the Intake Air Temp Sensor. After testing the sensor was good and clearing the code, the bike runs BUTTER smooth! When the ECU errors a sensor, whether the sensor is good or not, it ignores that sensor until you test/replace it AND clear the code.

How do I get it into the diagnostic mode? I have a service manual on disc will have to seen if it has codes. Thanks for all the suggestions. Will try them on tuesday Or tomorrow evening.

I have changed the fuel and taken it for a ride to clear out the old fuel, but still the same problem. I check for error codes. And non there. Not really sure where to go from here.

Misfire

Two weeks ago i had those problem happened to my 2008 model FZ1N.
Its occured twice after i washed the bike and blow dried with air compressor.
i'm not sure what's the problem, i'm afraid maybe i hit the compressor air direct to the electrical part around the headlight area or the spark plug area.
But i been doing these to the bike for almost 3 years with no problem.
Furthermore there is no sign of error message from the display.

What i did i just keep on riding when i hit somewhere 5 to 7 km its get back to normal condition but little bit rough on engine . After the next day its fine like normal again.

I'm not very sure when i spray water on the fuel tank cover might caught inside. I doubt so....

That is strange. I have put another 20 miles on the bike and still the problem is there. I haven't washed it for about 2 weeks.
A mechanic suggested it may be the coil caps. It they are slightly corroded they can ark against the head. But I have covered them in silicon spray and it still persists.

Hiya,

Mine was running a bit rough, and the guys at the dealership put it on the diagnostic unit thingy and reset it, which helped tons. Apparently the stock set up is rubbish. Might be worth a try......

It sounds like a bad coil. When the bike is cold, start it up and as it warms up the header attached to cylinder not firing will be signifigant colder than the other 3. I used a paper towel soaked in water to test. If you test when the bike is at full temp, the heat from the engine makes the non-firing cylinder just as hot.

Good luck

How do I get it into the diagnostic mode? I have a service manual on disc will have to seen if it has codes. Thanks for all the suggestions. Will try them on tuesday Or tomorrow evening.

Do you have the service manual? Do you know how to get into DIAG mode? If so, check d61 with the KILL SWITCH in the OFF/NO START position. When you hit d61, it will display any error codes and if there is more than one, it will change every two seconds. Write those down and consult the manual.

To do this, perform the following steps:

With the key in the ignition and the KILL switch in the NO START position:
Press and hold both SELECT and RESET on the instrument cluster
Turn the key to the ON position while still pressing the two buttons for 8 seconds. The display will change to "dl"
Release the buttons then press both again for two seconds until you see "d01"
Once there, use the reset button to move backward through the list or Select to move forward.
Scroll to d61 and wait for 30 seconds to monitor any error codes. Write them down.
To clear the codes, scroll up one to d62
Put the KILL switch in the RUN position and wait 5 seconds.
Put the KILL switch into the NO START position
Scroll to d61 and verify the error codes are erased.

Thanks you for all the suggestions guys. I ordered a set of ignition coils from eBay they came off a 2006 model but look almost new. Put them in and what do you know running sweet again.

Back