2011 East Coast Gather

I was supposed to be in Boone last summer but my mother in law died then I ended up on the receiving end of a heart catheter,one of many,so I never made it there but have heard the area is awesome.Talking about the Gap area one of the best roads there is 28 south off of 74 up into highlands then follow it down into Georgia if you like tight technical roads which are my favorites or down towards suches by the TWO

Hwy 60 between Morgantown and Suches is one of the greatest roads in the world since there is almost no way you can get better. I also agree with hwy 28 from the Gap to War Woman rd is awesome. Then there's the Cherohala Skyway, and 360 in TN. Awesome

There are simply a lot of great roads that are not frequented by the cops too much. But, what I like the most about the area is all of the locals are aware that bikes might be coming at them doing triple digits in the twistie areas and I've never had even a close encounter with a vehicle, well, except for a few pick ups I've pissed off passing them. :)

If some of you stay at the Iron Horse -- that is only 10 miles from Robbinsville where there are plenty motel rooms also and places to eat. The place on the corner of 28 and the road to the Horse has all you can eat fresh catfish on Friday nights.

I feel it is unsafe to have too wide a variety of experience levels in the riders. Newbies seem to feel the pressure to keep up greater than those with more experience. Plus, if you are too slow it will drag down the other riders.

It is also important to not mix cruisers with crotch rockets for safety sake.

The simplest way to make these rides work is to have folks pay up front, then they won't back out. The place we stayed a coupla years ago (Treetop) is great for 7 riders and not expensive. It is on the Cherohala and also near Robbinsville.

AYCE catfish friday nites ,Stecoah diner i was there mmm catfish!!!

Hwy 60 between Morgantown and Suches is one of the greatest roads in the world since there is almost no way you can get better. I also agree with hwy 28 from the Gap to War Woman rd is awesome. Then there's the Cherohala Skyway, and 360 in TN. Awesome

There are simply a lot of great roads that are not frequented by the cops too much. But, what I like the most about the area is all of the locals are aware that bikes might be coming at them doing triple digits in the twistie areas and I've never had even a close encounter with a vehicle, well, except for a few pick ups I've pissed off passing them. :)

28 Down by War Woman is not one of my favorite roads anymore! To the OP you can't go wrong with any of the areas mentioned but keep in mind you will here during the fall leaf season so expect some traffic on the better know roads.

Last edited:
28 Down by War Woman is not one of my favorite roads anymore! To the OP you can't go wrong with any of the areas mentioned but keep in mind you will here during the fall leaf season so expect some traffic on the better know roads.

Hell, I still love 28 and I totaled a bike there. :) But, I'm staying off Wayah Rd. forever.

Come on wid it!

I'm no superbike champion and won't be anytime soon!

Well have a common camping/ lunch/ supper spot and just roll from there.
It's 100% okay with me when I roll in last. Hell, i usually do!

I've never been and don't really know the logistics of the Tail???
Is it 15 miles or hairpins or 100 miles of moderate curves?
Is there good stopping spots on the way?

???

The dragon is 312 curves & switchbacks in 11 miles. I've ridden it on a cruiser and so long as your ride your own ride you will LOVE it. I had a blast on it a couple years ago. Unfortunately, I can't go this year. I'm out of commission some time into October. The earliest I can get clearance to ride again is October 20th. Bumming I am. :(

Back