2011 Road Sport Shootout

For a change, MotoUSA loves the FZ1

2011 Yamaha FZ1 Comparison Video - Motorcycle Video - Motorcycle USA

11rs_scores.gif

11rs_hp.jpg

11rs_torque.jpg

And modded that lets face it costs very little will give you torque like the Kwaka and Peak HP above the BMW, my 06 with all my mods owes me less than 10 grand. All hail the great FZ1

I don't need verification on any motorcycle I bought that tells me I bought the right thing, because I did a ton of research before I bought the 09 new. However, this was nicely done by motousa. Anyway, I wish I had waited to get to Pensacola before I bought, but the West TX roads were calling. Gulf Shores Powersports had the 08s for $7500 in late 09. That was a HELL of a deal. You talk about money left over for mods. $10,500...They were $10,200 with the 10s coming out. I got the bike for $9.5 out the door.

I like the comments on the video. I have to agree with all of them. The 10 or 11 must have the remap, because at 4000ish...there is a bit of a stumble. I need a Juice Box or a PCV. We'll see soon enough. The pillion - crimy! It needs a LOT more padding and design work. This bike is one that you are capable of riding 2-3 hours at a time - Fuel being the stopper. The seat is a 45 min- 1 hour. However, it's seldom I get more than 1.5 in the seat anymore - Got to love kids.

To be honest, only the Triumphs and the Aprilias are in the same league. They are MILES of difference in the price.

Side-by-side and put into context, you can make a case for any bike depending on your priorities. A little more torque on the spec sheet would be good, but then you lose the marketability of a high top end and genuine SS motor.

Yamaha has also done its homework as it does not compete head-to-head on each attribute. Honda is known for its fit and finish, but without a fairing I would never buy it. Same goes for a Z1000, even with bags and a lower list $. A sloppy front end and squirrely handling would keep me from buying the Ninja even though it looks great. The Suzuki felt obsolete when I sat on it and it's size is more than I wanted even though reviews state that it carries its weight well.

That left me with a new FZ1. It really doesn't dominate any individual practical category, but does everything pretty well as a package.

FZ1 being certified the best handler and most comfortable by almost every review is a testimony to its sport touring credentials sans the fuel range. Yamaha motors are never known for their midrange and overall smoothness though. That is one thing Yamaha never quite figured out with the EPA restrictions. But they do open and smoothen up with some basic mods though.

Add to that Yamaha and Hondas are probably the most reliable and higher quality of the lot. A few minutes on Kawi and Suzi forums is enough to tell this especially Kawasaki have had a history of motor issues.

I have no complaints about my C14. Absolutely none. But these days I'm reaching for the FZ1 first if it's just me without a pillion. I'm still totally in love with the FZ1 and between the three I've owned I have over 20,000 miles on FZ1's. The C14 can be ridden hard and is responsive in the curves but I still feel like it's more of a car than a motorcycle because it is ridiculously plush and quiet. If you're getting older and can't bend over the on the supersports the FZ1 has yet to see a competitor that totally kicks its behind...although there is that new Aprilia V4 coming?

I have no complaints about my C14. Absolutely none. But these days I'm reaching for the FZ1 first if it's just me without a pillion. I'm still totally in love with the FZ1 and between the three I've owned I have over 20,000 miles on FZ1's. The C14 can be ridden hard and is responsive in the curves but I still feel like it's more of a car than a motorcycle because it is ridiculously plush and quiet. If you're getting older and can't bend over the on the supersports the FZ1 has yet to see a competitor that totally kicks its behind...although there is that new Aprilia V4 coming?

Tuono, it means "Thunder" in Italian.

We have the Tuono V4R here already in Australia. I love my FZ1 but If I had the cash I would have one.
They are supposed to be awesome bikes and have won every shoot out against other high end naked bikes.
They do chug the fuel down though but I can live with that.

THe Kawi has a balancer shaft. An extra rotating shaft inside the engine to tune the vibs out. THe FZ does not. I don't know about the others.
It constitutes more rotational inertia to accelerate...

Back