2014 BMW S1000R -- Tuono Competition

Really............ is it too much to ask the Japanese to follow suit and build something like this BMW or the Tuono ??? Come on Japan get your act together !!!!!!!!!

Is it that farking hard to take a sport bike and make it a little more comfortable without detuning the hell out of it and adding a ton of weight ??

The Japanese have another year or 2 before I jump ship and go with Italian or German machinery !

Can't stand the thought of spending that kind of money and dealing with the issues that come with European bikes. ( Price, dealer network, parts availability and so on ) but apparently the Japanese are not ready to offer REAL sportbike performance in a more comfortable package.

Hmmm............. maybe Pete will be ready to sell that Tuono cheap in a couple years :D

Really............ is it too much to ask the Japanese to follow suit and build something like this BMW or the Tuono ??? Come on Japan get your act together !!!!!!!!!

Is it that farking hard to take a sport bike and make it a little more comfortable without detuning the hell out of it and adding a ton of weight ??

The Japanese have another year or 2 before I jump ship and go with Italian or German machinery !

Can't stand the thought of spending that kind of money and dealing with the issues that come with European bikes. ( Price, dealer network, parts availability and so on ) but apparently the Japanese are not ready to offer REAL sportbike performance in a more comfortable package.

Hmmm............. maybe Pete will be ready to sell that Tuono cheap in a couple years :D

Would you be willing to spend that kind of money on a Japanese bike? Because to get that level of bike you have to put that kind of money in. Basically how you appear to have taken your Fz1 base and modded it up close to the level of those bikes. Well if you'd add the Brembo brakes, and upgrade the forks.

Would you be willing to spend that kind of money on a Japanese bike? Because to get that level of bike you have to put that kind of money in. Basically how you appear to have taken your Fz1 base and modded it up close to the level of those bikes. Well if you'd add the Brembo brakes, and upgrade the forks.

I'd be happy with a GSXR,R1,ZX10 or CBR based bike that's thousands less expensive.
Just like the current Japanese liter bikes are thousands less than the European bikes.

I like the new Z1000 and Z1000SX more than these new German and Austrian beasts. Sure, the price of the S1000R is very good, and it's packed with smart electronics - You get a lot of bang for the buck. For the same price as a new faired FZ1 you get a very potent engine,2 riding modes, ABS, and Brembos, and really good suspension that you don't have to replace as soon as you get your bike home from the shop. Chip in another 1000€ and you get traction control and heated grips, one will save your ass from getting thrown off, the other one will let you ride more. It's a no-brainer if you ask me.

Then again my FZ1 has ABS and it's potent enough with some simple mods. Sure, it's a dinosaur conceived 10 years ago, wheighs like a pig, but it won't cost me an arm and a leg to own and run. And it's pretty damned comfortable. I wonder which one of the other new cool bikes can do it all just as good as the FZ1..

The Tuono V4 is a bit too small for me, the Z1000SX has the bars too far up and back, the Z1000 has no fairing and top end feels a bit weak, the S1000R is probably too small and has no fairing, the KTM is an electronically supressed monster that costs too much and will probably break down every season.

I can't get excited about the Red, White or Blue BMW color options. I just want black, I always want black, and may end up waiting a year to see if they come out with black.

I still get excited every time I see an article about the S1000R. I like it more than the Kawi Z1000 because I absolutely hated the exhaust position. I couldn't hook my heels in and was basically stuck pigeon toed. Also after test riding the Z1000 and riding away on my Fz1 I felt like I got a more entertaining motorcycle in the Fz1 for a lot less being a used bike and all.

I think the S1000R is a lot of bang for the buck if it comes in with a final sale price around $13k. ABS, traction control, Brembo's and BMW finish says a lot. If you think about BMW did a smart thing allowing most of the testing to get sorted out on the S1000RR, saving them development costs.

The Tuono V4R I had a hard on for all last year, however after sitting on one, I was just too big for it, the rake was a little too low for it to be comfortable enough to replace my Fz1. If I had the money to blow I would have all the bikes I could fit in a garage. But right now until I sit on the S1000R for comparison and even do a demo (the BMW dealer by me allows demos), I kinda like it the most and am holding on to the hope that it fits me well.

If money was no object I think I would go Monster 1200 and I am no Ducati fan. However, that bike is amazing.

In what way is it amazing? Have you seen the monster 1100 Diesel?
Ducati-Monster-Diesel-1-1024x694.jpg

Last edited:
Lovin it!

I have been looking at the gen 1, gen 2, and the new V4 Tuonos since before I got my FZ1. When I sat on a V4 at my nearest dealer it did seem pretty tight for me as well as some of you others have said, but so was my Ya mama and adjustable rear sets fixed that problem right up so I'm not too concerned since I've read the same can easily be done with the ape. To have all that power on tap NOT DETUNED would be awesome! I have a hard time imagining more that the FZ and both will have considerably more than the FZ does.
Now that the S1000R is coming out, it being a more comfortable version of my favorite supersport bike the s1000rr. I've got a new dream bike, if I'll be able to get decent touring mods for the BMW I might have a new horse in my corral. I'm excited to demo one asap.

I know the Tuono has a good amount more HP than the s1000r but has a bit less torque, the BMW has 30 HP less than the s1000rr which I don't know is worth the bit of extra torque, though honestly I've yet to reach my FZ1's potential so am unlikely to need it or even notice it.

All this and I love to ride naked, so any of these would put me in moto heaven!

Tony

:cheerleader::woot::sport12::thewave:

Oh one more thing, WHY WON'T BMW MAKE A FRIGGING SYMMETRICAL HEADLIGHT!!!

Last edited:
Back