2015 wr250r ???

My wife only gave me the ok on this bike because my best friend of over thirty years has been fighting cancer for two years snd now has cancer in his one lung he has left , and another guy that ive been riding cycles with for 15 years has bladder and prostate cancer and has stopped chemo oh and his wife has brain cancer !! so since there are alot of yammi and just plain MC nuts what are your opinions on this bike ? I wanted something that wAs light enough to go up some verts but not too fast !! My only other choice that i can afford would be a suzy 400 and i dont think i am mentally strong enough togo slow enough not to hurt myself ,
Your opinions are wecomed and are there any major things to address with this bike im about 240 pounds gearered up . I havent been dirt riding in over ten years how about the Honda 250 enduro ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yamaha, for Sure

My wife only gave me the ok on this bike because my best friend of over thirty years has been fighting cancer for two years snd now has cancer in his one lung he has left , and another guy that ive been riding cycles with for 15 years has bladder and prostate cancer and has stopped chemo oh and his wife has brain cancer !! so since there are alot of yammi and just plain MC nuts what are your opinions on this bike ? I wanted something that wAs light enough to go up some verts but not too fast !! My only other choice that i can afford would be a suzy 400 and i dont think i am mentally strong enough togo slow enough not to hurt myself ,
Your opinions are wecomed and are there any major things to address with this bike im about 240 pounds gearered up . I havent been dirt riding in over ten years how about the Honda 250 enduro ? Thanks

Well firstly, I'm sorry to hear about all the misery and heartbreak. Cancer Sucks!

As far as the bikes go, My buddy Ian, the one that went on the trip with me has had both. He could not stand the vibes on the Suzuki and had numb hands when he rode for more than a couple of hours. He also had to do some air-box modification to deal with the altitude changes when we went to Colorado last year.

IMG_0001.jpg

He sold it and bought the Yamaha, which was along on the trip this year. Elevation wasn't really a problem anyway, but being fuel injected it wouldn't anyway. The Yamaha has almost no vibration issues for him and could handle the big load, all packed for camping. It is not a feather-weight either (for it's displacement) but light enough that it is easy to handle off road. It is very reliable and fuel efficent with Titainium valves and LONG valve intervals. This is a good thing since they are a bugger to get to when they do need doing.

IMG_0198.jpg

Both bikes have decent suspension, but if it was my money I would go with the Yamaha.

As far as "needed" modifications, the list is short; Skid Plate!, proper hand-guards, and a slightly larger fuel tank (there are lots of options).

Oh and ANY bike that you are going to take off-road or onto gravel roads; I would strongly recomend "Doubletake Mirrors" https://www.doubletakemirror.com/build
They will bend out of the way, or can be folded out of the way and Won't snap off and trash your handlebar brackets when you inevitably fall over. Mine have taken a beating, and still look new. My stock ones safely tucked away for when I restore the bike to new to sit in my living room as a monument to my youth.

Last edited:
Well, I'm totally depressed just reading this post. What's with all the cancer these days!??? Jesus!

Dont be depressed bud I tell myself everyday at least its not me !! Im starting to think the Chemo brain is wearing off on me though !!

Thanks so much Lee !! That Super Tenere is way too big to go off road . I really need to get some air to calm the voices down!!

Thanks so much Lee !! That Super Tenere is way too big to go off road . I really need to get some air to calm the voices down!!

I forget that you have the big Yamaha for travelling with. That makes the list of things to do to the WR even shorter! The stock fuel tank is fine for day trippin' and is the most expensive thing. Stock bike with skid plate and good handguards and you are set.

Just don't expect the seat to be a all day couch like the Tenere'. The beauty is that off-road playing you should be standing up a lot anyway. It keeps the spine from getting shorter and lets you take some extra bumps with the knees.

WRs are hard to come by here, they never stay in the show room long and don't often come up for sale used, which has to say something.

There is nothing more therapeutic than some peg-time playing in the dirt!

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0242%201.jpg

Last edited:
I've been toying with getting the WR450F for adventure riding. But my other half is definitely not keen on the idea. She thinks one bike is enough and says I have too many other toys...... what? 2 sail boats is too many?

Sorry to hear about all the illness.

I'm also sad to hear about all the cancer. It's such a devastating disease.

I have considered a WR250R for a long time. The price is steep for what it is, but there is no other bike that matches it's capabilities. I've wished for a WR450R (street legeal version) for sometime, but it has never come. I guess the WR450F can be modified to get licensed. I've heard the 250 is still decent, much stronger than the other 250's out there. Good luck with your purchase. Pictures are a must!

Back