2016 Meet Up Discussion Thread

Dustin

Well, it's a slow week here on the forum so I thought I'd open up some discussion for next year. The Colorado meet up this year was SO much fun, even though only 4 people showed up. We were all discussing the idea of another one for 2016 and I suggested maybe a west coast destination this time.

My favourite state is Oregon, I just love it. It's an excellent place to ride a motorcycle, with an incredible coastline, high desert, rain forest and amazing volcanic regions. The roads are top notch and it's just a great place to spend your time.

I'm open to any idea about when, where, who, whatever. :)

Last edited:
A Long Ride

For just a weekend, but a great general idea, and location. For me it would be part of a bigger ride, as it would have to be. For so many of the forum members the same would hold true and I think having a few nights and couple of days to hang out after group riding is not unreasonable.

I would make every effort to attend.

I would definitely be on board for a longer stay than just a weekend. Maybe 4 nights? There's so many great roads and sights, we sure wouldn't run out of things to do. I would like to pick a really special spot that's worth the trip alone, much like Ouray this year.

I would likely be tying it in with another trip and also bringing Sandra with me. We're planning a 2 week west coast trip for next spring/early summer at the moment.

Last edited:
I would love to ride in OR, but that's over 2100 miles for me one way. I just did 3000 miles to Sturgis, SD around and back home in a week. I'm feeling the effects.

I feel you, my ride to Colorado and back this year was a long one. I would trailer my bike if I was able to. I know Brenda & John talked about this.

I feel you, my ride to Colorado and back this year was a long one. I would trailer my bike if I was able to. I know Brenda & John talked about this.

Aaahhhh Blasphemy! Bikes are for RIDING! :poke:

It's a rainy, cool day here and I have no where I want to go so I'm throwing a route together to Oregon and back. It would be helpful if I had a general ballpark as to where on the "Coast" you had in mind.

Aaahhhh Blasphemy! Bikes are for RIDING! :poke:

It's a rainy, cool day here and I have no where I want to go so I'm throwing a route together to Oregon and back. It would be helpful if I had a general ballpark as to where on the "Coast" you had in mind.

Don't worry, I'll never trailer my bike. Mostly, because I don't have a car ;)

How about Newport? That's about bang on central Oregon Coast

That or Florence maybe. I want to see Crater Lake and have that on my route so I pass both anyway (since I come onto hwy 101 at Bandon). I'll post my trip track once I get it more "finished". Like usual it is a dual-sport route, and rather ambitious.

2016%20Oregon%20trip.jpg

Total of 4,239 kms. without the riding around the meeting place, wherever it might be.

Attachments

• 2016.zip
    724.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
That or Florence maybe. I want to see Crater Lake and have that on my route so I pass both anyway (since I come onto hwy 101 at Bandon). I'll post my trip track once I get it more "finished". Like usual it is a dual-sport route, and rather ambitious.

2016%20Oregon%20trip.jpg

Total of 4,239 kms. without the riding around the meeting place, wherever it might be.

I like the route. I can think of a few day rides in the area and would love to get a group ride to Bend for lunch and coffee by the river. :) Florence is cute and I've only ever stopped at Siuslaw River Coffee Roasters for a fantastic cup of coffee overlooking the river.

Research

I'd like to suggest fall.....maybe September?

Well, the campgrounds and hotels would be less busy with summer vacations done for the kids. How is the weather in Oregon and Washington in early September? From my point of view it would need to be early September, simply because the higher elevations (that many of us would have to cross along the way) would start getting really cold and possibly snowed-on later in the month.

The coast of Oregon is truly spectacular and doing research for routes and camp-spots has revealed some amazing scenery and locations! I might even be able to get a good cup of coffee around there to.

Now if only the economy and the Canadian Dollar would head in the right direction.

I plotted a few loop rides in the Newport area; All are under 200 kilometers in length and would take two to three hours At Most even with picture stops.
Newport%20Area.jpg

And Florence area.

Coastal%20loops.jpg

Coast%20twisty.jpg

I have added the GPS files to my big route file but will post them separately so that those interested can view them or convert them for Google Maps.

Attachments

• Coastal Loops.gpx
    831.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
So, Labour Day 2016 is Monday, September 6. I think that if we met up for the following Friday through Monday, the weather would be ideal for all involved. Early September is still summer weather as far as I'm concerned!

Thinking a bit more, I think Depoe Bay would be a great spot right on the coast

USACE_Depoe_Bay_Oregon.jpg

From my point of view it would need to be early September, simply because the higher elevations (that many of us would have to cross along the way) would start getting really cold and possibly snowed-on later in the month.

That's what heated gear is for. You could always trailer your bike over the mountains if it is too cold for you.:D:D

We got snow last night in Colorado. Couple of inches on Pikes Peak with the snow level at ~12,000 ft.

Trailer?

That's what heated gear is for. You could always trailer your bike over the mountains if it is too cold for you.:D:D

We got snow last night in Colorado. Couple of inches on Pikes Peak with the snow level at ~12,000 ft.

Trailers are for Yuppies and Harleys and Dirt bikes (sometimes in combination). I'd have to go out and buy a trailer and a vehicle to haul it, the Mini would never have such a thing done to her. As far as heated gear, same thing, I'd have to buy some. My suit (non heated) is good to about -5 C with all the liners in but long trips in that weather are for the young and foolish.

Assuming that I still have a job by September next year (at this company, and it doesn't look good with a $40.00 barrel of Oil) then any later into September than the first half and it gets too busy. If I have to look for another job in the next 6 months to a year, my involvement / participation in this are academic anyway.

Since I have not seen any of the Oregon Coast I'm fine with whatever those in the know decide as to location.

I was looking at hotel prices in Newport, yikes. Good thing I was planning on camping. Most campgrounds have cabins and Yurts along the coast. The Yurts are not bad and can sleep at least 4.

FWIW, I stayed at the Days Inn Newport last time and it was sub-$50 USD per night. I just checked pricing in August 2016 (that's as far as I can search ahead) and it's coming up as $48/night. Simple, clean rooms and close to the beaches.

Back