300 mile review of 2014 Z1K

M.Martin

I don't know of it's engine performance as of yet as I am still under break in but I have brought it to 8k and the intake makes a real neat loud howl. The suspension is very rigid and with the 190/50 rear tire I had no problem getting rid of the chicken strips without any effort. The bike feels very light and flickable. The throttle is super smooth with NO glitches what so ever. Low end torch is effortless as it will just pull out of a corner without even a little sound of stress at 2k RPM. Seating position is comfortable but the seat is a bit harder than the FZ was (my butt or the seat will break in though). My toes want to point down and I like to ride on the balls of my feet so standing on the pegs to readjust the boys feels a little off leaning forward. The handlebars are high, wide and comfortable making me feel comfortable with my elbows up. No buzzing or vibrating anywhere. I hav'nt been over 75 mph but at that speed the wind has not been a problem at all (no buffeting) I will know more when break in is complete and I run it up to 80 or so. The overall build quality feel is outstanding with a bunch of little details that Kawasaki added. The styling is incredible and I don't plan to change a thing on it. So far I have no complaints and am in love with my Valentine day purchase <3

Sounds like a fun bike, however I can't get over the "Predator" face. Looks Japanese contrived. And this is coming from a guy with a "Transformer" bike.

I'm looking forward to your 1,000 mile report.

Sounds like a fun bike, however I can't get over the "Predator" face. Looks Japanese contrived. And this is coming from a guy with a "Transformer" bike.

I'm looking forward to your 1,000 mile report.

You're right about the predator look. But I think its awesome!
Will be a month or more before the 1k report as I work 50 or so hrs a week, have a wife and 2 small kids.

Nice bike. They did an article on it in the March issue of Cycle World. BTY, I used to own a '72 XLCH. A real beotch to get started, but once it was running it was a real blast to ride.

Thats great Martin i think between the bikes suspension, motor, brakes , and technology for that price its best in its class. Does it seem any bigger or smaller than the fz? I think it looks bad ass and would look killer matt black!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thats great Martin i think between the bikes suspension, motor, brakes , and technology for that price its best in its class. Does it seem any bigger or smaller than the fz? I think it looks bad ass and would look killer matt black!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

It feels a bit smaller and much lighter. But I don't feel cramped on it. I may ride 600 miles to North Carolina in the spring.

Sweet ride.
We had tossed the idea of getting the wife a z1000 and a street triple instead of her fz8 but our kawi dealer (also sells Harley, Triumph, and John Deere) is owned by a total D-bag so he's not getting my money.
He wouldn't let me test ride a bike (street triple) because if we didn't buy it he'd have to mark the price down because it was used...
Have fun with the monster low end torque...

Sweet ride.
We had tossed the idea of getting the wife a z1000 and a street triple instead of her fz8 but our kawi dealer (also sells Harley, Triumph, and John Deere) is owned by a total D-bag so he's not getting my money.
He wouldn't let me test ride a bike (street triple) because if we didn't buy it he'd have to mark the price down because it was used...
Have fun with the monster low end torque...

I've never even asked to test ride a new bike, only used. I barely even sat on this one. I had my mind made up from the looks and spec sheet!

It feels a bit smaller and much lighter. But I don't feel cramped on it. I may ride 600 miles to North Carolina in the spring.
It actually weights the same as a FZ1. I have never ridden a 2014 but I rode a 2010 and it felt smaller. But it turns out my FZ1 was lighter because of my mods. It def felt shorter and was easy to ride.

Tighter suspension, better throttle response, feels lighter and more agile and very smooth ride. It so far, under break in, has less range through fill ups and lower fuel economy (39ish & 130 miles to a tank). I assume the mpg and range will increase when it breaks in as well as I will start filling upright instead of on the stand. It has more torque but I can't speak for the HP due to not opening it up yet. My FZ was a Gen 1 with a very comfy seat and super plush suspension with a lot of horsepower at high rpm. It was more of a tourer in my opinion where this is a hot rod. I'll do another review at 1k miles.

I've never even asked to test ride a new bike, only used. I barely even sat on this one. I had my mind made up from the looks and spec sheet!
No way I would ever do that. If they want my $10+ grand they are gonna let me test it.
We tried a 6r first and it sucked. If we hadn't been able to test she probably would've went with it and been pissed cuz it's a turd.
She had a 600RR before we met and thought it was a bit much for her skill, she had assumed the 6r would be similar, instead it's got like half the hp.

Tighter suspension, better throttle response, feels lighter and more agile and very smooth ride. It so far, under break in, has less range through fill ups and lower fuel economy (39ish & 130 miles to a tank). I assume the mpg and range will increase when it breaks in as well as I will start filling upright instead of on the stand. It has more torque but I can't speak for the HP due to not opening it up yet. My FZ was a Gen 1 with a very comfy seat and super plush suspension with a lot of horsepower at high rpm. It was more of a tourer in my opinion where this is a hot rod. I'll do another review at 1k miles.

IIRC it's got similar peak hp and torque numbers as the fz just makes 2x the torque down low vs over 7k with like the yammie.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've never test rode a new bike. I thought it was pretty normal to not test ride a new bike as the dealer doesn't want to put miles on them. I personally wouldn't buy a new bike that was test drove, I'd rather just buy used. My bike was not even prepped for riding before I bought it. Either way I am glad I like it, it sure would suck if I did'nt. As for performance expectations, with just a little research you should know what to expect without throwing your leg over it.

Yeah, I've never test rode a new bike. I thought it was pretty normal to not test ride a new bike as the dealer doesn't want to put miles on them. I personally wouldn't buy a new bike that was test drove, I'd rather just buy used. My bike was not even prepped for riding before I bought it. Either way I am glad I like it, it sure would suck if I did'nt. As for performance expectations, with just a little research you should know what to expect without throwing your leg over it.

Her 8 wasn't prepped either. We had to wait for it to be prepped, and brought it home.
I bought one rig without a test drive, and ended up paying out the a** for it. That was my Cummins. Never again. Granted it was used but still.

Like the look

I just saw the Z1000 last weekend at the local Kawi dealer. We were just making our way across the showroom after talking to a friend and my girlfriend stopped and pointed it out because of how cool it looks. I am also jealous that you are able to rid right now. Have fun!

Back