I'm about to pass 85,000 miles. I recently had a major service with valve tuning and everything was just fine. Bike is running great. Aside from replacing parts from normal wear and tear I've done some minimal upgrading since 2009 - 16t front sprocket with lighter gauge sprockets and chain, K&N air filter, block off plates, Bazzaz fuel controller with dyno-tuned map, full Yoshi R-77 exhaust, GPR steering dampener, I'm soon installing braided lines.

My question is pertaining specifically to what preventative maintenance other high-mileage bike owners would suggest to continue to get the most life out of the bike that I can. Its been great to own, no mechanical problems whatsoever and continues to rock up here in Colorado canyon carving with the best of them and certainly along side newer much lower mileage bikes. I'm going for 100,000.

Last edited:
nice to see another high mileage bike here.

I have a Gen 1 with 92k+ miles on her now. The only "major" work I have ever had done was to have the valve Shims adjusted about 10k miles ago as the bike was developing a clicking noise from them being out of adjustment.

I am hoping to get well above 200K miles on mine. I commute everyday on the girl.

If you take care of it this 3rd gen R1 engine seems to be nearly invincible. I'm still bumping it off the limiter, it keeps going. Gains you some respect at the local shop too.

Back