A different de-AIS

donoharm

Spring is coming :waiting: I want to check the valves clearance before this season starts so the AIS was in the way.

If you have a Tig welder you can do this easy.. guess it will work with a mig-mag also, the material of the AIS pipes is stainless steel.

I did this because it's easier to weld then tap (for me) .

The AIS must be quite different on the gen 1 than it is on the gen 2. When I did my valve clearance check/adjustment on my 08 I was able to completely remove the AIS piping and valving in a matter of minutes. I also removed the reed valves in the cover although that's not necessary because the valve cover will come off without removing them. The AIS doesn't add or subtract any power. It may cause some popping that is noticeable if an aftermarket can is installed. Anyway, I left my AIS alone so I can say my bike meets all required regulations. Who knows when that could become a problem? I did my check right at 26,000 miles and I have always done my oil/filter changes at/or before the required intervals and I'm a pretty easy-going rider who maintains the bike by the book. When I did my measurements, every single valve was tight (not to the point of holding the valve open but beyond spec.) I don't see much on this site about checking the valves for clearance, but I'd highly recommend doing it. Burned valves/seats gets expensive pretty quick. By the way, a stock width gauge will not fit in to measure the middle intake valve, the gauge must be slimmed down to clear. When I asked my dealer how they did it, they gave the the advice just to cut them down. You can do that, but you must have a really sharp pair of cutters to do it. Otherwise you may curl the feeler gauge which will make your measurement worthless.

Last edited:
We don't get emissions test here or any other test ,they only test cars .
Taking the ais off makes changing plugs a lot easier and it's just useless.
My bike is close to 50k km and I missed the valve check at 40k so a few hours making sure she's ok can't hurt.

Back