Advice: Do you recommend?

Port8080

Hello All,

I'm 19, male, and contrary to the majority of people my age I do not go triple digits on regular streets, do stoppies or stunts of any sort. However I do enjoy twisties.

Getting to the point as of right now I have 1 season of riding experience and I ride my older brothers 2007 Suzuki GSX 750F (Katana) on a regular basis. Next summer I will have the money to purchase my own bike and since my sister and my older brother are upgrading to bigger bikes I was considering purchasing a 2008 FZ1. Mainly due to the higher power than the katana and similar weight. But considering the limited amount of capital I have once I purchase a bike I won't have money to upgrade to a bigger bike when I am ready. Although purchasing a 998cc bike after 1 riding season seems stupid it is my opinion that as long as you have clutch control and don't ride beyond your limits you should be fine.

what is everyones opinion / recommendation on this?

Also are there many electronic issues that happen since the 2006 FZ1 came out that I should be worried about?

Welcome to the forum. You are a tad on the youg side, but more than likely there are a lot of members your age or barely older. One thing I'll tell you is that you have opened up a can of worms and will get enough opinions to make your head spin. If the Suzi 750 is easily handled by you, you won't have a problem with the FZ1. It's a great bike, handles very well and has plenty of power. I wouldn't worry too much about trading "up". Unless you think you may want to go to a cruiser or a bagger, the FZ1 is about all the sport bike most people need or want unless they want to go full out Race like an R1 or equilavent. I just got a Goldwing that I made naked and it's a lot bigger than the FZ but when it comes to moving quickly and precisely, the two bikes are worlds apart. The Wing is sluggish and heavy, doesn't handle well or do anything with ease. If it does do aything well, it makes me appreciate how good the FZ1 is when I get off it and ride the FZ. There are a lot of good sport bikes out there but in my humble opinion, the FZ1 is a very good bike that you won't soon outgrow.

First off I want to say thanks for replying Lonerider59. Secondly with the FZ1 and other motorcycles having digital gauges etc does that pose a problem often? How about after riding in the rain?

...Secondly with the FZ1 and other motorcycles having digital gauges etc does that pose a problem often? How about after riding in the rain?

No issues with those. That technology has been around long enough to be very reliable. No issues with riding in the rain since all components and connections are weather-proof.

Welcome Port, go for it! You won't regret it. Based on your riding abilities, it may take a few months to fit together with the FZ, or you may feel comfortable right out of the box. It took me exactly 3-1/2 months going from a 750 Honda Cruiser to the FZ1000. Now its like I had the bike all along. Behind my Gixxer750 back in the day, this bike is probably my all time favorite. It's a blast to ride and with any decent riding ability, you can hang with 1 liter sportbikes all day.

Port, I don't have a problem with you riding an FZ1, just as long as you know how to control the twisting of the throttle. I too am conservative by nature, but also have a tendency to twist the throttle to feel that rush of speed. I would suggest taking the MSF course (I know you are riding, but guarantee you will learn something). I would also recommend taking the Experienced Rider course as well.

Never ride past your limits. You do not have to "keep up with 1 liter sportbikes" all day long. I know FZ1riderNY was saying the bike can if you have the ability. Just don't let the peer pressure get you in trouble or dead.

This bike handles the twisties just about a good as you could want.

Take a look on the classified here for good used bikes. 07, 08 and by the time you buy next year 09s will be for sale with some nice mods and for a lot less than brand new with no mods.

Enjoy.

Well, I'm a bit older, but the Gen I was my first bike (ever owned). It took me probably about 8 mos of just riding before I even began to tap any of the potential. And as stated above, it is all dependent upon how you use the throttle.

It can and will :eek: when you least expect it so you always need to be aware. It also does not make ANY sense to ride w/o protective gear. If you are not willing to endure the higher temperatures in full gear, then you don't need to be riding.

The FZ is not your short/t-shirt/flip-flop riding kind of scoot.

Welcome to the forum --and you can pick up a Gen I for fantastic prices and have money left over to mod.....something to consider.

Adam

If you have throttle control and respect for the bike, then any bike is OK for you. If you think your limits are higher than the FZ1's limits, stick with something much smaller. Respect her, finesse her and roll the throttle. If you go WOT, you'll learn fast that she can easily outpace you.

Buy one, learn the bike and take it easy until you respect the seemingly limitless qualities of the FZ1. And once there, you'll know there's no more moving up unless, as stated above, you want full race bike.

The FZ1 can do it all. It can carve, sport, stunt, cruise and tour. She knows no bounds.

would it be easy to switch out the regular hanldebars on the fz1 for more of a supersport type such as the one on the suzuki gsx 750f ?

Also in many pictures the windshield on the fz1 seems to be large and not curved. This being said is there an after market windshield that is curved back for more of a sporty look and better airflow. The purpose of these two mods would be so that it would be more similar to the bike I use now and have better airodynamics.

thanks again guys.

You can drop the bars about 1". More than that and you will be hitting the tank.

look up copperdawg screens. Pretty nice and he color matches them to the bike. Home

If you think the shield on the FZ1 is large then anything with a shield must be considered large. For long distance interstate work I bought a V-stream and it was well worth the cost. If you ride in open areas prone to wind, you'll find more coverage up front is a very good idea if not mandatory.

Does the Gen 2 have a straight across handlebar?

Is there an aftermarket handlebar that is not straight across or one that is interchangeable with the 08 FZ1?

woodcraft clip-ons would cause interference from lock to lock (unless you went naked). SV650 risers can be used to lower the handlebars as FLFZ1 has stated -- not quite sure for the handlebars but it has been reported that Suburban Machinery bars have been successfully mounted (usually for a Gen I). Convertibars might be another option -- nothing had come out when I was researching possibilities for the Gen I on the Gen II

If you are looking for a screen -- though pricey, FLFZ1's recommendation for the Copperdawg screen is probably your best bet, AND you get the paint color to accent/match your bike's factory color.

Adam

Last edited:
I checked out the Copperdawg screen and the price is fine but my concern would be are they still see through? even a little bit? usually if i'm cold I like to hug the tank and use the windshield to see through. if I were to get a copperdawg on a fz1 would it completely block everything out?

I believe that the paint is only on the sides, you still have visibility, and I think you can even get in maybe a smoke instead of Dark Smoke?? Don't have the answer to that one...

Adam

I checked out the Copperdawg screen and the price is fine but my concern would be are they still see through? even a little bit? usually if i'm cold I like to hug the tank and use the windshield to see through. if I were to get a copperdawg on a fz1 would it completely block everything out?

The CD screens are not see through at all. Painted on the outside and unfinished on the inside, although that is not an issue. I don't think this is a screen for cold weather riding IMHO.

Well, I'm a Gen I owner.....so what do I know (not much apparantely..)

Thanks for the correction in my statement above....

Adam

Well, I'm a Gen I owner.....so what do I know (not much apparantely..)

Thanks for the correction in my statement above....

Adam

You were partly correct :) The sides get painted the same color as the bike and the middle is black, which gives the impression of being a dark smoke shield. Here's a picture from his website showing what I mean:

Grey001.jpg

If you are that cold then put on another layer or better jacket. Good gear is a must.

Look on here at pics of guy's bikes. Go to Yamaha FZ1 Owners Association (FZ1OA) Check out some of the pics of bikes, bikes for sale, etc. You will see a number with the Copperdawg screen on them. I don't think you are going to get below that screen. Maybe your body and chest, but not your head.

Back