anyone else have issues with the alternator rotor destroying itself? I believe Yamaha have redesigned the rotor but want to charge megabucks for replacement

anyone else have issues with the alternator rotor destroying itself? I believe Yamaha have redesigned the rotor but want to charge megabucks for replacement

Are you referring to the Flywheel on the left side of the crank case or the stator itself? Gen I or Gen II?

Mine is fine - I think...

I had mine go on my 07 bike sounded rough like a bag of spanners and then the electrics went and it died.But O am lead to believe bikes from 2010 onwards ?? Have the upgraded alternator in them.mine was over £1200 for replacement.

Had I'm mine in my '06 go at 40,000km. Yamaha wanted a fortune. Managed to get a new one for $450. Pay to change both rotor bearings while your there as well, for 2 $5.00 bearings it's worth doing.

No sure if I will keep my bike { been bulletproof } if I do just wondering who has the most miles/klms on their bike [pre 2010] without the rotor destroying itself? I have 73,350 klms [ 2008 model ] without a problem

Yup, I have an 08 and my alternator assembly puked it magnets all into the oil pan. GET YAMAHAS UPDATED STATOR So Yamaha made a decision to fix their stator design. The new design has the magnets built inside.Part Number: 2SH-81450-00-00

Replaces Part # 5VY-81450-00-00

32,000 miles, it's not a detrimental failure. The magnets can't get into your engine. The job isn't that bad to do yourself. With the new updated stator rotor assembly and the 2 bearings you should do while you're in there cost around $365.00
I just replaced the speed sensor because the Speedo was reading 0 while riding. Wire connectors get real corroded on these bikes so take them apart clean them and put some dielectric grease in them.

My bike runs great I think ill drive it till it croaks.

Last edited:
thanks , I suppose the oil pump nozzle & oil filter sieves out the oil before it reaches the internals ? I think how long the rotor lasts can depend on the type of riding you do, mine is mostly highway & back roads so motor keeps fairly cool, not like slow riding in cities or large towns where the motor temps get high .

Back