Analytic directives for solution about noisy fairing

I just tried the lazy man's way to fix it. It seems to work.

I bought little patches of black sticky back velcro. I stuck two of the loop sides (felt sides) back to back. I cut them in half. I then shoved one on each side of the noisy vent at the point where it comes into close contact with the fairing. They're wedged in between the vent and the fairing. So far, so good. If the vent gets more shaky over time the buzz may come back. If it does I'll do the not-so-lazy man's fix described here. But at least for now the buzz is gone. HURRAY !

You can notice the velcro if you look. But it's not a big deal.

Before I did this I took a ride and got up to 4500 rpm. When the buzz was loudest I gently put my hand on the vent. It doesn't take much to quiet it down. Just barely laying my fingers on did it.

Just for curiosity sake I may try buying some thick weather stripping and placing it between the vent and instrument cluster. I tried it with a small piece that wasn't big enough. It looked OK. If done right you'd never notice it wasn't out of the factory.

I will have to do this fix very soon to mine (probably next week since I am off from work for a few days). I just recently purchased the bike and that vibration is very embarrassing and annoying. Great "how to" by the way!

I have this very annoying buzz on '06

I did not find that I had to remove the fairing to get the vent removed. I didn't break any of the tabs, just released the two side tabs and a little side force and it slid right out?

Might be different for others. I haven't done the fix yet and will probably take windscreen off when I do to make it a little easier.

I'm riding the 06 FZ1 in SIngapore and the buzz is driving me crazy, asked me mechanic for a fix and he changed the side lid fairing.. Initially i though it worked but eventually a big NONO.. luckily i've made some friends riding FZ1 and he introduced me to this thread. Like to say thanks to your awesomeness =):woot:

I only removed the the six windshield bolts and popped the plastic panel out. Applied silicon and reinstalled and panel and windshield. Took about 15 minutes in total and after 2 months, still no buzzing!

Another option..

well, I fixed mine without dismounting the whole fairing...

Mine is a grey model so the same model as in the pics.

i simply dismounted the fairing. Then, gently pulled the triangular black piece by bending one side. And that was it, as far as dismounting pieces is concerned. I have then cut a piece of styrofoam with the shape that fitted inside, wide about 3 mm. Then, I have placed the triangular piece and the styrofoam below. The styrofoam forces the triangular piece to be in place, whilst absorbing the vibrations.
So far this is working just fine. If no more corrections are required in the coming weeks, I'll probably glue the piece with a bit of silicone and paint it in black.
Cheers.

Back