Anchor point for oil plug safety wire

Doesn't look like I'll probably make any more track days this season (most of the tracks are far away, and the dates don't work for me on the close ones), but I'm going to try to go back out next year at Summit Point and/or NJMP. Trying to remember who you were...pictures guy?

I was the guy who talked to you about what needed to be taped, I mentioned taking the center stand off(if you handstands at home) I control ride for N2(occasionally) and coach for Evolve.

Quick question, why are you safety wiring your fz1 oil plug?
Quick answer, drill a hole into the little 0.5" fin/shroud next to it or, an oil pan bolt.

jared p:
Safety wiring the oil plug is "strongly recommended" for novice/intermediate group in the trackday group I am a part of (n2td.org), required for advanced group. I went ahead and did the filler cap and oil filter for my first day, and ordered a pre-drilled magnetic drain plug (had another post about that) but didn't have a chance to install it yet. I intended to do it at my next oil change.

I did give an inquisitive eye to the protective shroud next to the plug, as it is the closest thing for sure, but wasn't sure whether it would make a good anchor point (mainly wondering whether I could drill without making a mess, and leaving enough room to prevent it from being fragile). I was wondering if I could use a modified washer underneath one of the oil pan bolts, but I'm not sure if the wire would reach without rubbing against the side of the pan going around the corner. I was hoping to have a straight line with no contact preferably. Probably that lip in front of the plug is best, if I can do it well.

Back