Any FZ1 owners in the St. Louis area that can help me with some mad science???

Hey all,

I've got a project FZ6 that I've been working on. One of the things I've done on it so far is swap out the headers for R6 headers (with a shorty GP exhaust) and dropped the undertail exhaust. That's left me with this:
IMG_20160510_183604.jpg

I was never really that much of a fan of the FZ6 style tail in the first place, and now is all the more reason to find something to swap with. I didn't have any luck at the FZ6R forums, but a recommendation there, and a walk by I did of a FZ1 on my base makes me think that the FZ1 tail could work as a swap.

Is anyone nearby to the St. Louis area that wouldn't mind helping me by parking yours next to mine for some inspections to see if a tail swap could work? (Don't worry, not looking to do anything invasive with your bike. Just want to get a feel if things could line up. The rumors is that the Gen 2 tail would be best, but I'd take a look at any other Gen too if it helped me narrow down.

Also, I go by the same name on the 600riders forum if you want to see the other pictures.

Thanks!

Garrett

I have seen FZ1s with the R6 tail put on which looks a lot nicer. you will need to do some cutting and welding to get the FZ1 tail frame to match up to the FZ6. I'm not sure if the R6 will need welding as well or not. Have you had a look at the R6 option?

Sorry, being in Australia that's about all I can offer.

I have seen FZ1s with the R6 tail put on which looks a lot nicer. you will need to do some cutting and welding to get the FZ1 tail frame to match up to the FZ6. I'm not sure if the R6 will need welding as well or not. Have you had a look at the R6 option?

Sorry, being in Australia that's about all I can offer.

I'd be willing to go down that route as well. Unfortunately, since not many people have dropped the undertail, there's not much conversation about this. At a certain point I realized I might have to be the one to experiment with this to be able to tell other people. I'll throw a post up on the R6 forums as well, but definitely want to still see if there's any FZ1 guys around to help out.

Also, to any are worried about a time sink, I'm putting some craft beer up for a reward (and I really don't see it taking more than an hour to get a feel for the comparison).

Back