Anyone Painted/Ceramic coated their exhaust?

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
So, I'm in the process of trying to spruce the bike up and now looking at the exhaust.

Anyone ever painted/ceramic coated their exhaust? Product(s) used?

I'll have to go back to Autozone (or was it Pepboys) and look into the high temp paint that I saw there.

Guess I'm just curious if someone has tried it and if they'd care to comment on their experience.

Thanks,
BroHay

Last edited:
I did the headers of my "78" KZ650 custom in a dark gray ceramic that I believe I got from JC Whitney. It was a strange compound that was very much like the coating you would put on a clay piece before being fired. It was chalky looking and cured by the heat from running. It was very hard to get applied evenly but looked and wore well after I got it on good. It lasted over eight years. I'm not sure if you can even get that same type of materal any more. It was more popular with the car guys. A modern day high-heat paint may be a lot easier. Another thing about the stuff I used was it had to go over bare steel, no chrome.

DIY:

http://www.nomorerust.com/highheat/

I used the nomorerust stuff on the exhaust header from my 72 Nova's straight six. It goes on like a paint and after I cooked it in my oven (yes, I'm divorced, married guys please do not attempt this at home), it comes out chalky. You then use a 0000 steel wool pad and wipe it down. It polishes up real good and lasts a long time.

Before:
Restore147.jpg

After:
Restore149.jpg

couple of more projects for the upcoming nights....going to paint the forks and I'll bite the bullet and use the high temp aerosol paint and see if I can have some success with the header pipe.

I'll post up pictures as the project progresses. But if someone wants to chime with additional info in the meantime, I'm all ears...

BroHay

Crap.....process I was looking at also requires to bake in the oven....guess I'm going to have to look to others to get it coated....

BroHay

Back