Arizona Bike Week

I dropped into az bike week and have been doing demo rides. Must say Yamaha turn out is not impressive. They only have 1 of each model. I did Kawasaki demo rides and they had 3 ninja 300 and 3 zx6r available. As well as a couple zx10r. I love yamaha but this is pretty weak.

More ride updates to come later

Back from the first day of demo rides.

Yamaha was able to pull it together for me. I was not able to ride the R6 today because of a little scheduling snafu. Instead I was able to ride a 2013 Raider and then they hooked me up with a 2013 FJR1300

Review:

2013 Yamaha Raider - MSRP $14,890, 1854cc, Belt Drive
This was not my first choice for a ride and I actually never planned on riding any cruiser style bike in my life. But, when there are free rides to be had on 2 wheels I won't say no.

First impression getting on the bike was crap this thing is big. The high handlebar position about shoulder height and I'm 6'4" seemed a little weird after coming off the Fz1 as my bike and a Zx6R demo ride before the Raider. The seat felt like it was a cushioned toilet bowl with lumbar support. Much more comfy than a sport bike but I still felt like I should have had my phone out and toilet paper handy.

At the very start of the ride I did not like the bike at all. I went to swing my feet up and both feet kicked into the bottom of the forward controls. I found myself in an uncomfortable position and reminded me why I never wanted to ride a cruiser in the first place because the bulging disc at L5 reminded me that it was still there. We get up out of the parking lot and the next thing I notice is that you can twist the throttle on this thing and not much happens, you can twist a little more and still not much happens, you have to rip into it to get any acceleration that feels like I would consider fun. Finding a comfortable throttle position in just about any gear was rather annoying as well. I found the bike to not be able to cruise at a slow speed without twitching throttle on and off. And the vibration was awful, I'm never going to say an Fz has a vibration issue again after riding that monster.

Over all I thought the bike slow, un-athletic and I could not fathom spending $15k on something like that other than to look cool and ride to a bar with my lady on the back.

FJR1300 - MSRP $15,890 1298cc, Shaft Drive
I really didn't feel like I had come to the point in my life to admit my age 34 and say that I was ready for Sport touring motorcycles. Hell I just started riding 6 months ago and went from an Fz6 to an Fz1 and looking at a Tuono V4R. After getting back from an 1100 mile week in California I know now the importance of comfort when on 2 wheels. Folks the FJR1300A is all that and a bag of chips, party size even with the dual hard saddle bags.

First impression - not quite as boring or obnoxiously large as a Goldwing and definitely not as ridiculous as an HD. Almost sleek and sporty with a sensibility to it that I could safely ride 2-up and have clothes in a hard case that don't smell like exhaust. HMMM:deal:. I'm seeing an upside here. A nice Yamaha gentleman comes over and explains to me the start button as well as the different menu option including a motorized wind screen. Alright, ready to go I fire the bike up and it's that quiet little Yamaha humm like the Fz1.

We take off out of the parking lot and I am the second rider back. FYI if you ever go to a demo day try to pick a bike at the front of the pack. Anyway the lead rider let's his bike open up after the first stop sign. I look down and I'm going 55 in a 35 and giggling like I'm on my Fz1 doing something silly: oops:.

The lead rider after every turn from a stop sign or redlight gets on the throttle pretty good and I love the zip the bike has to offer. We only had one relatively high speed corner it was a sweeping right hander that was posted at 35 warning. We hit it at 50 and I left the guy on the R6 behind me in the dust. At one point I felt the sport touring tire effect I'll call it as the traction started to give a little, so I readjusted my body position and was all good from there. I think with my height I just can't sit bolt upright and lean with the bike, the laws of physics will win every time.

I really enjoyed the whole ride with the FJR1300A. The bike is amazing and I could see myself getting one in the future. Back to the touring through California on an Fz1 with a stock seat mind you. In comparison the FJR was in every way possible superior for touring. The only area where I would wish I had the Fz1 was riding Mulholland Highway, Ortega Highway and Banning Grade. But, I could still see some spirited riding to be had on the FJR1300A, which if you think about it, isn't that the bike the seasoned rider in the Keith Code Twist of the Wrist was killing it on in the video.

Tomorrow I have the R6 lined up and the Super Tenere.

Last edited:
At the Kawasaki tent I had a pretty good experience. There was a lot more bling, the people working there had a lot more to say about their bikes, positive talking points at least and as mentioned above they brought a lot more bikes. In general the Kawi tent was twice as busy as the Yamaha tent and second only to the HD tent (it's AZ).

Kawasaki Ninja 300 Special Edition $5,000, 296 cc, chain drive

Ok, I finally rode a Ninja 300 (250). After my first accident on the Fz6 some people suggested I get on a 250 because I obviously couldn't handle a 600. Instead I went with a Fz1 and happy I never looked back :teeter:. So, with the opportunity to try a Ninja 300 out without having to spend a few thousand dollars I gave her a go.

First impression. I like the look of the bike albeit a little overboard for my taste with the ricer rocket look. I went to get on the bike and realized that it was a mini-size motorcycle. The low seat height (I'm 6'4") or that I fully compressed the suspension (245 pounds) the bike just seemed small. In fact a passerby made it a point to comment on how small the bike looked with me on it.

Riding the bike I think I redlined in first going 40mph leaving the parking lot. On the Fz1 I'm just beginning to think about shifting gears at 40 mph (ok, it might have been 50) but the Ninja 300 I was working the gears early and often. The clutch play was TERRIBLE. I guess Kawasaki has done something with the clutch to take the weight out of the springs so that it is easier to pull the lever which it was very light. I guess that is either to appeal to beginning riders or they are aware of how small the engine is and know of the clutch hand fatigue that was sure to ensue. The friction zone didn't even start till the last 20% of clutch travel and leaving one light I almost popped a wheelie because I kept expecting the clutch to engine and the engine was revving a little too much when it finally engaged. :nothing:. After about 5 minutes into the ride, which are about 30 minutes, I was done and ready to get on something else.

Positives were that the Ninja 300 was a light bike with decent handling although the suspension was overburdened by my weight. Turn in was nimble and braking was excellent. Our group did get separated and coming up to the stop light as the very back rider I did lock up the brake to test out the ABS system. It was interesting to say the least. I don't know if I would like it, but after chatting with European riders who have been getting ABS on their bikes for years they all say it is quite helpful.

As for being the ideal beginner bike, I could not disagree more. If I started on a Ninja 250 I would have been so bored I would have quit riding. The bike would have sat and somebody would get a great deal out of me. Thankfully I went with an Fz6 and it gave me just enough taste to fall in love with sport bike riding. If someone has no manual transmission experience, are not very athletic and have poor eye hand coordination then I could see the Ninja 300 being a great bike. Otherwise get a Yamaha Fz6R and start out on a fun and manageable bike.

Kawasaki KLR 650, MSRP $6,499, 651 cc(single cylinder) chain drive

First Impression: I see a lot of KLR's around here in AZ. We have a lot of dirt roads and trails out through the desert and mountains so it makes for a very appealing bike to own. The styling is pretty much the same since 2008 and the instrument cluster and everything else reminds me of my sisters quad from 1996. The bike is definitely dated in it's appearance. First sit on the bike and I didn't quite blow through the suspension as on the Ninja 300 ABS but it was pretty squishy, I assume ready for the trails.

On the beginning of the ride I had repeatedly made the funny mistake of putting my feet on the rear passenger pegs rather than the primary rear sets. I'm so used to tucking my legs like on the Fz1 that the neutral upright seating position threw me off. The bike was surprisingly fun to ride. The throttle response was easily manageable, braking was a little grabby (but I think I need new pads on my bike and have developed bad habits/skills), and suspension was responsive and I felt in pretty good control the whole time. I'm not sure I like being on dual-sport tires but I could tell where a good lean angle was and where traction would start to let go. I got caught at a yellow light and managed to lock up the rear wheel. Bike felt really stable the whole time and again I could see how effective it would be off on the trail.

Overall I really liked the KLR 650 and it's on my short list for a second bike. There is a lot of fun off road riding so close to me that I think it would be worth the adventure bike purchase. I'm hopefully without any further snafu will be riding a Yamaha Super-Tenere tomorrow to compare the two. Although I believe it will be no comparison as the Yamaha will be superior

Kawasaki ZX6-R ABS, MSRP $12,699, 636cc chain drive

First Impression: Well I got on the all black version. I'm not nor have I ever been a fan of Kawi green. I like the look of the ZX6R but I prefer the R6 over it for sure. I didn't get a full run down of the settings but there is changeable power modes, and traction control. The suspension felt a lot firmer and I was curious what it would be like to get it tuned for my body. The aggressive super sport riding position was a first for me, so I found it difficult to find the right body position where I wasn't killing wrist, or my back or both.

On the ride I probably had the second most fun for the day behind the FJR. The bike was responsive, great throttle, I corked it up in first gear and the engine had a great hum to it with quick power delivery. I found that I could also keep the RPM's less than 4000 and shift all the way up to 6th going 40-50 with no problem or significant lag. Probably the highlight of my riding experience was I was the second rider back behind the leader. We came up to a big sweeping corner that had a yellow advisory sign for 35 and I believe the speed limit was 45. Well he is in front of me on a Z1000 and let's her rip, so I follow, I look down and we are going 70. The bike felt amazingly smooth and confidence inspiring. We let off the gas and began to coast as we finish coming around the bend and there is Scottsdale PD :cowboy: there waiting. :nothing:LOL. Thakfully we were down within 10 mph of the speed limit by the time we got to him and nobody got pulled over.

Overall I really liked the ZX6R and if I decide to go for a track bike it is now in consideration. I would have to get some serious commitment about staying in shape doing yoga and strength conditioning to be able to tolerate the riding position of the bike.

Up for tomorrow

Yamaha: YZF-R6 and Super Tenere
Kawasaki: Z1000, Ninja 650/1000, Versys

Ohh, and I got footage on my GoPro I hope of the funniest thing I saw. We were returning from the last demo-ride for me on the FJR. At the HD tent they were just returning. A woman was getting off what looked maybe like a V-Rod or the new Breakout. She more or less was losing the bike as she started to hop off it toward the left side (clutch), maybe she didn't put the kickstand down. The bike dumped on it's side as the ride director was rushing to help/save the bike. Why putting a 5'5" woman on a bike that size was ever a good idea, I don't know.

Up for tomorrow

Yamaha: YZF-R6 and Super Tenere
Kawasaki: Z1000, Ninja 650/1000, Versys

Ohh, and I got footage on my GoPro I hope of the funniest thing I saw. We were returning from the last demo-ride for me on the FJR. At the HD tent they were just returning. A woman was getting off what looked maybe like a V-Rod or the new Breakout. She more or less was losing the bike as she started to hop off it toward the left side (clutch), maybe she didn't put the kickstand down. The bike dumped on it's side as the ride director was rushing to help/save the bike. Why putting a 5'5" woman on a bike that size was ever a good idea, I don't know.

Oh I'm pretty sure you're going to enjoy your ride on the Z1000 and/or Ninja 1000.

I never pass up a test ride on the Z1000. Feels a lot like the FZ1, but with more low and mid-range grunt.

I love the ride reports. I'm anxious to watch some video if you have it. :popcorn:

I rode a friends Raider and I've test ridden a Warrior. I think the Raider's engine beats the Warrior in numbers by just a bit, but the Warrior didn't sit me so low with high bars like the Raider. I hate that low seat and high bars. They both have forward controls, but the Warrior has R1 fork and brakes. Big difference.

Maybe it was seating position, or something else, but I didn't ride them very close together, so who knows. The Warrior felt faster, but since I'm used to an inline 4, I was triing to wring out the top end power, and these V-twins have NO top end power. I tried short shifting, and it was better. The low end torque was nice, but I'm much happier with the OMG rush of the top end of a great I4.

I've also ridden a Gen II FJR and love it. I'd really like to pick up a Gen 3 (or 4, as there are rumors of a total remake of the FJR, but I'm not convinced) in a few years. The addition of the throttle by wire and cruise control are a great addition to a great bike. I'm a little surprised the FJR still has a 5-speed, but it has more mid-range, so I guess it works with the 5 speed.

I'm anxious to hear about the Ninja 300 and the Ninja 1000.

I've also ridden a Gen II FJR and love it. I'd really like to pick up a Gen 3 (or 4, as there are rumors of a total remake of the FJR, but I'm not convinced) in a few years. The addition of the throttle by wire and cruise control are a great addition to a great bike. I'm a little surprised the FJR still has a 5-speed, but it has more mid-range, so I guess it works with the 5 speed.

Well Troy the FJR got a remake for 2013. It's pretty extensive, but not all new. It did add enough features to keep it competitive with the Concours, although it's still down on power. I'm looking forward to riding it when I go to Americade this year (early June in Lake George, NY).

I love the ride reports. I'm anxious to watch some video if you have it. :popcorn:

I have video for all of the bikes. I do however need to figure out how much to cut it down from the 30 minutes of footage. I may just either do highlights or do it in double time and slow down for the good stuff. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Well Troy the FJR got a remake for 2013. It's pretty extensive, but not all new. It did add enough features to keep it competitive with the Concours, although it's still down on power. I'm looking forward to riding it when I go to Americade this year (early June in Lake George, NY).

The remake from what I remember the guy mentioning was that the windshield is adjustable now with a vent channel through the center of the cowl that directs low pressure air to the front of the rider to prevent buffeting, there is electronic cruise control, rider select on the fly D-mode (drive mode) for touring or sport mode (I actually noticed a difference and liked it in S-mode), traction control and unified braking that applies both the front and the rear from using either brake. The braking was actually pretty cool.

Arlight, I spent another morning up at Westworld in Scottsdale riding bikes. It was a beautiful day but after two days in the sun and still in recovery from the 1200 miles I did on my California trip last week I am a little delirious. Every bike I rode today I would say was a top quality motorcycle and I would be a happy owner.

2013 Yamaha YZF-R6, 599cc inline 4, 6 speed chain drive

Ok, so after the scheduling snafu yesterday the ladies running the ride signup were nice enough to reserve both the R6 and Super Tenere for me first thing in the morning. I showed up 10 minutes before ride time and finally got to try out the awesome little effort in mechanized travel.

First Impression: I love the look of the R6. The matte gray color scheme and low slung lines make the bike just scream I'm a ninja killer. Sitting on the bike for the first time my size became apparent once again. However, and a big however I actually seem to fit right on there without any serious complaints from my back or knees.

As we took off on our ride my legs fit perfectly up against the tank and positioned my back to allow my vertebrae to stack easily. I would say it cut about 50% of the effort required by the ZX6-R to get a good position. The only issue I had is that I would need StompGrip on the tank immediately to reduce sliding forward. Even then fully slid forward my body position seemed to feel quite natural.

As we got out on the road I found that I wanted to keep the bike in a lower gear and RPM's up just to play around more so than on the ZX6-R. Funny side not on taking off I actually stalled the bike leaving the parking lot. I was annoyed that a lot of the Demo bikes had the clutch setup with the friction zone all the way at the end of the travel of the clutch lever, and I keep my Fz1 about mid way. However, I adjusted and still managed to get around the demo course without any further problems. At first corner I surprised myself a little bit at how sharp a turn in was from the input I gave the bike.

As the ride progressed and I became more in tune with the bike or vice versa I began to have an awesome experience. Cornering was inviting and confidence inspiring. With little input the bike seemed to acquire a line around a corner and hold it with need for little to no correction. Intuitive is the only word I could describe for the feeling of how the R6 seemed to know where to go even better than my noobish skills could account for. It was a stark contrast from the ZX6R that seemed to require constant attention, did not fit my body as well and I did not like the instrument cluster on the ZX6R(The R6 on the tachometer kept catching my eye).

I could go on and on about how much I liked the R6 but it is a supersport and really would only serve to be used at a track or some serious canyon carving like I did this last weekend (basically jail bait, because the bike just begs to go faster). I would have to truck the bike with me because there is no way I could ride it for an extended period of time. Bottom Line, the R6 was the most fun I had on 2 wheels thus far.

2013 Yamaha Super Tenere MSRP $14,790, 1199 cc parallel twin, shaft drive

So I already had my first impression of the Tenere from a fellow rider on the California trip. He had just purchased his bike and we had talked about it fairly extensively. I watched him stay toward the front of our middle group (B) most of the time and he seemed to be comfortable all day long. The Tenere is considered an adventure touring bike and I could easily see how it would fit that bill with aplomb.

Getting on the bike at first it just seemed like a solid well thought out, well built machine. The seat was comfortable, not quite as nice as the FJR but really close. The riding position seemed natural albeit a little bit upright, especially after coming off the R6.

As we set off on our ride at first I was a little thrown off with the high, large handlebars and the input needed for steering. After a few corners though and I was throwing the bike around with confidence. The throttle response was smooth, the cornering was stable and easy to manage. The brakes were far superior to the KLR that I had rode the day before. In fact everything was far superior to the KLR, although it should be for double the sticker price.

In summary for those of you that watched the RideApart youtube video where they took out the Super Tenere and the KTM Adventure 990 could appreciate that one of the editors said the Tenere was good in most aspects, yet great in none (albeit, it is not nearly the level of compromise you need for the KLR). I felt much the same way, it was a very good machine in many ways but just didn't have the awesome factor. Maybe out on a dirt road where it would have the chance to shine the Tenere would be more inspiring.

Quick comparison note. It really would be a tough call if you had to chose between one bike between an FJR1300A and a Super Tenere. If you know you want to stay on the street and have a sportier go then the FJR wins, if you might want to step off the road, the Tenere seems like it would be readily capable to get you as far off the beaten path as most would want to go with a motorcycle.

Ssky,
Really appreciate these ride reports!
You've got a pretty neutral reporting style - likely 'cause you're a pretty new rider. And don't mind calling a spade a spade...
That is super useful!
Can't wait to hear about the Ninja 1000!
I'm all ears! (or eyes..)

The Kawi rides i took today were the Versys and the Z1000.

Kawasaki Versys, MSRP $7,999, 649cc parallel twin, 6 speed chain drive

First Impression: The Versys does not inspire much in regard to lust for a ripping street run or willing to go far off into the mountains or desert. Kawi's marketing says that it is capable of street, dirt, or whatever you want to throw at it. However on closer inspection you can tell it is set up more for a street ride and being capable to just hit some hard packed dirt roads.

Setting off from the demo ride tent, the Versys was very easy to ride. I would almost say it was the easiest bike to hop on and just go of all the bikes I'd been on at that point. I would say the Versys is the best beginner bike that a person could chose (I did not ride the Fz6R but that is the only other bike I would consider). The Versys has a decent throttle response with adequate power, the braking was good and the cornering was very stable and easily better than the KLR and as good if not maybe a little crisper than the Tenere. I had a lot of fun on the Versys but after about 20 minutes I was ready to move on. The bike was very capable but just not enough after being on an Fz1.

Kawasaki Z100, MSRP $10,999, 1,043cc inline 4, 6 speed chain drive

First Impression: The Z1000 is just like my naked Fz1 but in Kawi green. I love my bike so it was easy to like the Z1000 off the bat. I however, did not like the digital tachomter and display. That was pretty much the only thing I did not like about the bike. I was trying to think which Transformer the Z1000 looked like but could not come up with one.

Ride Report: As we set off on the ride all I could think about was this is just like my Fz1. The instrument cluster kept annoying me because I am so used to riding my Fz1 off the tachomter needle ("All a speed freak need is needles and gasoline" great quote I was told). The ride leader was not as aggressive as I would have hoped but we still had fun. I found the only significant difference from the Fz1 was that the Z1000 did have a little better low end torque and a little smoother throttle below 5000 rpms. However, above 5000 rpms I would give the nod to the Fz1 which hasn't been significantly redone in 8 years. The Z1000 also gets a slight nod for suspension over the Fz1 because without even being tuned to my rider weight it felt slightly more comfortable/smooth on the road (I am starting to love my Fz1 though as my confidence is coming back. I almost touched a knee this afternoon hanging off my bike taking a right turn between 2 main streets at 35, lol).

In summary the Z1000 is a good bike, it seems very capable to provide a sport riding experience for those that don't want a full supersport setup.

Pics and video to follow. I just wanted to write reviews before I forgot.

In summary I would have to say my favorite bike for the week thus far is the FJR1300A. I hate to say it even but it seems to be so practical with the hard saddle bags, cruise control, wind protection and fun sporty motor that you could pretty much achieve all but the hardest sport riding with it. The only other temptation is the Super Tenere because there are so many dirt road options around me here in Arizona. Being able to comfortably tour up to some fire roads around Flagstaff or Sedona then cutting off road sounds like it could be a lot of fun. The R6 is a ton of fun and would be great to have but I don't think it would get a lot of mileage for me because of the comfort level.

When I was growing up and I would meet friends of my father or just random people that came into my life and I never understood why it was that guys that rode motorcycles usually had 2 or 3 in their garage. Now I totally get it. If I had a big garage and money was no problem I would probably have an FJR1300, Super Tenere, Fz1, R6 and Tuono V4R.

The Versys has the same engine as the ER-6n and Ninja 650, but a little different setup in suspension. The Versys may be too tall for some beginner riders, but the Ninja 650 might do. I'm not personally a fan of the rear shock off to the side. It makes it very hard to lower. My wife is considering moving up from her Ninja 250r to a Ninja 650 or FZ6R, although she thinks she might just like the Ninja 300. BTW, I've heard a lot of complaints about the friction zone on the Ninja 300. I think some of your feeling of the clutch not fully engaging at times could have been the slipper clutch. I've heard some complain about that too, but they say they get used to it after a bit.

As far as the FJR vs the Concourse, I know the FJR is down a bit on power, but I've heard bad things about the handling of the Concourse. I've never been on a Connie 14, so I couldn't really say, but with the addition of cruise, selectable mode, traction control and linked braking (not sure how I'd like that), I have to give the 'on paper' nod to the FJR for me. I'll have to ride a Connie sometime. The BMW 1600GT is what I really want, but I'm not dropping $20-30k on a bike at this point. Maybe buy an FJR and then trade it on a BMW later.

I also know that the FJR just had a refresh in 2013 (first of the Gen 3), but I've still heard a rumor (hard for me to believe) that there is a total remake of the FJR coming in a few years. Yamaha had better do some total remakes of something soon. Their whole lineup is getting stale, besides a few cruisers (on the Star side) and the Super Tenere.

I'm good with raw videos myself. I don't mind a 30 minute ride with just natural sounds.

My garage would look just like yours, but I don't think I'd have a need for the FZ1 anymore with the FJR and Tuono filling both rolls for which I would use the FZ1. I might (hard to say) even add a Warrior to the mix just to have a power cruiser or better yet, a V-Max. The Royal Star Venture looks comfy too, with a 1300cc V4, but it's very expensive, and I would use the FJR for just about anything the Royal Star Venture would do anyway (and way more fun). If I was going to drop $20-30k it would be on the BMW 1600GT anyway.

Last edited:
The Versys has the same engine as the ER-6n and Ninja 650, but a little different setup in suspension. The Versys may be too tall for some beginner riders, but the Ninja 650 might do.

Their whole lineup is getting stale, besides a few cruisers (on the Star side) and the Super Tenere.

I'm good with raw videos myself. I don't mind a 30 minute ride with just natural sounds.

My garage would look just like yours, but I don't think I'd have a need for the FZ1 anymore with the FJR and Tuono filling both rolls for which I would use the FZ1.

The 650 is almost as tall as the Versys. I was behind a guy on a 650 who was about 5'9-5'10. He was letting his leg hang down while riding and his foot still had 2 inches to the ground. You could just skip to the Z1000 it has adjustable ride height from the factory. I think up to 2.5 inch in adjustment.

The Yamaha lineup is stale. The tent for the demo rides was all dressed in Star propaganda, all the info pamphlets was Star. I don't get it. I guess the R6 just crushed the opening of MotoGP season and they don't have a trophy bike to at least display its awesomeness. I almost thought about writing an email to yamaha to ask them for some new stuff.

I would keep the Fz1 for nostalgic reasons and I've heard some people complain about Aprilia maintenance issues. With all the electronics on the Tuono I would like to have a backup bike

The 650 is almost as tall as the Versys. I was behind a guy on a 650 who was about 5'9-5'10. He was letting his leg hang down while riding and his foot still had 2 inches to the ground.

I have ridden both bikes and the 650R is quite a bit lower in seat height. I think the 650R seat height is about the same as the 250R at 31.5 inches. the Versys is a couple inches more and a couple inches makes quite a difference.

I like the Versys much more than the 650R as a bike overall. Fun bike :)

I had to look it up for the seat height info

Kawasaki Seat Heights
Ninja 300 ABS: 30.9"
Ninja 650 ABS: 31.7" (I think this replaced the 650R)
Ninja 1000 ABS: 32.3"
Versys: 33.3"
Z1000: 32.1"
ZX6-R: 32.7"
KLR 650: 35.0" (but suspension is soft as sand, eventually it hits bottom)

So, I guess there is a 1.6" seat height difference between the Versys and the Ninja 650 ABS: a 2.4" difference between the Versys and Ninja 300. It seems that would make a rather significant difference for a under 6 foot beginning rider. I think my weight just pushed right through the suspension so I didn't notice the height on the Versys.

Yamaha Seat Heights
Fz6R: 30.9"
Fz8: 32.1"
Fz1: 32.1"
R6: 33.5"
R1: 32.9"
Super Tenere: 33.3 or 34.3 (adjustable)
FJR1300A: 31.7 or 32.5 (adjustable)

I think it's interesting the R6 has the highest seat height for a sport bike.

I just had to share quick. I was drug to a birthday party by my girl but I had another awesome day riding bikes.

Real quick. I was able to get on a Ninja 1000 after jumping in the standby line. We go to take a right turn on to a main road that the lead rider would open it up a little on after making the turn. Well I kept it in first at 40 like I would on my Fz1 rolling on the throttle and then all of a sudden the front wheel is lifting off the ground. The way I could tell is the incline of the bike was going up more than the road. I had the front up about 2 maybe 3 feet. I controlled rolled off the throttle and the wheel came back down smooth. I was craping my pants. I have never wheelied before. Then I was scared to death they were going to pull me over and make me walk back. Luckily the ride leaders all missed it. I rode very calm for the rest of the ride lolololol.

Another fun day doing demo rides this morning. I got 5 more bikes in for a total of 14 different bikes in 3 days :cloud9::sport12:. The Yamaha Fz6R, Yamaha Fz8, Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS, Kawasaki Vulcan Vacquero, and Kawasaki Concourse 1400.

2013 Yamaha Fz6R MSRP $7,890, 600cc inline 4, chain drive

Show I get to the demo ride tent at 8:30 hoping to sign up for at least the Fz6R and as soon as I walk up my now friends that are signing up the rides are like. "Do you want to go for a ride?" and I was like sure how bout the Fz6R. They look on the list and are like it's yours. I hop on the bike and they are already getting us fired up to pull out.

First impression: the seat height is noticeably lower than the Fz6. Also it is a lot narrower than the it's predecessor. Rear set position is comfortable in a relatively upright position, more so upright than the Ninja 300 but still sporty. I do not really like fully faired motorcycles unless we are talking an FJR or Concourse but the styling on Fz6R fits in the R1/R6 family.

Ride Report: As we take off the first thing that comes relatively obvious is how smooth the throttle is. I know it is a hotly debated topic if the Fz6 had a twitchy throttle or not and the one I had was not the smoothest but the Fz6R is so smooth. I was trying to mess up getting on and off the throttle leaving the parking lot and it was stable/smooth the whole time. I really couldn't unsettle the bike. And for a beginning rider I could see this being a huge advantage. The brakes were solid and responsive without being grabby, (again I was trying to mess up) and the bike stayed balanced the whole time. The throttle response was noticeably weaker than the Fz6 but significantly better than the Ninja 300. I was able to keep up with the lead rider who was on an FJR1300A the whole (I could tell he could pull away from me if he wanted but it wasn't discouragingly or embarrassingly slower). I had a really good time on the Fz6R but after about 15 minutes I was ready to get on a bigger bike.

In summary the Fz6R fixed many of the problems with the Fz6, smoother throttle, no more engine vibration over 5000 rpms and better low end to create a really good beginner 600cc motorcycle. The only knock against it is it still used the same handlebars that were not very comfortable for me with how wide my shoulders are. But, for a more average size male or a female the ergonomics would be great for them.

Yamaha Fz8 MSRP $8,890, 779cc inline 4 with 6 speed chain drive

First Impression: When I got on the bike all I could think of was this feels like my Fz1 Streetfighter but a little smaller. I like the look of the Fz8 and the paint scheme is a little more raw with the Matte Gray color scheme. The instrument cluster sits a little higher and are in a better line of the sight than the Euro Naked Headlight mod on my Fz1.

Ride Report: As we set off on the ride my mind is playing tricks on me as it wants to believe I am back on my Fz1. I get on the throttle hard pulling away from the parking lot and will give the Fz8 as being a little smoother and not burdened with the initial lag that my Fz1 (no performance mods) has with sucking air in the intake at low RPMs. As we get into the first couple of corners I feel almost the same suspension issues that I have with my Fz1, a little wallow with increasing acceleration in corners, a little issue with rebound seesawing the bike, basically it's not bad but not as good as the stock Kawasaki setups. The definite nod goes to the Yamaha engines though. I just love keeping the RPMs up and ripping into the throttle.

In summary: The Fz8 is a great bike, a little bit of a badass edge to it and one could easily get caught up in the hooligan urges that plague some of us riders. For those who are not caught by the urge the Fz8 might not be the best bike for you because there are other options that provide more comfort or more well balanced performance.

Back