Audi to buy Ducati

A sponsorship agreement between Italian motorcycle company Ducati and the high-performance AMG division of Mercedes-Benz isn’t expected to carry on for much longer. The reason? Rival German luxury automaker Audi is said to be in exclusive talks with the storied bike manufacturer, which could result in a sale by as early as mid-April.

Read it all in here

I didn't realize Ducati was losing so much money...

Well it should be an interesting partnership for sure. The Germans do have some very good engineering skills so it will be interesting to see what the future will bring for Ducati.

The VAG has done a lot of good for the other Italian companies they have bailed out so this looks like a promising partnership.

I do find it unusual that AMG is not interested in buying Ducati despite their marketing partnership

The VAG has done a lot of good for the other Italian companies they have bailed out so this looks like a promising partnership.

I do find it unusual that AMG is not interested in buying Ducati despite their marketing partnership

I do too, especially now that AMG is even making their own engines and separate models (based on M-B ones of course). Would have given then a good way to compete against BMW...

Everyone should at least test ride a Ducati for comparison......Hell, they even do extended rides and rent them out now (that might tell you something). Ducatis are well made, but precisely tuned bikes. The maintenance costs for Ducati are ridiculous. Some of them are sure cool to look at and, at times, fun to ride. But, more of a luxury item than a univeral bike for daily riding, IMO. I think the Ducati is marketed and produced too narrowly. I know they are proud of being "exclusive", but it seems it limits the customer when there are too few mechanics to work on the bikes and the bikes require more attention than other brands (valve adjustments round the clock!). But, I think Ducati likes it that way.

I briefly rode a 2007 Monster S4RS over a summer. I still even have a Ducati jacket that fits well.

Last edited:
Ducati is a niche' bike, looks great and hard on the body. No doubt an excellent track bike.

Volkswagen is trying to become the world's largest producer of automobiles in the next ten years. Audi is the luxury division of that company. Makes sense to me for them to buy Ducati.

Mercedes bought Chrysler a few years ago and they are making a ton of money now. Goes to show what decent management and a product that consumers want to buy will do for a balance sheet.

[Ducati is a niche' bike, looks great and hard on the body. No doubt an excellent track bike.]

I am a Ducati owner, I agree it is not a bike for everybody. I would not lump all of the motorcycles produced into one catagory, the supersports are harsh and purpose built, the standards and Hypermotards are not. The purchase price point in my opinion is not the problem, it is the cost of ownership that is the unpleasant part of the Ducati choice.

Last edited:
Ducati is a niche' bike, looks great and hard on the body. No doubt an excellent track bike.

Volkswagen is trying to become the world's largest producer of automobiles in the next ten years. Audi is the luxury division of that company. Makes sense to me for them to buy Ducati.

Mercedes bought Chrysler a few years ago and they are making a ton of money now. Goes to show what decent management and a product that consumers want to buy will do for a balance sheet.

Mercedes no longer owns Chrysler. Fiat is now the proud owner.

What are they playing hot potato?

See how GM blocked the sale of SAAB to a chinese consortium... bye bye SAAB...

They had to since GM was still (or had until very recently) supplied Saab with an SUV to sell as their own. They didn't want the Chinese to get their hands on the designs...

Well the Ducati will cost you a lot more in servicings...
Do you want a Twin cyl or a 4 cyl?
Atfer market upgrade or bolt on parts may be cheaper (anything associated with Ducati is going to cost more)...
Do'n get me wrong, I love Ducati's, I just can't afford one....

Back