Bad Coil?

Mario m

Hello,

My 2005 FZ1 has a bad miss. So I changed the plugs no difference. It seems #1 cylinder isn't firing? I haven't had much time to look at it. I'm thinking maybe a bad coil?

Is this a known problem with the gen 1 Fz1? I see the part is not available anymore and started looking around on the internet. I see alot of used on EBAY and aftermarket new parts .Will the old R1 parts fit. Has anyone here tried the aftermarket coils?

I'm going to try to look at it this weekend and maybe do an OHM test on the coil.

Any feedback would be great.
Thanks ,Mario

Last edited:
Yeah I ran it for a bit.
Used my laser thermometer for my pizza oven and #1 was way cooler.
That part isn't available . I found a couple on ebay. I'm going to put an old plug in the #1 wire to see if I have spark. I'm also going to clean up all connections and put dielectric grease to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the input

When was the last time you had your carbs cleaned? I struggled with a misfire and I was convinced it was ignition related only to learn I had a blocked pilot jet.

Gen I coils aren't a common failure. Try removing the spark plug wire and twist the wire into the boot as you push it in. I was able to get 2-3 turns on all my plug wires before they got tight.

Maybe remove the #1 spark plug while the wire is disconnected and inspect it for cracks or other problems.

Just an update of what is going on.
I pulled my sparkplug wires and all the boots where able to be spun about 4 times around till they where tight on the wires.
I ran the bike with Seafoam and let it sit for a couple of days.
I took it out today and it ran perfectly. I ran the rest of the half of tank of gas that I added the Seafoam to without a hiccup.I filled it up with fresh gas before I got home .
I don't know if it was the wires or the Seafoam or maybe both? I'm just happy I don't have to pull the carburetors off at this point to clean .

Old guy that used to run the independent shop near me, always would clip about 1/4" off the end of the plug wires ( when applicable ) to get some "fresh contact" for the wires in the plug boots.

Back