Hi,

This summer I ecu flashed my 07 fz1 here in Sweden (ecunleashed). I made the Lars airbox mod and installed a k&n filter, then took away the catalytic converter. It already had a slipon before. The dealer did the flash and made fuel adjustments for these mods mentioned. It goes great with db-killer in, but I noticed that if I take out the db-killer in my mivv gp slipon the idle gets weird and jumps up and down between about 1100-1300 rpm. This mainly happens when warm. I ride it, stop for a little while, then when I start again it is worst. Also a little hesitant when cold.

According to ecunleashed they made the flash with the o2 sensor active. Mayby that got hurt when i smashed out the catalytic converter...
With the db-killer in this problem does not occur. What could this be?

Hi,

This summer I ecu flashed my 07 fz1 here in Sweden (ecunleashed). I made the Lars airbox mod and installed a k&n filter, then took away the catalytic converter. It already had a slipon before. The dealer did the flash and made fuel adjustments for these mods mentioned. It goes great with db-killer in, but I noticed that if I take out the db-killer in my mivv gp slipon the idle gets weird and jumps up and down between about 1100-1300 rpm. This mainly happens when warm. I ride it, stop for a little while, then when I start again it is worst. Also a little hesitant when cold.

According to ecunleashed they made the flash with the o2 sensor active. Mayby that got hurt when i smashed out the catalytic converter...
With the db-killer in this problem does not occur. What could this be?
I had almost the same issue with a '07. It started ok at any temperature, but choked when revved cold. It also wouldn't start when hot, and the idle was irregular. I hadn't done any flash but I had the Lars mod, K&N filter, and de-cat without db-killer. I basically solved my problem by raising the idle to 1300 or 1500 RPM, can't remember exactly which. The previous owner might have fiddled with the dash CO settings, take a look at this page for some info: Set the CO for my FZ1 year 2007 - FZ1OA Message Board

Skickat från min HTC 10 via Tapatalk

Yes, I have noticed the effect of raising the idle, but it sort of comes back in a while again. Mayby I should just raise it even more, but it feels weird having an idle above 1500 rpm...
But you dont think this is somehow related to the o2 sensor?

And now when I think about it, the reason the idle probably is fine with the db-killer in is because the idle is raised quite a bit compared to not having the db-killer in. It sort of lowered the idle with 200-300rpm by the increased resistance when I put it in, which I had to correct up again.

I have read about all the causes for bad idle on this bike and it seems to be everything from bad coils to throttle position sensor, vacuum leaks, leaking exhaust (which I also had at first, but fixed) etc etc, but nothing makes sense because it appeared the very moment it was flashed/modded.

The flash was like I said made with the o2 sensor activated. What would happen if I simply put an o2 eliminator in the bike? Would the bike go like crap, lean, rich?

I will try fiddle with the idle a bit more next time I ride, but it is winter here now and Sweden and I havent been able to ride for 6 weeks... :(

Yes, I have noticed the effect of raising the idle, but it sort of comes back in a while again. Mayby I should just raise it even more, but it feels weird having an idle above 1500 rpm...
But you dont think this is somehow related to the o2 sensor?

And now when I think about it, the reason the idle probably is fine with the db-killer in is because the idle is raised quite a bit compared to not having the db-killer in. It sort of lowered the idle with 200-300rpm by the increased resistance when I put it in, which I had to correct up again.

I have read about all the causes for bad idle on this bike and it seems to be everything from bad coils to throttle position sensor, vacuum leaks, leaking exhaust (which I also had at first, but fixed) etc etc, but nothing makes sense because it appeared the very moment it was flashed/modded.

The flash was like I said made with the o2 sensor activated. What would happen if I simply put an o2 eliminator in the bike? Would the bike go like crap, lean, rich?

I will try fiddle with the idle a bit more next time I ride, but it is winter here now and Sweden and I havent been able to ride for 6 weeks... :(
My problem also appeared suddenly, and yes, it felt weird raising the idle.. For about the rest of the day. I never thought of it again

I now also came to think of one more thing when I installed the K&N filter, It did not fit 100% properly. Mayby this could be the cause? Change to another? DNA or BMC?

I now also came to think of one more thing when I installed the K&N filter, It did not fit 100% properly. Mayby this could be the cause? Change to another? DNA or BMC?
Maybe those yamaha engineers actually calculated how much air should flow through the OEM filter and set the fuel injection to be just perfect, you know? And then here we come, a bunch of know-it-all weld-stuff-in-my-garage guys and change years of development in a second, with a saw, and a bigger pipe, and a coarser filter. No wonder it doesn't run like cream anymore. On the other hand, when it runs a bit rough, you get the feeling that you built a dragster. Those flames spewing out of the exhaust, and the deceleration pops, and the deafening acceleration roar make it worth while. Stop worrying about it, raise the idle and start burning rubber [emoji41]

And no matter how much effort you put into modifying the Fz1, if you don't put a fucking turbo on it, it will still be slower than the mt10. And it will always feel like a riding a pig in comparison, because it's 10 years of chassis development between the two

And no matter how much effort you put into modifying the Fz1, if you don't put a fucking turbo on it, it will still be slower than the mt10. And it will always feel like a riding a pig in comparison, because it's 10 years of chassis development between the two

Well, atleast it dont look like a pig being sexually abused and have a seating position like a old womans wheel chair :sinister:

Anyhow, to the subject..
I ordered myself an DNA filter to replace my K&N that did not fit properly. Wether this will solve the idle I dont know, but atleast it will seal the airbox tight.

The K&N airfilter fitment issue is a known problem, some people trim it down, others buy a BMC or DNA and send the K&N filter back. When you install the new filter, check to see if the top of your airbox is warped still. You may need to warm it up so that it bends back into shape - You can gently warm it with a hair dryer, or you can wait and it will bend back over time.

A question for you.

Have you had the bike professionally tuned for your modifications? Or have you pulled a map off of the web and put it in?

I would strongly recommend getting a professional tune for your bike. If you pull a map off the web, you are getting a map designed for someone else's bike with their mods, using the fuel they use for the climate they run in. It may be close to what you need, but it won't be perfect.

Yes, I have read about the bad fitment of the k&n filter, but for some reason i bought it any way back then, probably of the same reason most others buy it, the brand is known. The DNA is on its way and I will make sure it makes the airbox fits properly like it should this time. Really bad from k&n to make this filter and dont correct it, and the fz1 seems not to be the only one with bad fitment.

I havent done a proper dyno tune, yet. The fuel map was included in the flash from ecunleashed with the corrections for my mods. Except for the idle issue (which is not necessarily because of the flash itself), the bike goes great with a lot more power everywhere. But of course there is most likely more to gain from a proper dyno tune, but I will first wait and see the outcome with the new filter and fitment of the airbox and the raised idle etc.
I actually have an pc3 laying at home which I bought for 72 GBP from ebay a few days ago :)
It turns out we can use the r1 04-06 powercommander to our bike, and that greatly increased the amount of available to bid on

So, received my new airfilter today in the post. Amazing, one, ONE, delivery day from Greece to me in Sweden with DHL
Will install this weekend and see how it fits. Just hope the airbox haven't been bent during the time with k&n

Skickat från min D6503 via Tapatalk

So, received my new airfilter today in the post. Amazing, one, ONE, delivery day from Greece to me in Sweden with DHL
Will install this weekend and see how it fits. Just hope the airbox haven't been bent during the time with k&n

Skickat från min D6503 via Tapatalk
Hey man did you ever figure out that rough idle issue? I have the same problem bike chokes cold and idle bounces up and down when warm. Can’t figure it out, can you?

Back