Battery Wont Charge While Riding

I have an 03 with electrical issues and came here to hopefully finalize my decision of whats wrong with it. Last fall I replaced the stator (due to issues I can go into detail later on if needed.) I took it out for a ride and stopped it for a break before heading back home. (maybe 20-30 minute ride) Went to start it back up and was completely dead. no power to dash not even a click from a dead battery sound. It was like my key was set to off still. Frustrated I put it into storage (it was about october here in the PNW, so pretty much rain for the next 6 months).

I just recently pulled it back out, got the battery charged up, and got it running! I checked the voltage on the batter at idle and after revving above 3k rpms the batter was over 13v I believe, I cant remember the exact numbers! :*( I believed that meant the bike was charging it! (I guess I was wrong...) I was hoping my connectors were just loose causing the silly dead bike last fall. I tightened it all up and rode it about 15-20 minutes home from where I was keeping it. (I should have checked the voltage on the battery after riding it but I didnt).

I then took it out 2 days later on a longer ride. at about 30 minutes in, my dash power starts to bounce on and off for a second at idle! The next light I get to while idling I notice my rpm and speedometer gages bounce and my clock going on and off and other lights on the dash doing the same. when I gave it gas it stopped. About 4 minutes later (trying to race home) while revved it starts doing it more. Pulling into my place my dash went completely dead, but the bike still ran. Not perfect, but was running and would revv if needed. (I have footage of this if ya'll wanna see it)
This time I checked the battery. Here are the readings I got:
bike off - 10.4v
(I jumped it) Idle - 10.3v
revved to over 3k rpm - 11.1v

I came here and read some forums. Someone said that battery readings at 10.8v is so low it isnt funny. welp.. so I am guessing I will be replacing my battery (which I got last spring may I add). However, I am here asking if I get a new battery, is my bike going to kill the new battery too? Will it charge? or is my rectifier bad now? Or did I install my stator wrong..(not sure how I could do that, but I guess its possible). I am not electrical savvy but really dont want to take it to a mechanic.

Any ideas??

Voltage is definitely too low to charge the battery. Pull the stator connector from the regulator and check the resistance across pins 1 and 3 and 2 and 3. I don't have the Gen 1 service manual anymore but is probably in the 0.14 to 0.18 ohm range. If this is ok then start the bike and Rev to 5000 rpm and measure the AC voltage across these same 2 pin pairs. It is probably in the 20V AC or higher range. If it is too low then there is a problem with the charging circuit (stator etc.). If this voltage is fine and the output of the regulator is below 14V DC then the regulator is bad.

Back