Bear Mountain Sunday

I'm there! I am going to take the YZF1000 instead of the FZ1 just to ride it a bit. See you at the top of the mountain around 9:30-10. Need to be back home by 2 PM...

I'm there! I am going to take the YZF1000 instead of the FZ1 just to ride it a bit. See you at the top of the mountain around 9:30-10. Need to be back home by 2 PM...

Sounds good. I'll be there. Maybe we can go back through 7 Lakes Drive to 17A to Greenwood Lake. Thats a great ride. We could probably find a place to eat up at the lake.

Also, if Steve F sees this post, I'm not sure how far you are from Tony but your more than welcome to join us up there this weekend. It's going to be a tame ride, on my part at least, as I can't afford another ticket. Not sure how far you are from Northern NJ and Greenwood Lake. Let us know.

Thanks for the invite guys. Dammit, I would love to come but it's my younger daughter's birthday. Gotta stay local. We have family friends coming over, a party, etc., etc, etc. You know the drill.

Have fun and post some pics. Wish I could be there. Definitely next time!

Well, just two friggin days on public transportation and I'm sick! How friggin wonderful. If I feel like this tomorrow I'll have to sit out on the ride. The last thing I want to do is be sick up on the mountain. I will let everyone know tomorrow morning if I'm going to attempt it. Sorry.

good 'ol (cough) public transportation.....(sniff). I use to hate the sterilizer my wife made me put on -- now seems even I carry some with me....

hope you get to feeling better and are able to go up on the MT. in the A.M.

Don't count me out yet. My temperature is 102.4 and holding steady. Currently sweating it out. I'm burning up and currently having halucinations! (Just Kidding). My son is taking good care of his old man. If I can sweat this out before bedtime, I may be okay for tomorrow. I'll take the rear so that I don't pass my germs back through the pack. Let's see what happens. Richie is going for medicine right now.

Last edited:
Don't count me out yet. The temperature is 102.4 and holding steady. Currently sweating it out. I'm burning up and currently having halucinations! (Just Kidding). My son is taking good care of his old man. If I can sweat this out before bedtime, I may be okay for tomorrow. I'll take the rear so that I don't pass my germs back through the pack. Let's see what happens. Richie is going for medicine right now.

Hope you feel better by tomorrow. It's going to be a nice day for riding that's for sure...

Hope you feel better by tomorrow. It's going to be a nice day for riding that's for sure...

Thanks Tony. I'm so pissed off! Ray had brought me the new fuel filter which I wanted to install this afternoon, if for anything, to give me some confidence to take the bike for a longer ride. I'm still hoping that I could get downstairs today to install it, just in case I decide to go. Richie is on his way back from the pharmacy so maybe I can pop a couple of pills and do what I have to do.

Against the doctor's orders (my son), I went downstairs and changed out my fuel filter. It was a 20 minute job and thank God I did. It was totally black inside! I'm assuming that it was the original filter that came with the bike. I'm happy that it's done as it gives me piece of mind if I should venture up to the mountain tomorrow. I'm going to take the pilss the pharmacist gave me and get a good nights sleep. I'll be online early tomorrow morning to make a decision as to whether Richie and I are going. At this point I feel really good and it looks good for tomorrow. If we do go, we should be up at Perkins by 10:00am, give or take a few minutes.

As a different doc, don't push your luck. I rode when I was sick and my mind went right but me and the bike went left. Not like you can be lazy on a bike like you can when you are on a cage.....

I hear that Adam. Seriously though, I wouldn't get on the bike unless I was absolutely certain that I was okay. My son isn't going regardless as he says its too early for him. The medication is also Non Drowsy and I read the entire label and nowhere does it say not to operate equipment so It should be okay.

Well, I didn't get to go this morning as the bike started with the same crap again. I checked everything today except the ignition switch and the fuel pump again. Tony, thanks so much for that thread. You may have singled out the problem for me. Although I won't know until tomorrow.

As soon as I turned the key this morning it idled like crap. Thank God it happened when it did and not up on the mountain. I immediately removed the fairings and removed all the spark plugs, checking for spark, one by one. Each plug sparked just fine when close to ground. Next, I checked the primary resistance of each coil and each measured 2.8 Ohms, well within spec. I then checked the secondary resistance and we got 17,100 Ohms. Normal is 15 to 20,000.

So now I said let me check the fuse block and everything checked out. Still the bike wouln't even fire up now. Hmm?????? This is driving me nuts! Just sitting next to the bike on my rolling stool, I just had a yearning to turn the handlebars to the left. Don't ask me why. The friggin bike started! I shut it down and turned to the right and nothing again. Am I getting close??? Don't know.

I turn it back to the left and get the bike started real crappy. As an act of desperation, I started to yank on the fuel pump and pump wires. Vrrrooom! The bike starts running better. I keep wiggling and banging and all of a sudden the bike is now perfect!??

Now I can't get it to run crappy anymore. I quickly grab my seat and helmet, close the garage, and hit the streets. The bike runs flawlessly??? I don't get it. Now in Tony's link, it wound up being the ignition switch being loose. My switch is missing the little sliding door where the key goes since I bought it. Could it be dirty and maybe moisture build-up??? Maybe.

The problem is that the bike reacted to two separate things. Me turning the handlebars, and me banging and yanking on the fuel pump. Tomorrow when I get home from work, I will test the switch for voltage drops while wiggling the key. As for the pump, I totally assume that it may be intermittently shutting down and is bad.

I feel I am close to a fix. If by Wednesday, I don't have a fix, I am renting a U-Haul from work ( I get them cheap), and bringing the bike to Ivan. I would try to tackle this myself but I am so sick with this strange on and off fever, that I am just too weak at this point to even go downstairs.

Thanks again to Tony for the link. It was perfect in helping me rule things out. Ray called and told me that you met Ivan up on the peak today. I'm sorry I missed it. He also told you guys that the fuel pump can be intermittent. It may be a combination of a dirty ignition switch and the pump as well. If I'm still breathing tomorrow, I'll post my findings on the switch when I get home. I know this thread is going to be a big help to anyone with a GenI bike with this issue. I gotta go lay down again. It's just too hot in here! Talk to you guys later.

Well I am glad that you have been able to narrow it down somewhat. The other thing that Ivan mentioned as a possible culprit was the "black box", which I am assuming he was referring to the ignition control box. The weird thing is that simply by turning the handle bars it started running fine again. Leads me to believe it may indeed be the wiring or the contacts of the ignition switch. Nothing else makes sense at this point...

It was nice to bs with Ivan for about 30-45 minutes before Ray showed up. It's funny how no one else recognized him so we weren't bothered by anybody else.

Ray took a lot of pictures of my YZF and a few other bikes as well as Ivan and me. He told me he was going to post them later, but sometimes he forgets ;)

Well I am glad that you have been able to narrow it down somewhat. The other thing that Ivan mentioned as a possible culprit was the \"black box\", which I am assuming he was referring to the ignition control box. The weird thing is that simply by turning the handle bars it started running fine again. Leads me to believe it may indeed be the wiring or the contacts of the ignition switch. Nothing else makes sense at this point...

It was nice to bs with Ivan for about 30-45 minutes before Ray showed up. It's funny how no one else recognized him so we weren't bothered by anybody else.

Ray took a lot of pictures of my YZF and a few other bikes as well as Ivan and me. He told me he was going to post them later, but sometimes he forgets ;)

I have learned that with Ray, you have to wait a few days for any pictures. When it comes to photography, he is very anal. He's probably home right now touching up each photo. You'll probably see them by next Wednesday or Thursday!:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Back