Better than GoPro?

MiCamcorder - Mi-96HD HD POV Camera
hdmax1080p.jpg

It has a slightly smaller field of view but comes with a screen and remote. By the time you add those accesories to the gopro you're at the same price or more.

Video:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu7VrYJkNbs&hd=1]GSX-R 750 with Mi Camcorder Mi-96HD at 720p 60 fps[/ame]

If I had to judge on that one video alone... I like the GoPro better.

This camera doesn't seem to handle dynamic range or contrast very well. Everything looks gray, and the whole scene is very flat...

That looks like a nice alternative to the GoPro HD. I would just like to see some sort of "protective" cover for that lens. It has a lot of surface area which is just waiting for rocks or debris to come smacking into it. Other than that, I like it alot. Thanks Patrice for posting!:tup:

The wind noise is terrible, but the picture looks good. Looks a bit more fragile with too many external buttons and screen.

My experience so far is the GoPro is really easy to use in all respects.

Okay, maybe I should have put my speakers on this morning before stating my opinion. The wind noise, like Lee said, is terrible! That's definitely not good if your going to be doing alot of onboard videos. A big part of the allure for me in "onboard videos" is the sound of the engine and upshifting and downshifting. I'm not a big fan of music playing during an onboard video. It takes away from the whole "experience" in my honest opinion. At 75 dollars more than the base package for the GoPro, they would need to address the mic issue.

Okay, maybe I should have put my speakers on this morning before stating my opinion. The wind noise, like Lee said, is terrible! That's definitely not good if your going to be doing alot of onboard videos. A big part of the allure for me in "onboard videos" is the sound of the engine and upshifting and downshifting. I'm not a big fan of music playing during an onboard video. It takes away from the whole "experience" in my honest opinion. At 75 dollars more than the base package for the GoPro, they would need to address the mic issue.

Then you won't like my next video. In order to shorten the length and not just cut out large sections (which I did as well) you have to speed them up. As soon as you do the track sound disappears. The music just fills the otherwise empty void (trying not to bore the audience). As I become more comfortable with the whole editing process I will have more bike sound and less music. I already am mixing the two, as I tend to learn quickly.

What editing software are you using Lee?? Upon advice from VA, I picked up Cyberlink's Power Director 9, and never looked back. It has become my "sole" editing software for the GoPro. It's super easy to use, has many useful functions, and can directly upload to YouTube through the software in HD. Pretty decent stuff. You should check it out.

What editing software are you using Lee?? Upon advice from VA, I picked up Cyberlink's Power Director 9, and never looked back. It has become my "sole" editing software for the GoPro. It's super easy to use, has many useful functions, and can directly upload to YouTube through the software in HD. Pretty decent stuff. You should check it out.

Just Windows Movie Maker. Simple to use, and can choose what definition to upload with. I have been uploading smaller files (lower def.) to speed up the process. I will have a look at Cyberlink. I would like to make more professional title and credit screens and Jazz it up a bit. Still learning, but having fun with it, which is the main thing.

I will make DVD's in full HD once I have enough footage to fill one. That will give me something to watch during the long cold winter. I would like to be able to do voice overs in certain situations. This is all just practice for the big Bike trip to Utah. There I will have a reason to take lots of footage.

I have the Drift HD170. I absolutely love this camera. It's less bulky than the GoPro and as really good video quality. I use mine with the external mic that I have set up inside my helmet. Although I have not used a GoPro,I think if I ever have to get another camera it will be another Drift.

I've seen an option for the external mic and a case. I've been looking for an economic alternative to the gopro to upgrade from my mini dvs and to possibly start selling them from my blog. I wouldn't call this one economic but with all the features in one package to me it seems to be a viable alternative.

I agree with a case and maybe some tape on the mic, it would be worth it. Unfortunately I haven't found a place where you can actually order the case. To me if the price were lower, it might be worth a try. For a cheapskate like me, the crocolis hd may be my upgrade.
Crocolis-HD_ordinary_660.jpg

But I'm still looking for the sub-$100 1080p cam with 30/60fps options that's not a keychain cam!

I'm sure as time passes, they will come out with HD Cams, comparable to the GoPro for less money than they are now. It's just a matter of time. Until then, just stay with what you have. It works just fine!:tup:

They are already out there you just must be willing to accept some compromises (like I have with the mini dvs) and take a few chances. Some of those cams are complete crap! I was lucky with my first purchases, not so much with some others (the flashlight one is a good example). I really wish they'd 1080p the MD80 or at least full 720p like they did with the keychain cam.

I finally changed the firmware on my cams to remove the time stamp. that'll feel like an upgrade for a while but soon I'm going to want 60fps!

They are already out there you just must be willing to accept some compromises (like I have with the mini dvs) and take a few chances. Some of those cams are complete crap! I was lucky with my first purchases, not so much with some others (the flashlight one is a good example). I really wish they'd 1080p the MD80 or at least full 720p like they did with the keychain cam.

I finally changed the firmware on my cams to remove the time stamp. that'll feel like an upgrade for a while but soon I'm going to want 60fps!

That will make for HUGE files to process. 3.8G for 1280x960 @ 30fps 40 minutes of footage on one of the ones that I shot yesterday. I will be trying 60 fps and 1960x1280 soon. The time to process scares me though.

The cam looks ok but the mic needs something changed there.
I love my new GoPro HD 2

I think a piece of tape over the mic would have gone a long way to help that. From my experience where and how you mount the cam affects how much wind turbulence you record. That cam also has an external mic input that will let you record in stereo. The internal mic is mono just like on the go pro.

That will make for HUGE files to process. 3.8G for 1280x960 @ 30fps 40 minutes of footage on one of the ones that I shot yesterday. I will be trying 60 fps and 1960x1280 soon. The time to process scares me though.

That's why I haven't bought anything yet. My pc is a home-built work in progress so I need to make some more progress on it before I actually buy a higher spec camera. But the research is apart of the fun!

Oh okay, I thought it was the other way around. It helps to keep the videos at no more than 10 minutes or less. I usually break up the larger vids into two parts. It seems to help out with the uploading.

Maybe the internet connection? We usually have 3 other people hooked up to the wireless modem (at any given time, smart phone addicts) with the main unit hardwired. The system is encrypted so not sharing with the neighbors, etc. Or maybe You Tube is that slow? I am not sure. I am working on a 7 minute video from this afternoon, sans music or much else, and dumbed down so it won't take all night to upload. I went to upload the HD version and it showed 333 minutes (to upload) so I scuttled that plan!

Watch for it in about an hour on the other thread (if you are bored). The engine sounds come through not bad.

Maybe the internet connection? We usually have 3 other people hooked up to the wireless modem (at any given time, smart phone addicts) with the main unit hardwired. The system is encrypted so not sharing with the neighbors, etc. Or maybe You Tube is that slow? I am not sure. I am working on a 7 minute video from this afternoon, sans music or much else, and dumbed down so it won't take all night to upload. I went to upload the HD version and it showed 333 minutes (to upload) so I scuttled that plan!

Watch for it in about an hour on the other thread (if you are bored). The engine sounds come through not bad.

No, definitely not the norm for YouTube. That is definitely a connection problem for sure. I uploaded a 1-1/2 minute video yesterday and it took about 3 minutes to upload and process. A seven minute video should be done in about 15 minutes!

Back