Bike #11! My 2002 VFR800

So, I found some of that 3M tape, it's called Grip Walk. I ordered a length of it on eBay for $2.75 and cut a piece for the foot pad on the stand. Let's see how it works on the next rainy day :)

6 month update:

I've got something like 11,000 km (7000 miles) on this bike now and I've definitely bonded with it. What a fantastic bike. It's really a true 'do it all'. I've never ridden a bike so well engineered and so competent out of the box. It's not that it has high end components or that it has a powerful engine or anything like that; it's the way the components that it has were all matched together so well and there's very little I'd want or need to change on it.

I did add auxiliary LED lights but that was not necessary at all. I did add a Corbin seat but only because it was a great bargain at the time. Other than that, it's as it came from the factory. Very impressed.

Even the stock suspension is sufficient for me and has great feedback and excellent damping without compromising comfort. It's nimble, easy to handle and responsive. Very planted, very stable. I have plenty of confidence on it even with stiff Bridgestones that I don't normally feel confident on.

I covered plenty of distance on my Texas trip and the bike ate it up without a hiccup. It loves to cruise at speed all day long.

If I had any complaints, I'd say the brakes are pretty weak but I haven't done pads or fluids yet. The lines are due for a change, too. It's also a hot runner. The cooling system isn't great at low speed and a hot day stuck in traffic you're guaranteed that the fans will be working overtime to cool it down. It's not a huge deal, I suppose.

I am really happy with the VFR now and glad I chose it. Before my trip to Texas, I hadn't formed the same connection as I did with the 919. I was never quite sure if I was going to keep it or whether I really wanted a bike like it. I knew it was a great bike but was on the fence on whether it was the bike for me. We're mates now. :)

Looking forward to more riding.

Last edited:
So, today is one year with the VFR! I am just touching 69,000 km now which equates to 23,000 km ridden since I've owned it. I am still really happy with the bike and I think it's going to stay with me for a while.

The bike is probably due for spark plugs and I'm sure for an air filter as well. During my Oregon trip, I was getting some sputtering in the mid range for some reason. Despite that, I was getting 48 MPG the whole weekend! Pretty stellar.

My fork oil and seals were changed earlier but the rear shock feels really tired now. I think maybe it's time to put some money into it.

This guy is highly recommended by the VFR community: Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification

He does VFR-specific work and what he offers seems great

Also, bike needs new pads for sure. Brakes are still a bit bleh

Last edited:
So, today is one year with the VFR! I am just touching 69,000 km now which equates to 23,000 km ridden since I've owned it. I am still really happy with the bike and I think it's going to stay with me for a while.

The bike is probably due for spark plugs and I'm sure for an air filter as well. During my Oregon trip, I was getting some sputtering in the mid range for some reason. Despite that, I was getting 48 MPG the whole weekend! Pretty stellar.

My fork oil and seals were changed earlier but the rear shock feels really tired now. I think maybe it's time to put some money into it.

This guy is highly recommended by the VFR community: Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification

He does VFR-specific work and what he offers seems great

Also, bike needs new pads for sure. Brakes are still a bit bleh

Wow the the year went by quick .. That's great that you got a good bike and 48 mpg to top it off !!

3 year anniversary with my Rhubarb! 102,000 km and still treating me well. I am going to need to start thinking about brake pads, air filter and maybe a fork service with new steering head bearings but I'll probably get through the winter just fine first.

Back