Birthday Pseudo Ride Report

I broke in the Triumph Tiger on a 2,000 mile trip from Houston to Albuquerque, New Mexico. Unfortunately it was not a sight seeing trip. It was a marathon run there and back just to spend 3 full days with my dad, step mother, sister and niece. Even though I was in a bit of a hurry I did have fun.

I left on my birthday, Tuesday, October 15th at around 5:00 AM in the morning. My first stop was at Rudy's BBQ in Waco, TX. because they have the best freaking breakfast tacos of anywhere I have ever been. Spicy chopped beef with egg & cheese is my favorite.

After passing Fort Worth I had 300 miles of rain and wind. The Avon Distanzia tires did well. I cruised along at 80 even in the rain and never had even one slip.

600 miles after I started on the 15th I reached my destination for the day, Amarillo TX. 600 miles is a personal best for me in a siongle day on the bike. I wasn't even sore. The triumph is much more comfy than my FZ1 or VFR was. In Amarillo you really have no choice but to go to Big Texas for dinner. Nice filet with crumbled blue cheese was a nice finish to my long day.

Day 2 - October 16th. What should have been a fairly easy 280 miles in to Albuquerque. The rain, sleet, hail and snow followed me all morning. Every 25 minutes or so it got dangeraous enough that I needed to pull over and let it pass. I was read for cold and I was ready for rain but not both at the same time. New boots, gloves and heated grips are being budgeted for.

I did get to do some motosploring between Amarillo and Albuquerque. I bought a book on Route 66 and took a few detours on the way.

My first stop was a nice little diner that claims to be the half way point on Old Route 66 between Chicago and Los Angeles. As you can see this was another stop to get out of the rain. I was there for two hours and made lots of friends. ;)

Food is freaking awesome. My green chile omlet was one of the best I ever had.

Take it with a grain of ssalt. The owner of the diner tells me that this is the generally accepted half way point "post Santa Fe", whatever that means.....

My Wolfman dry bags held up well. I am very happy with them. They took about 45 minutes or so to get setup just right. Once setup they come off and go back on pretty quick and easy. These babies help 4 bottle of home made wine for my trip out there. Lots of green chili for the ride back.

Just because I like this photo.

I took this photo at a horse trail riding facility named Broken Saddle. My niece, stepmother and sister had an appointment. I came by to take photos of them.

This is off of 14 in New Mexico.

While everyone was on their 2 hour horseback ride went on to Pecos National Forest (North East of Sante Fe) to get my mountain ride fix.

Last edited:
Good stuff Brad! Wish the weather had been a little better for ya on your ride out, but it seems like it cleared off nicely?

And I hope someone sang Happy Birthday to you on your day
if you had told them at the restaurant, they would have...and you could have gotten a dessert out of it to boot!! ;)

BTW - for anyone interested. The nice scenery was on 63 North out of Pecos, NM. This is on the other side of the mountain from Santa Fe, NM. It is a road that dead ends at the top of the mountain after about 30 miles. Fortunately for me there were a few areas that were recently washed out and in disrepair.

Adventure initiation

Mother Nature wanted to give you a proper "adventure" initiation. I have to admit to a chuckle when I saw the shot underneath the overpass. :shine:

Now maybe you are starting to understand what I like about the dual sport world, and BIG dual-sports. As much as I loved the FZ, and if money was no object, I would still have it, I just love the Adventure Bikes.

Maybe when I do my Baja trip you can join me as I pass through your "neck of the woods". I have to get much better at Spanish first (my winter project).

Mother Nature wanted to give you a proper "adventure" initiation. I have to admit to a chuckle when I saw the shot underneath the overpass. :shine:

Now maybe you are starting to understand what I like about the dual sport world, and BIG dual-sports. As much as I loved the FZ, and if money was no object, I would still have it, I just love the Adventure Bikes.

Maybe when I do my Baja trip you can join me as I pass through your "neck of the woods". I have to get much better at Spanish first (my winter project).

Well I at least learned the bike is very, very capable. I just need better gear. I would love to see you when down this way.

Brad, that is awesome! What a cool trip even if you were in a hurry. Glad to know it was uneventful for you and the bike. Thank you for sharing.... I'm green with envy!

Back