Blanchy and Ballmead's ride 18/04/2014

Blanchy and myself went for a ride today.

We swapped bikes so we could see the difference's in our mods.

Blanchy's full Yoshi R77 system was really smooth and his new Ohlins rear shock was nice and plush on the rough stuff.

I have a full Arrow system and a Penske 8983 rear shock and the differences were night and day.

The full Yoshi system has heaps of power from 4.5K and up and felt a lot smoother than my full Arrow system.

The power comes on a lot sooner than my Arrow. From 4500+ rpm the Yoshi really powers and lofts the front wheel much earlier than my Arrow.

Blanchy's Ohlins rear shock was probably set a bit too soft for my liking but it was nice and smooth through the rough stuff.

Here are a few pics from the day, it was awesome to try someone else's FZ1 and the weather today was just about perfect for a ride.

25 degrees Celsius and barely a cloud in sight, gotta love Australia in Autumn.

Last edited:
My take on the ride

Went for a ride with Ballmead, glorious day not too hot, not too cool blue sky day. Goldilocks would have loved it. Did a swap to see what the difference was between our setups. Exhaust, John's, Full Arrows, mine full Yoshi. Suspension, His R1 front end Penski Rear. Mine FZ1 front, Ohlins rear. Conclusion, Happy I went Yoshi, defianatly has better low/mid power. Front suspension, the R1 setup feels firm but better damped and the brakes are very good. Rear not a huge difference to me but the ohlins has the ability to adjust the preload on the fly. I missed my Gear indicator, John has one but in a different spot, have to agree that mine felt smoother too, as John said though your own bike is like a comfy lounge, great to get back to. One thing that surprised me was how comfy John's seat was. I might have to go one of them just can't remember the name! A couple of pics

At the Hawksbury River

007-11.jpg

Ballmead (John) and the bikes at Mangrove Dam

002-26.jpg

The Dam/Lake

001-31.jpg

Last edited:
I have an Eddie's (Dirt Road) seat.

Not only does it look awesome, it does an excellent job of cushioning your arse.

I didn't mind the comfort of your Top Selleries seat, but I couldn't move around in it at all.

The back rest stops you from moving around and I like to position myself back and I'm all over the seat at times.

Awesome that you guys had a nice ride. I may have seen the first "dual entry" pic for the M.B.O.M. Contest in those pics! Don't think we've ever had two members win together from one photo?? I think you still have time to enter guys!

Message from a 'Newbie' - Just joined today having bought an '09 FZ1S

Hi Guys,

Have just joined the forum today as sold my previous TDM900 and bought & paid for an '09 FZ1S today...i live in Baulkham Hills and ride Sundays esp. north to Kullnura / Lower Hunter area esp love the Yarramalong Valley. hope we may meet up in future.

Cheers / Alister

Blanchy and myself went for a ride today.

We swapped bikes so we could see the difference's in our mods.

Blanchy's full Yoshi R77 system was really smooth and his new Ohlins rear shock was nice and plush on the rough stuff.

I have a full Arrow system and a Penske 8983 rear shock and the differences were night and day.

The full Yoshi system has heaps of power from 4.5K and up and felt a lot smoother than my full Arrow system.

The power comes on a lot sooner than my Arrow. From 4500+ rpm the Yoshi really powers and lofts the front wheel much earlier than my Arrow.

Blanchy's Ohlins rear shock was probably set a bit too soft for my liking but it was nice and smooth through the rough stuff.

Here are a few pics from the day, it was awesome to try someone else's FZ1 and the weather today was just about perfect for a ride.

25 degrees Celsius and barely a cloud in sight, gotta love Australia in Autumn.

Gday mate or as I often say Howdy. Might need for the weather to warm up a bit. Snow is not my thing on bikes! Dustin will chime in and call me a pussy but it's just a bit cool at the moment.

Back