Boots - heels or no heels

ghetto_d

I'm looking to get another pair of boots, to be used on the street. These shall be shorter boots; more relaxed. I have a full fledged pair of dainese, but those are reserved for track use. To be honest, this would be my first pair of boots to use on the street /daily. I am leaning towards the smx2, but am curious as to why most of the more casual boots have no heels. Anyone know? What is your preference? Do you feel there is any utility in having a heel for this application ?
I'm posting this via phone, so forgive any errors!

What? about the need or not for heels? I don't see the need at all. If I'm on the street I wouldn't be walking that far if I make stops. Also, I never ride with the heel of my foot on the pegs, mainly the ball of my foot, so I'd say really no reason to have them which is why most don't, casual or otherwise.

Personal preference only. For bike use most boots have a very slight heel to allow more flexibility on foot placement while using the foot controls. A more defined heel is nice for walking around, but how much do you walk around when you are out and about and off the bike? Probably very little. There is no right or wrong answer here.

Not a fan of boots with heels (unless you're MrsFZ1inNH anyway)

I like to move my feet around the pegs and heels hinder me from that. I don't have big feet and the heel is a pain to try and reach the shifter.

My first instructor at a Putnam track day told me the heel was catch your outside boot while cornering. Not sure how much validity that really has but I did tend to have a problem with my foot sliding off the peg without heels. So now all my boots have a small heel.

JohnnyontherRocks is a proper racer maybe he might have some insight on the heal thing.

Last edited:
I have daytona (touring) boots they have a very slight heel (0.5 inch) and they are great I hiked in the boots up to 5 miles on tours (well you want to see the delicate arch in Arches NP) and they are super comfortable. They are also excellent safety wise and absolutely watertight but breathable. They are expensive but total worth it have the 2nd pare the first had > 80k miles on them and lasted 10 years. I used them on the track and they never caught in a corner so I have my football on the peg on the track and only sometimes grind the side of them.

I would never wear low shows on a bike, the ankle and also the shin are very vulnerable in a crash.

Back