Boots

Vagabond

I am looking at buying new boots for this years riding season. I don't do track days but I want a boot with good protection and I also have to be able to walk around for 4 hours each day without crippling myself.

Does anyone have suggestions ? What boots do you wear ?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

I have a set of Astar gortex sort touring boots that are really comfortable but really hot in the summer. I find my Astar SMX5's to be a nice all around boot. Comfy, crash worthy and affordable.

I just received a pair of A* Ridge boots for Christmas. I haven't had a chance to ride in them yet, but I found them in a store and they fit, so I bought them. I had been on a 2 year quest to find a good pair of boots. I wanted a race type boot from Sidi, but I bought a used set in my size and I couldn't even get my heal into the bottom of the boot! They were plenty long, but extremely narrow.

This set I have isn't exactally what I was looking for, but they fit, and were comfortable, so they came home with me and waited under the tree for Christmas. I think I will like them. They appear to be the same boot as Dustin mentioned, but a bit shorter. I really wanted the taller boot, but I was desperate and that's all they had for me to try on.

RIDGE_WATERPROOF_BOOT_detail.jpg

They are water proof and a sport touring boot. I was looking for a vented boot because I usually ride in warm weather and I've just been wearing cloth, mesh tennis shoes the last 2 years :squid: and my hands would stop me from riding in the cold LONG before my feet would get cold.

I'm still looking for another boot, but I really think I'll like these too. Let us know what you get.

I have some Alpinstare GorTex lined touring boots and they are comfortable although they do get warm in the summer. I can wear these all day and be comfortable as long as I don't need to constantly walk. I bring shoes for those instances. Hard lugage makes it easy to bring extra stuff.

Vagibond,

All I can say is stay away from Icon Field armour. All though they are comfortable they are very thick and hard to shift with.
Just my 2cents. And Yes I had a pair I bring experience wiht this boot.

I have a pair of Sidi Way boots. They are a sport-touring waterproof boot that are very comfortable. They broke in right away and I can spend the day in them w/o any issues. I just wouldn't recommend them if you have a wide foot as they are narrow and run about a size too small.

attachment.php

I agree with Johnny on the SMX5, except for one thing that is critical to me. They were too wide at the calf and would not fit under my pants. They were nuch wider than the Alpinestars S-MX 4s that I was getting rid of. That won't matter to some, but if it does, you should make sure before purchase. Good vendors will be able to answer that question.

Daytona GTX. Nothing else, full GorTeX, waterproof but not hot due to breath ability. Very good protection (tested them) and ultra long live. I can wear them all day and even hike in them.
They are pricy but my last pair lasted 13 years! They have different options like wide foot, narrow ect so you always will find one which fits you. There are only few dealers in the US.

Everybody seems to be in a rut in recommending the same old full length race boots. They are fine when on the bike but are a PITA walking around. Do you really need/want to be walking around in a full boot? Check out the 3/4 boots that are coming on the scene. You can get a 3/4 Sidi boot (Apex) that is the same as the Vertigo except it is cut down. It gives you probably 95% of the protection on the street and is far more comfortable walking around. Apex - Sidi Sport Boots

I use the Joe Rocket Super Street Boot which is a lower cut boot than the standard race boot yet far more comfortable off the bike. JoeRocket.com

Look around, there are lots of options.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

The whole process is made more difficult for me as I teach the MSF motorcycle course and spend a lot of my time walking around the range. I cant change into shoes as I have to ride the demo's but the 100mile round trip to work is what makes my day.

I haven't ever had a pair of motorcycle boots but if I get a bike again, I will get a pair, this thread prompted me to look at why you should wear them, thanks.

Dianese Kisoro

Here is my review that I uploaded @ revzilla. My views have not changed 6 months later. I commute as much as possible so I have worn them in 85 degree weather down to 9 degree weather. Rain, (light) snow, sunshine Great all around boot. They are comfortable to walk around in if you are comfortable in work boots, or hiking boots. My favorite footwear are Nike Frees, but I find these acceptable for all day wear.

Anyway, here's the review:

Here are my impression based on a few weeks of wear (commuting and general riding).
If you're looking for the MOST ankle and shin protection available - look elsewhere (look at a race boot / MX boot). These boots have a fair amount of protection for a commuter boot. I know Dainese markets these as a DP boot - but personally, I'd be looking for a much different boot for that style of riding.

Here was my criteria for a commuting / general purpose riding boot:
-Suitable protection
-Waterproof
-Comfortable on and off the motorcycle
-Reasonalbly stylish for office wear
These exactly met my criteria. A bit pricy, but I'm accustomed to paying for quality footwear. These boots ooze quality. They look much better in person. They feel exceptionaly sturdy, even though they do not have hard shin protection. I feel that the foot and ankle is very well protected. The soles are great, and stick to everything, even in the rain - no slipping at stop signs.

The stiff sole is great for riding long distance (feet won't get tired from bending over the pegs). Can you walk around all day in them? That's personal preference - I personally would prefer to walk around all day in a pair of Nike Free's, but I am also accustomed to walking around / working in sturdy / stiff work boots.

The fit is great for my "wide D" / "Narrow E" foot (Dainese has a rep for running narrow, but I found these pretty average width). I typically wear a 12 or 12.5 US, the 46 is a perfect fit for me. They fit snug without being too tight.

These boots are waterproof! I spent 16 hrs riding in the rain this past weekend (storms + steady rain), and the only thing dry at the end of each day were my feet (I have "waterproof" jacket and pants that eventually succumbed to the weather).

I find that my base layer (dress pants when commuting) will stay tucked in even though this is a mid cut boot. I typically wear my riding pants over my boots, and these boots are high enough to keep your shin from being exposed. If you like to wear your pants as "floods" then you might have a different experience however...

Also of note, if you plan on wearing these around the office - please be aware that they do make a little noise from the outer flap rubbing across the inner flap. I'm just mentioning this in case you were to plan on wearing these in a QUITE professional office. It doesn't really bother me, and I often bring my dress shoes to wear during the work day. Just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Overall I think that the kisoro is a great boot - you certainly are paying a little more for the Dainese name. However, I still think that these boots are worth the coin, and I do recommend them if you have similar needs to mine listed above.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-kisoro-d-wp-boot

If you want to go with a boot that's comfortable to wear on and off the bike I'd suggest these.
2010-Thor-Motocross-50-50-Boots.jpg

I've had a pair of these for years and they are very comfortable.

For a comfortable riding boot that you can walk all day with. I use Senco full insoles to replace the ones in the boot and walking with them becomes very comfortable. this boot is for hot weather & not for rain, here in Los Angeles it works very well. I think the key to comfort in any shoes is a good insole, the insole alone is $19.00 but worth every penny.

SIDI SDS New York Riding Shoes - RevZilla

I finally got myself some Alpinestars SMX-5 boots. They were a very good price at $119 from Team Motorsports De Pere, Green Bay, WI, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Polaris, ATV, UTV, Motorcycle TEAM Motorsports, LLC De Pere, WI 920-983-TEAM (8326). I also bought a leather Yamaha Guru Jacket for $160.
They also have an e-bay shop.
Their service is excellent and one of the guys even tried on a jacket for me as he was my size and recommended the next size up, than the one I was going to order.

How did you get that price on the jacket, shows $334.98 on the site?

Back