Brake Bleeding Made Easy

:) I just wanted to point out the 5 wheel roller stool was awesome.

Yes, I realized the value of the roller garage stool after burning and dragging my ass and knees for 3 years, making working on the bike a physical chore. I always used to be very sore after a mod job. Now it is such a breeze. Reminding of breeze I also bought a Windtunnel fan from Walmart that eliminated a lot drenched shirts from the heat in the garage and the running bike.

Last edited:
Yes, I realized the value of the roller garage stool after burning and dragging my ass and knees for 3 years making working on the bike a physical chore. I always used to be very sore after a mod job. Now it is such a breeze. Reminding of breeze I also bought a Windtunnel fan from Walmart that eliminated a lot drenched shirts from the heat in the garage and the running bike.

I can sympathize with that. My garage is only 8-1/2' x 15-1/2'. Not to mention my 48 year old knees that I abused doing stupid kid stuff growing up. I'm definitely paying for it now. If I ever come back in another life I'm going to forget sports and join the chess club at school!

I can sympathize with that. My garage is only 8-1/2' x 15-1/2'. Not to mention my 48 year old knees that I abused doing stupid kid stuff growing up. I'm definitely paying for it now. If I ever come back in another life I'm going to forget sports and join the chess club at school!

My buddy Kevin is in --- I'm sending the Paypal money as soon as I get the OK from Eric. Woo Hoo I guess Kevin and I will take the room Eric was going to take --- is that correct?

Edit: Ooops, I should have put this in the other thread.

I have a bleeding question. The last time I bled the front brakes I didn't use the vacuum tool. I remember that I had taped the brake lever in the compressed position. I'm thinking that I should have done that even with the tool. I took the bike out for the first time today to work and the brakes felt spongy. I bled them with the brake lever "off" and I'm thinking that when I was done bleeding, that initial pull on the lever still has a pocket of air in it. I'm gonna redo it tomorrow when I get home from work tomorrow. What do you guys think?

I have a bleeding question. The last time I bled the front brakes I didn't use the vacuum tool. I remember that I had taped the brake lever in the compressed position. I'm thinking that I should have done that even with the tool. I took the bike out for the first time today to work and the brakes felt spongy. I bled them with the brake lever "off" and I'm thinking that when I was done bleeding, that initial pull on the lever still has a pocket of air in it. I'm gonna redo it tomorrow when I get home from work tomorrow. What do you guys think?

If when you replaced the calipers you let the reservoir go dry there is a good possibility that you have some air trapped at the top banjo bolt on the master cylinder. You may want to bleed the master cylinder by loosening the banjo bolt and see it the brakes feel better.

If when you replaced the calipers you let the reservoir go dry there is a good possibility that you have some air trapped at the top banjo bolt on the master cylinder. You may want to bleed the master cylinder by loosening the banjo bolt and see it the brakes feel better.

Sounds good, I'll try that tomorrow. There has to be a small pocket somewhere because the brakes were harder with the bad calipers on. I gotta say that these calipers are sweet. No more clacking noise from the front of the bike.

When I changed my lines, and did the front, I let the reservoir go dry at one point (not paying enough attention to that end) and had to keep going (do over). used a bit more fluid thatway but eventually had no more bubbles. I used a big zip tie on the lever overnight (to keep it compressed) and the brakes were solid as a rock the next morning.

Thanks Lee, gonna do that as soon as I get home from work today. I remember keeping the lever fully in the last time I bled them but it slipped my mind this time.

I'm confused with that statement --- while you are bleeding, I don't think you want the lever in. That is what some do afterwards to leave pressure on the system overnight.

Personally, I've never used the bleeder tools and still do it the old way. I use the lever as my pump and pump while keeping the master cylinder full and have a tube flowing from the caliper into a coffee can. This method takes more fluid to do but you don't have to throw it away when you are done. You make sure the tube stays under the level of the fluid in the can --- this way pumping the lever moves the bubbles down and out.

LOL
I thought that was you when I saw that video. I had only seen you in a few pics. Anyway - thanks for the video. I bought the MightyVac Brake Bleeder from HF and I hope to service mine this week. The video will be a huge help.

Speedbleeders. Quicker and simpler than vacuum pumps. I still have my MightyVac but I don't use it for brake bleeding anymore.

They really that much faster? I can do it in 30 min or less when changing the fluid with clear plastic tubing, wrench, and plastic water bottle......

I see the merits of a speed bleeder on a car but it's so easy on bike already! I use a plastic tube with a one way valve and that's it, really

The best set-up I had used an old vacuum pump I found and repaired. I used quick connect fittings and a mayonaise jar for the reservior. It worked awesome until I loaned it to a friend and he sucked brake fluid into the pump killing it.

Back