Brake Bleeding Made Easy

I got down to the garage today to install my 07' Front Calipers on the FZ1. My 01' caliper on the right side had some bad seals and needs to be rebuilt. I have the kit and will probably rebuild them to sell. I couldn't pass up this deal that Tony found me on the GenII Calipers. So it was "out with the old and in with the new".

Old Caliper
IMG_0112-1.jpg

New Caliper
IMG_0113-1.jpg

I swapped out the pads that came with the calipers and installed my EBC's instead. I was also able to finally use my Harbor Freight Brake Bleeding Tool for the first time. It really is a breeze to use and very effective. I decided to make a short video on how to use it. It's not the best video but it does it's job.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_LU0o8qSU]YouTube - FZ1 Brake Bleeding With Harbor Freight Bleeding Tool[/ame]

Same one here

I have a hand pump exactly like that. I bought mine at Princess Auto in Calgary. I found it worked well but could use a bit larger resevoir.

Shop vac! :D Kidding!

That's a tool I should look to buy. It would have been handy when I worked on my daughter's car! Thanks Billy!!

Do the ebc's have a habit of dustin the caliper like that, or are youngest just neglecting your fz when it come to cleaning?

I forget the model of bleeder i have, but nowhere the quality of what you were using. All plastic and easy to break,

Thanks for sharing.

Do the ebc's have a habit of dustin the caliper like that, or are youngest just neglecting your fz when it come to cleaning?

I forget the model of bleeder i have, but nowhere the quality of what you were using. All plastic and easy to break,

Thanks for sharing.

If your speaking of the "black" dirt, yes thats dirt. I haven't cleaned them in a while.:spank2: If you mean that "dusty white" looking stuff, that was the residue from the blue thread locker that was on the caliper bolts when I removed them. I do, however, need to really wash the bike. The problem is no access to water at my house. Thats what happens when you rent.

Trust me when I say that while you see what looks like an expensive tool, it's quite the opposite. The harbor freight stuff is "low end" to middle of the road. I think I paid only 10 or 12 bucks for this kit with a store coupon. There are more expensive kits on the market that are probably better quality. I'm pretty easy on my tools so this should at least last for a few bleedings.

Can you link the item on Harbor Freight's site? Would be nice if the hose that attaches to the bleeder were clear but that would probably be easy to mod.

This the same one?
Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump Kit
image_2503.jpg

Yep, thats the one, and I too said the same thing to Richie today. The intake hose should be clear. I guess that clear hose costs more than black or red hoses?:confused: I'm definitely going to get the same diameter hose in clear to make things easier next time. Here's the link to the site page. It's on sale for 20 bucks right now.
Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump Kit

I have the Mity-VAC brand tool... it comes with all clear hoses... and a ton of different fittings and attachments... I actually got it locally at a mom & pop autoparts store for ~$40.. all aluminum construction.. and it provides negative or positive pressure at the flick of a switch...

I have the Mity-VAC brand tool... it comes with all clear hoses... and a ton of different fittings and attachments... I actually got it locally at a mom & pop autoparts store for ~$40.. all aluminum construction.. and it provides negative or positive pressure at the flick of a switch...

Thats the one! I couldn't think of the name. Mity-vac. Thanks Aaron. Yes that definitely has all the bells and whistles. I also like the idea of positive pressure to push the air out through the master cylinder. I believe you get the best results that way since air naturally wants to rise.

Great post Billy! I use a Mity-vac as well works fabulous and as you mentioned, it enables you to work alone. After I am through I wrap blue painters tape around the brake lever compressing it against the grip overnight. This will allow any air bubbles that were left behind to work there way to the top into the M/C leaving a very firm handle.

On a slightly different note, Billy, I had the same stool you are sitting on and I can't count the number of times I would fall over backwards. But, I was too cheap to replace it for years. Finally, I went to Harbor Freight and bought the 5 wheel stool for like $25. IT IS AWESOME. I can push with my feet and fly backwards or forwards around the garage. I kicked myself in the butt that I hadn't changed the damn thing earlier.

After I am through I wrap blue painters tape around the brake lever compressing it against the grip overnight. This will allow any air bubbles that were left behind to work there way to the top into the M/C leaving a very firm handle.

What a great tip Joe. I'd never heard of doing that before. Thanks! :Rockon:

Checking the website links it is 2 star rated and many say it needs work to keep it working. Mityvac at $30-40 is a better and long trusted tool.

Great video btw. Next time add some speedbleeders to ease the job.

Last edited:
Checking the website links it is 2 star rated and many say it needs work to keep it working. Mityvar at $30-40 is a better and long trusted tool.

Great video btw. Next time add some speedbleeders to ease the job.

I see, your absolutely right about the comparison of the two. I got mine because I had a coupon for $9.99 and couldn't pass it up. As for how good the H.F. bleeder works, it does the job just fine. Even with all the pumping, I was done front and rear in less than 20-30 minutes. I definitely must get some speed bleeders though.

On a slightly different note, Billy, I had the same stool you are sitting on and I can't count the number of times I would fall over backwards. But, I was too cheap to replace it for years. Finally, I went to Harbor Freight and bought the 5 wheel stool for like $25. IT IS AWESOME. I can push with my feet and fly backwards or forwards around the garage. I kicked myself in the butt that I hadn't changed the damn thing earlier.

I was thinking I may glue the base to a piece of wood to make it slightly more stable.

Back