Brake Pads

spyd3rm4n

What type of brake pads came on the Gen I FZ1s? I have a new-to-me 2004 and had the brakes apart to clean and noticed they're sintered pads with copper colored backing plates.

I cleaned them with a plastic brush and soap and water, then gave them a quick zip on a wire wheel to clean them up, not hitting the friction surface but definitely touched the edges a little. I also cleaned the rotors on the wire wheel, then finished with a scotch brite and brake cleaner, and giving a final wipe with brake cleaner and a microfiber towel.

Now that everything is reassembled, I smell burning brake pad material after I stop. I haven't really done any aggressive bedding and didn't even get beyond city speeds, though I thought this would go away. After three days and about 50 miles it's still there. I don't have any dragging pads, front and rear wheels spin freely with no abnormal resistance. The smell isn't the brakes! Updated below. Something on the header.

On a side note, the dust seals on two pistons of one of my front calipers look like they got dislodged and they're 'squeezed' out in a few places. I want to rebuild these calipers but looks like the aftermarket rebuild kits (All Balls brand) are out of stock.

Last edited:
I've used Brake Crafters for caliper and M/C rebuild kits for a couple decades now. Good parts and never any issues.
Not sure where you searched for the AB kit, but Amazon and several other sellers show plenty in stock.

Sumitomo HG sintered pads were stock.
Then these are most definitely the original pads. Are they any good? Think they're still OK to use after sitting 20 years?

I want to rebuilt that one caliper with the dust seals squeezing out. All the other pistons are fine, just the two on one side of one caliper are affected.
Good one:

Bad one :

No shelf/service life on pads.

OEM is only thing I've ever used. The only thing that hurts them is fork oil leaks and wearing out.

Braking is over rated.

I personally hate touchy brakes. I want them to kick in progressively when applying pressure, not instantly at the first part of application in a panic situation. That may be more to bleeding than pad material, but my preference is still the same.

If Gen 1s had ABS my opinion might change.

Braking is over rated.

I personally hate touchy brakes. I want them to kick in progressively when applying pressure, not instantly at the first part of application in a panic situation. That may be more to bleeding than pad material, but my preference is still the same.

Eh I sort of agree. I try not to overthink things, ride more worry less, but I do need the brakes to work. I had an 87 XT350 that I was restoring and despite cleaning the calipers thoroughly (no obvious corrosion on the pistons) it still didn't retract. Everything seemed fine but eventually it started dragging and heating up quickly, and when I pulled over and slowed down it locked up and put me down.

I did notice one of my front rotors is significantly cooler than the other front rotor or even the rear after braking, ironically that's the side that wasn't coated in fork oil. I may have just touched the rotor with a greasy hand after reinstalling the front wheel.

Calipers are plentiful and cheap on eBay. You can find little used calipers that would probably work fine without a lot of cleanup. I have an extra blue spot caliper lying around my house somewhere. Only one, and I'm not sure which side it is, because I'm pretty sure my wife threw the other one away. She won't admit to having done it, though.
I have used the OEM pads and they aren't bad, but the EBC EPFA pads are much better for me. They need a little heat (but not a lot) in them to work their best, but the power and feel are noticeably better than OEM or even the regular EBC HH pads for blitzing curvy roads. They are a bit pricy.

Just checked and the caliper I have is a right side caliper.

Calipers are plentiful and cheap on eBay. You can find little used calipers that would probably work fine without a lot of cleanup. I have an extra blue spot caliper lying around my house somewhere. Only one, and I'm not sure which side it is, because I'm pretty sure my wife threw the other one away. She won't admit to having done it, though.
I have used the OEM pads and they aren't bad, but the EBC EPFA pads are much better for me. They need a little heat (but not a lot) in them to work their best, but the power and feel are noticeably better than OEM or even the regular EBC HH pads for blitzing curvy roads. They are a bit pricy.

Just checked and the caliper I have is a right side caliper.

These calipers don't need a lot of cleanup, I already got them clean. Pistons are in good shape too, but the two dust seals are squeezing out as seen in the photos above. Another well known member here offered me a set of rebuild calipers with fresh seals for about the same price as a caliper rebuild kit, so I'll take them!

This will be a good time to switch to the dual braided brake lines. Somebody said the generic 'Venhill' brand is good, but the Galfer set is only $10 more.

I found the source of the burning smell, it isn't the brake pads. Who knew red Loctite smells just like burning brakes! When I did the AIS blockoff, I spilled a big glob of Loctite on one header and it's been smoldering since I've been running the bike more. I've been smelling it every time I stop thinking it was the brakes.

Back