Broken bracket

Doc Samson

Got into a shoving match with a small SUV the other day (not really, she was hanging in the passing lane and I went to pass her in the slow lane, only to have her decide to move over as I was right beside her) and ended up with this:

1664451015506.png

New parts are on the way but wondering about the rubber inserts, i.e. which way should they press out? I tried pushing from the inside out but ended up with two torn inserts with the metal rim stuck. Doesn't matter too much as the new parts will hopefully be self evident re: assembly but just curious...

You'd need to press the outer steel, not the inner. Tough because it's so slim. I recommend putting the verniers on it and I'd probably use a socket 0.25mm smaller than the hole.

Doese the new part come with them already installed?

Of course not! And the piece doesn't sit flush against anything so it's the perfect recipe for me destroying it by trying!

Was able to talk to my local mechanic who said he'd help me out since it's a small job, so got lucky there!

Of course not! And the piece doesn't sit flush against anything so it's the perfect recipe for me destroying it by trying!

Was able to talk to my local mechanic who said he'd help me out since it's a small job, so got lucky there!
If you have a vise or something to hold the part use a socket slightly smaller diameter that will fit through the hole on the part but sits on the metal that holds the rubber of the bushing and hit it through with a hammer. After they come out do the reverse to put them back in the new part.

If you have a vise or something to hold the part use a socket slightly smaller diameter that will fit through the hole on the part but sits on the metal that holds the rubber of the bushing and hit it through with a hammer. After they come out do the reverse to put them back in the new part.
If you have a vice, I'd recommend using the vice as a press rather than using a hammer.

I started to use the vice method but holding everything in place, while trying to close the vice, felt like a recipe for totally messing it up. I practiced that technique on the old part to see how difficult it would be and found that the smaller socket kept wanting to slide just enough to cause uneven force. Couldn't find a socket that was snug enough without being too snug.

Got lucky and my local mechanic said he'd squeeze the job in (pun intended! :rolleyes::D ) since it wouldn't take him but a few minutes...

Appreciate the suggestions though!

Back