Butler Motorcycle maps

I am in the preliminary stages of planning next years first big bike trip. I had heard of Motorcycle specific maps from a company in the US called Butler; Butler Maps | Motorcycle Maps, Roads, Routes | The Best Road Maps - Butler Maps

I ordered both the Idaho and Utah maps after a little research and they shipped faster than any supplier I have ever used.

The maps are excellent. They are made of a very flexible plastic, not laminated paper. Totally waterproof should the rain come down while using them or your tank bag spring a leak.You can use dry erase or grease pencil without fear on these.

They highlight all the best sections of road, and have close ups and descriptions of each. They are big, as the entire state is shown on one side and the close ups, elevation change graphs, etc are on the other.

They are not really set up for a tank bag but could be folded to fit. They even give GPS co-ordinates for the start and end of the best roads.

The maps cost $14.95 a piece but I think they are well worth the money.

I now have a tool to use alongside the Garmin Basecamp program to plot out the trip to Moab at the end of May.

GPS is great but a proper map is always nice as a backup, after all they can never have a technical problem (like a fried circuit board).

oldschool-albums-backroad-playthings-picture2367-butler.jpg

Last edited:
You'll like Moab, it's way different from what you're used to.
It's funny, when I clicked on the map link you provided, the 5th picture it scrolled thru is right down the road from me. It's called Skyline Drive outside of Canon City, CO. It's like a mini version of Escalante, UT (highway 12). There's a section called Hogback that has sheer drop offs on both sides....scary as H*!1
Let me know if you get close to Colorado...I'll buy the coffee!

http://www.utah.com/byways/highway_12.htm

Last edited:
Utah

A lot of the route will be back country and gravel in the northeast corner of the State. See this map the top 3 sections.UTBDR - Utah Backcountry Discovery Route The rest will be a mix of Pavement and gravel. Shafer Trail, Whiterim Trail, Slickrock trail in Arches, and a few others. Deadhorse point in Canyon Lands Park, etc.

I will try that diner for sure, thanks! I wish that I could get there in April as I think the end of May and begining of June will be smokin hot during the day. I am bringing a pressure suit so I can ride a bit cooler as well as my Camelback and am installing a second cooling fan on the bike (990). Camping should be comfortable with the nigh time lows at a nice temp. I will be going back up through Yellowstone on the way north. I should be playing around Moab area for a few days and will post on this site when I am in the area.

Lytehouse, I would love to do Cinnamon pass in Colorado but doubt that I will have enough time to make that detour, but one of these days.

Thanks for the info on the maps Lee. I have just started to plan our annual July 1 ride for this year. Vegas is the final destination but want to ride the west coast back. Thoes maps would fit my needs also.

Back