Cam Position Sensor and code 12

Hey Folks, have a 2006 with 25,000 miles on it. It was running beautifully until one day leaving a stop sign and turning left it died quickly. I pushed it home and read the diagnostic menu which said I had a code 12 - cam position sensor. I replaced the sensor and it still doesn't crank. The battery and starter are strong. I looked at the codes and code 12 is still showing on line 61 and one fault is showing on line 62. I turned the kill switch to on and off again but the code won't reset. I have watched hours of youtube videos and nobody seems to have the same problem resetting fault codes. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• 20201123_203911.jpg
    20201123_203911.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20201123_204450.jpg
    20201123_204450.jpg
    978.2 KB · Views: 10
Working on an '07, having a similar issue clearing the codes... one of the stickies here says to leave the switch on for 5 seconds to clear the codes but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

If it works do let me know.

This bike also was running fine and now will not run for more than a second, it also had a camshaft position sensor error ... but testing it with a multimeter (OHMS) shows it is good?

I tried putting the kill switch to on for 5 seconds, I tried it for 20 seconds, I tried it with my tongue on the left side of my mouth, the fault is still there. I don't know how to test that sensor with a multimeter since there is no exposed wire on one end. How did you test yours? (I am an idiot with a multimeter)

I tried putting the kill switch to on for 5 seconds, I tried it for 20 seconds, I tried it with my tongue on the left side of my mouth, the fault is still there. I don't know how to test that sensor with a multimeter since there is no exposed wire on one end. How did you test yours? (I am an idiot with a multimeter)

Crankshaft sensor is on the right side of the bike, (see first image) no need to take the cover off. Follow the leads up under the seat... disconnect. Set your meter to ohms (looks like a horseshoe). There are only 2 wires, put meter lead on each pin inside the connector (test the side that goes to the sensor) and check reading.

Specs: Crankshaft position sensor resistance 336–504 Ω at 20°C (68°F)

1606316795221.png
1606316282413.png

So my friend, I think you have helped me solve this problem. That is because I didn't know the difference between a camshaft position sensor and a crankshaft position sensor. I did exactly as you said and I got no reading from the multimeter on the sensor end of the connector. I do get a reading when I test the other end of the connector. Thanks for your help.

Glad I was able to help, if you replace the sensor let me know how it goes.... curious to see if that resolves or how that effects the codes not being able to be cleared.

I'm at a standstill with my issue, going to begin testing relays and looking for bad connections, shorts in wiring.

That sounds tedious. Good luck amigo. I can't find the part number for that crank position sensor anywhere. Do you have any idea where I can find it?

Tedious indeed...

I don't have a good source for parts yet, but google came up with several vendors. Make sure to talk to a human being and verify the part is correct before you buy it. (Or call a yamaha dealer and ask for the part number and price, then see if you can find a better price online.)

Back