can't get into 3rd gear but came in in highters rpms

since I changed my progrip gel hand... Ive take the bike to ride a few kms and then now its really hard to make the 3rd gear engage at normal rpm (its get engaged at highter rpm)

that's weird cause my clutch cable is still very stiff and its shift just fine in 1-2 but my lever(foot) get free when I want to shift in 3rd gear.

when I trying to shift the bike (when stoped) on the center stand with my hand its just dont engage the 3rde gear also.

is it juste the clutch cable ajustement or my clutch is out or tranny.

I feel really sad about that :tdown:

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to explain. Can you give a more in depth explanation of what's going on and the circumstances around your problem?

since I changed my progrip gel hand... Ive take the bike to ride a few kms and then now its really hard to make the 3rd gear engage at normal rpm (its get engaged at highter rpm) that's weird cause my clutch cable is still very stiff and its shift just fine in 1-2 but my lever(foot) get free when I want to shift in 3rd gear. when I trying to shift the bike (when stoped) on the center stand with my hand its just dont engage the 3rde gear also. is it juste the clutch cable ajustement or my clutch is out or tranny. I feel really sad about that :tdown:

Are you advancing the wheel, by hand, a bit as you are trying to put the bike into 3rd on the centerstand? There needs to be a bit of forward movement to get the clutch to engage into the next higher gear, (At least that has been my experience on my Gen 1).

If it is happening while you are riding, you may not be releasing the shift from 2nd to 3rd with your foot all the way. So the shift is being limited in its range of motion. Either try to make an effort to return the clutch to its resting position after the shift from 2nd to 3rd, or adjust the throw by either raising/lowering the clutch pedal a bit by the shift arm that attaches to the bike's trany/shift pedal.

Approximately how many mm of play would you say you have in your clutch lever? Gen 1 specifies between 10-15 mm before it fels like it is about to engage.

BroHay

Last edited:
its during driving when im shifting firmely at aprox 4000rpm its goes in but I have to accelerate a bit more to get in . ill check if I can ajust my foot lever its really slack and look to engage in gear with a lot of free space during the time im changing gear

ho well sorry again for my badish english :(

It sounds like you are having an issue with the foot shifter having a limited range of motion that is not allowing the tranny to be engaged properly.

Try adjusting the shift pedal down 5-8 mm, and see if that helps.

BroHay

put the bike on the center stand in 1st gear.

with the engine off, shift up to 2nd.

then try to go for 3rd. watch what the lever does.

Does the lever return to the center position? can you push down on the lever and then back up to get it into 3rd? once in 3rd, does the lever return to center? pushing down and up get it into 4th?

A somewhat common problem on these bikes is for the shifter return spring to come unhooked from it's post, and the shifter will not return to center. You can ride with the bike like this, but it requires pushing down lightly before each upshift, and up slightly before each downshift.

I had a similar problem, and after dis-assembling the bike to get to the spring, I realized it was still firmly in place on the post. Put everything back together, tightened everything up, and the problem returned. Turns out, my front Heim joint on the shifter had locked up. It still rotated freely side to side, but front to back wasn't happening.

Check it out, let us know what you find.

you mean the spring on the top of the tranny case beside the oil cap ? my feeling is like that

when i clicking a bit on the downside without pushing the clutch its look to get in 3rd no problem, like you just explain

mabye yamaha can fix it with ajusting it ? il see what the mecanic will tell tomorrow .!

wrong spring.

the spring I'm talking about is behind the shift shaft cover... not bad to get to... drop the front sprocket cover, and remove the shift arm pull the left side footpeg assembly off, and slide all of that out of the way. under that is the shift shaft cover... you'll see the shift shaft coming out of the center of it... take out the 6-8 Allen screws around the cover, tap the edge of the cover with a rubber mallet, and while pressing on the shift shaft, pull the cover off... in there, towards the front of the bike is the shifter return spring.

oh.

and the reason it'll still work at higher speed is because of vibration.... at higher RPM, the bike vibrates just enough to let the shifter fall back to the neutral position without aid of the spring.

Back