chain and carb questions

is it possible to have a chain without a master link? me and my friend were going to take my rusty chain off and we looked for 10 minutes and couldn't find a master link, is it possible?

also, how do i go about getting my carbs off? i was about to get them off (unbolted the airbox and stuff) but i couldn't detach the throttle and return. there just doesn't seem to be enough room. do i have to drop the motor to make room to get them off?

if you have any insight, it would be appreciated. thank you.

I can't help with the carbs Paul, but the chain doesn't have a master link. It is a riveted chain. With a bike this size, that much torque and HP, you can't/shouldn't ever put a chain on with a master link. Always buy a riveted chain and hammer in the master link yourself. There's some great youtube videos out there showing you how. :D

Also, bookmark and study these sites: http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/ & http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1sitemap.htm This is a ton of great stuff all put together by Gen I owners. You'll learn a lot from their experiences. :D

Last edited:
great, thanks eric. we aren't used to liter bikes. he knows way more than i do and he never really worked on bikes with chains and no master link. so we were pretty confused. the carbs are a bitch to get off. especially with my stubby non- japanese sausage fingers! i might have to bring it to the yamaha shop and shell out some dough to resurrect it, because it's a lot harder than i thought it was going to be and i really wanna ride with all this nice weather!

thanks a lot billy, we tried yesterday and did everything up to pulling it out half way. we didn't think to pull it out, we were too concerned with disconnecting the throttle and return and couldn't do it, but pulling it out half way to get to it escaped us. thanks again

thanks a lot billy, we tried yesterday and did everything up to pulling it out half way. we didn't think to pull it out, we were too concerned with disconnecting the throttle and return and couldn't do it, but pulling it out half way to get to it escaped us. thanks again

Thats exactly what I did. Pull the bank of carbs halfway and then remove the cables. You'll see that it will be a breeze next time you do it. There is all sorts of shortcuts that you'll learn as you do these procedures. I commend you on doing it yourself. Other than a total rebuild of the motor, its great to do it yourself. Just add up all the labor hours and you'll be able to see just how much "dough" your keeping in your pockets!

Thats exactly what I did. Pull the bank of carbs halfway and then remove the cables. You'll see that it will be a breeze next time you do it. There is all sorts of shortcuts that you'll learn as you do these procedures. I commend you on doing it yourself. Other than a total rebuild of the motor, its great to do it yourself. Just add up all the labor hours and you'll be able to see just how much "dough" your keeping in your pockets!

haha i'm learning slowly but surely. life's a journey, thanks again guys

Back