Chain tightened up?

fazernoob66

Set the chain tension before playing around Saturday, and yesterday noticed it was way too tight. Ideas?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Set the chain tension before playing around Saturday, and yesterday noticed it was way too tight. Ideas?

Hi fazernoob66, Re lube, loosen off abit, check for chain stretch in one place and check sprockets , hope there good, test ride and check again? LOL.

were you seated on the bike before you tighten the chain?

proper way to tighten is to have you seated on the bike with your loads on before you tightened the chain.

were you seated on the bike before you tighten the chain?

proper way to tighten is to have you seated on the bike with your loads on before you tightened the chain.

Interesting...............my 2009 owners manual says to set the tension to the spec in the manual when the bike is on the centerstand.........?

I tend to over-analyze things but I wish they were more specific on how to PROPERLY set the chain tension in the manual.

I had a similar issue. Set to proper tension when cold (and on center stand) and it would tighten up when hot.. Really bizarre. Also, noticed a number of links were binding up. Eventually ended up just replacing the chain/sprockets to resolve the issue.

I had a similar issue. Set to proper tension when cold (and on center stand) and it would tighten up when hot.. Really bizarre. Also, noticed a number of links were binding up. Eventually ended up just replacing the chain/sprockets to resolve the issue.

I have been told to set tension after riding so chain is hot, since it will tighten up after riding, but it would be nice to have a definitely correct way/spec to set it and to me the owners manual is pretty vague about it.

The chain should be adjusted when hot, and should be adjusted at the tight spot... Very chain has a tight spot... Also, keep in mind that the acceptable slack on the Gen 1 fz is a bit more than the typical 7/8" called for by many other bikes... I typically adjust mine to 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" .... That seems to yield the highest mileage per chain for me..

Interesting...............my 2009 owners manual says to set the tension to the spec in the manual when the bike is on the centerstand.........?

I tend to over-analyze things but I wish they were more specific on how to PROPERLY set the chain tension in the manual.

i haven't had any similar issues of chain being overly tightened using the method i posted..

be it for my previous ktm2 or current FZ1. chain was just nice after adjustment..

but of course, i did it with an extra pair of hands.. my mech's hand.. :yes::yes:

Thanks all. I usually adjust while I'm waiting to clock out at work, so its cold. I know I'm in need of chain and sprockets, trying to make the stock last though.

The chain should be adjusted when hot, and should be adjusted at the tight spot... Very chain has a tight spot... Also, keep in mind that the acceptable slack on the Gen 1 fz is a bit more than the typical 7/8" called for by many other bikes... I typically adjust mine to 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" .... That seems to yield the highest mileage per chain for me..

okay.......so the question still is when you adjust it to that measurement is the bike on the c-stand, sitting on it's own weight, or with rider sitting on it???

i haven't had any similar issues of chain being overly tightened using the method i posted..

be it for my previous ktm2 or current FZ1. chain was just nice after adjustment..

but of course, i did it with an extra pair of hands.. my mech's hand.. :yes::yes:

okay, you mention the way you adjust it, rider sitting on it, but you dont say what the dimension is that you set the tension to........???

okay.......so the question still is when you adjust it to that measurement is the bike on the c-stand, sitting on it's own weight, or with rider sitting on it???

I adjust with the bike on the rear stand... So only the weight of the bike... .. If your static sag is set correctly, the height of the rear of the bike will change only 30mm from weight of bike to weight of rider+weight of bike.... So, that doesn't affect the tension on the chain in a tremendous amount.

I adjust with the bike on the rear stand... So only the weight of the bike... .. If your static sag is set correctly, the height of the rear of the bike will change only 30mm from weight of bike to weight of rider+weight of bike.... So, that doesn't affect the tension on the chain in a tremendous amount.

by rear stand do you mean centerstand or side/kickstand?

with the bike on the center stand there is zero weight on the rear suspension,..........none of the bikes weight.

My manual states to adjust it while on the center stand.

mine too which is why I'm asking all these questions..........everybody seems to have a different way/spec for adjusting the chain, but I'm just wondering what the really PROPER way is. So far I've been going by the owners manual.

Last edited:
Me to, and I haven't had any issues. But I know that I tend to want it tighter then it should be, so I always measure it and set it at the looser end of the spectrum. Knowing that you'll be putting your weight on it, and it will be tightening as it heats up, just seems practical.

I have always adjusted my chains on any bike I've ever owned by first finding the tight spot by rotating the wheel and then I sit on the bike and see if the adjustment is still good then tighten it up. The way I was tought you should always sit on the bike after you have it adjusted to make sure it doesnt tighten up on you.

Back