chip seal process - Lime Creek Rd

Half of Lime Creek is "chip sealed" now........lots of loose stones making it very slow going.

What is the process here? Does it stay this way or will a chip-sealed road be ultimately paved over? How long does that take? Anyone know this process?

I assume they did the upper half? They'd done the lower half about 2 years ago and it took a year to firm back up.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

they do it in VA now on all secondary roads....

the more traffic, the better the stones get set in... the less the traffic....ugh, that's my road...

I wrote in a complained to VDOT, told them it was unacceptable to leave loose stones like that, right where I turn off of the major highway... a few days later I got a call assuring me they would be back through with the roller trucks to press it down and sweep off any remaining loose stones.... which they did finally.... still a mess and not sure who's brilliant idea this "technology" was... I know it's cheaper for them than a real re-paving. (quote from one source "$6.50 per square yard for chip seal, compared to $36.90 per square yard for asphalt") but it is definitely not safer

nope - it's the lower half, from Volente north to close to where the pavement used to change color. (now that part has been touched). Been at least a month and I just went out there yesterday, I'm not convinced they are in a hurry to finish it....

It had been a little while since I was out there.......the upper north part has had some work done but is in a "finished" state, more or less. No loose stones there. It looks like the road will all match up (color, quality), whenever it is finished.

Also big road work happening on 12 south of Wimberley and on 2325 to the west of Wimberley. (Long waits on one-way lane earlier this summer)

Last edited:
Would that be the same as oil and chips? I moved to PA about six years ago and have never come accross such a surface coating until that year. I found that after a year of road travel and weather the surface smooths out and there is a lot less loose gravel. It is very common for the secondary roads in my county to have this done.

Back