Clock problem

Can anyone suggest what is going wrong with my bike's digital clock??
Just got the bike back from accident repairs. All seemed fine but I have noticed that when i stop and leave the bike the clock stops and freezes at that time (without the aid of a tardis). When i go back to it later the clock reads the same time as when i last used the bike. Just got home from work at 7.15 ..went back an hour later and turned on ignition and the clock still reads 7.15 and time will advance but only while the ignition is on. The odometer / mileometer behaves normally.
Contacted the garage and they did say they did disconnect the display while replacing fairing and said that there was a problem with a 'pilot light' illuminating because of some corroded electrical connector, and said there might be another corroded connection and it wasn't their fault....fair enough I suppose!
Any suggestions..????

I'd try unplugging the dash connection and checking all the contacts. Clean up what you can and then coat the crap out of both sides with dielectric grease and snap it back together and wipe up the excess.

I've heard of them resetting (loose ground somewhere) but never heard of one simply freezing in time. Strange!!

Thanks 2wheel....now it really feels like groundhog day....didn't you use that joke before?? ;)

Where would I get a wiring diagram jayth ...From Yamaha???

The guy in the garage was a bit stuck for ideas but said he'd take another look, while I try the forums...so we'll see cobalt thanks.

Thanks 2wheel....now it really feels like groundhog day....didn't you use that joke before?? ;)

Where would I get a wiring diagram jayth ...From Yamaha???

The guy in the garage was a bit stuck for ideas but said he'd take another look, while I try the forums...so we'll see cobalt thanks.

Ya, yamaha might give you a copy. I looked for awhile online and the only thing I came up with was from this site! Unfortunatley its too small to read....
I didnt even see a gen II clymer manual. Question for all, what does the clock do after a battery disconnect? does it reset to 12:00 when you reconnect or does it freeze like this one? I cant recall.

I just replaced my battery over the weekend, and it froze time for the 10 mins that it was disconnected. I'd say you probably have a problem with a secondary power feed to the cluster. Press and hold the select button with the key off. If its still getting power like it should, the clock will display. If not, check for broken wires around the ignition to the cluster.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ya thats where i was headin there. Two powers or seperate key on/off grounds....either way id give it a good wiggle/tap test while you hold the select button down....at this point ive given up tryin to blow up that diagram :(

Can anyone suggest what is going wrong with my bike's digital clock??
Just got the bike back from accident repairs. All seemed fine but I have noticed that when i stop and leave the bike the clock stops and freezes at that time (without the aid of a tardis). When i go back to it later the clock reads the same time as when i last used the bike. Just got home from work at 7.15 ..went back an hour later and turned on ignition and the clock still reads 7.15 and time will advance but only while the ignition is on. The odometer / mileometer behaves normally.
Contacted the garage and they did say they did disconnect the display while replacing fairing and said that there was a problem with a 'pilot light' illuminating because of some corroded electrical connector, and said there might be another corroded connection and it wasn't their fault....fair enough I suppose!
Any suggestions..????
As it only occurred after an accident repair, I would say it should be fixed under insurance. Assuming that is how you had it repaired.

First, I wonder why they had to disconnect that to do the fairing. I didn't.
2nd, it almost sounds like it isn't getting battery time when it's turned off, did it work after your accident? Before repairs? It's entirely possible it jarred something in the cluster mount. Checking connections can't hurt, bike shops are far from infoulable. But it could be a capacitor or something interior in the cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, I wonder why they had to disconnect that to do the fairing. I didn't.
2nd, it almost sounds like it isn't getting battery time when it's turned off, did it work after your accident? Before repairs? It's entirely possible it jarred something in the cluster mount. Checking connections can't hurt, bike shops are far from infoulable. But it could be a capacitor or something interior in the cluster.

I definitely had to disconnect the instrument to remove the fairing. The wiring on mine goes around the lights and up to the instruments. Had to every time I've had it on and off.

Gen 1 or 2? I didn't pay attention to where this was posted. I've had mine (Gen 2 ) off several times and never had to.

If you remove the just the plastic, then the instruments do not have to be disconnected, but if you unbolt the fairing stay from the frame, it has to be disconnected.

If you remove the just the plastic, then the instruments do not have to be disconnected, but if you unbolt the fairing stay from the frame, it has to be disconnected.
So how do you remove just the plastic? I don't remove the stay but the top center screw on the headlight is impossible to get to on mine, so the headlight come off with the fairing-unplug then required.

Last edited:
Pressed the select button with ignition off as suggested and nada, so I guess you are right about either a broken wire or bad ground connection....will have a proper look at the weekend. Thank you guys.

Back