Clunking Noise

I just got a 2001 FZ1 2 weeks ago, and recently its developed an odd noise thats a little disconcerting to me. I notice it most often when letting the clutch out to engage a gear, and its easiest to hear when the RPM's are around 2-3k. Any higher and the noise either disappears, or the engine is too loud to hear anymore.

Anyway the noise is more than a light clicking, but more of a soft clunking / clanking noise. As best as I can tell it seems to be coming from the left side of the engine, and only appears when the bike is in gear. I could be crazy, but I'm pretty sure I can feel it with my left foot as well. If its in neutral or idling it sounds smooth.

Hears any details that may help:
-2001 FZ1 w/ 16k miles
-Engine oil level appears to be fine
-The chain could use some oil, which I'll get tonight (manual suggests 10w30, any comments on that?)
-The engine smells like its running rich, which I was planning to adjust when I had the time
-I also know the carb boots will need to get replaced, but I was planning on waiting to do that till the riding season is over

Suggestions and comments are definitely appreciated for this FZ1 newbie.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I would have to tell you that I have heard the same clunking or clicking noise on the left side when I had my GenI. Most of the time it means to first check your front sprocket to make sure your teeth are in good shape and the lockdown nut is good and tight. Secondly, it's time to not only oil your chain, but give it a good cleaning with kerosene, wipe it down good with a clean cloth, and then adjust it to proper tension. After that, take it for a 5 or 10 minute ride, bring it back, and then oil it with wd-40 or a quality chain lube. Most of the time doing this will clear up any noises due to chain slack.

So after posting my question, I did go ahead and get some oil and put it on the chain. After another quick ride it seemed to have cleared up 80-90% of the noise. I may see if I can completely clean and re-apply some more oil tomorrow.

Chain tension seems good, but I haven't checked the front sprocket thoroughly yet. Thanks for the suggestions.

I was able to take the front sprocket cover off this afternoon, and it appears to be ok. However I have one more question. There was quite a bit of oil caked on the underside of the cover, which I'm assuming is chain oil from over the years that hasn't been cleaned up. But since I've never owned a chain driven bike I just want to make sure. I've always had belt or shaft driven bikes in the past.

Is anyone else like me when they buy a new bike or vehicle? For the first month or two I'm paranoid about every little tick, clank or oil spot.

Next step is to get some kerosene and give the chain a thorough cleaning and oiling.

I was able to take the front sprocket cover off this afternoon, and it appears to be ok. However I have one more question. There was quite a bit of oil caked on the underside of the cover, which I'm assuming is chain oil from over the years that hasn't been cleaned up. But since I've never owned a chain driven bike I just want to make sure. I've always had belt or shaft driven bikes in the past.

Is anyone else like me when they buy a new bike or vehicle? For the first month or two I'm paranoid about every little tick, clank or oil spot.

Next step is to get some kerosene and give the chain a thorough cleaning and oiling.

Perfectly normal Bobby. This was the inside of my front sprocket cover.

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

This was after some kerosene....

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

I know what you mean about being paranoid about noises and such but just remember that the FZ1 isn't the quietest bike around. As long as everything is clean and all things are in spec I wouldn't worry so much. Clean her up, throw a leg over her and get to riding!

Oiling the chain definitely seems to fix the problem, but I have another quick question regarding that. How often do you find you have to reapply some oil or lubrication to the chain? Its been rainy, and I've been reapplying some 10w30 (which is what the service manual I have recommended) every few days. I'm sure thats normal behavior to have to reapply it more often when the bike gets wet, but should I use something different or better? I had another rider suggest something called chain wax.

Oil is ok I used to use it but you find yourself redoing it after every ride ,plus it tends to fling off every where ,, a good chain wax / lube is a better option especially if its your daily rider ,, you can pick it up in aerosol form from most stores ,,, the best crack is to apply to a warm chain after a ride

Back