Coast to Coast Twistybutt 2014

bewarethefuzz

The annual Coast to Coast Twistybutt is back!

When -
Saturday, May 3rd, 4:50am
Goldenweek 4 day holiday May 3-6

Where
Pacific Ocean to Japan Sea
Start: Hayakawa in Kanagawa

Finish: Funami Beach Niigata

Goal

To ride from the Pacific to the Sea of Japan in a single day via as many great roads as can be strung together without touching a highway or toll road!
Then, settle in for beers, a feast and soak...

Route
No major changes from the last 2 years’ route, just a little trimming and tweaking of the same great route taking us on the back of an almost endless snake of twisting, climbing, carving and winding tarmac!
2 courses:
Long - roughed out in 2011 - 650km
Short - Run and won last summer - 550km

Here's the full 650km route as you'd see it on a Garmin Navi.
12482826753_ce23e9853f_o.jpg

See all those little brown mountain-like things? They are the touges (mountain passes) to traverse on the route, 2 of them being the 2 highest national roads in Japan! And where there are touges, you know there have to be hillclimbs, hairpins and oodles of twisties, right! Yep, that's the twisty part covered.
How about the butt part? Well, at 650km with NO expressway, it isn't exactly a Sunday squirt or a scoot out to your favorite lunch spot. It's far enough to feel it and due to being packed with great roads banking you left and right, it is gonna take a while. So, you're gonna spend your day with eyes tracing tarmac and butt parked, sliding this way and that polishing your seat, tank sides and foot pegs.

This isn't the 1st time we've done it and we've tried to improve the route each year and encourage spirited riders to come along and give it a go. Don't go getting the idea that encouraging means you'll be joining a ‘follow the leader’ train of riders though. This is a tough ride and one to do at your own pace on your own schedule. You'll probably find a rider or two around your pace to roll with but don't count on it. Everyone has different styles, fuel ranges, bladder sizes and concentration spans so you may find yourself rolling with different people or even alone at times. But generally, small groups of similar paced and style riders have coalesced early on past rides.
If you've got a pack of like minded riders already then great, get your train together, study the route, load your navis if you have them and get on with it.
Just don’t take this ride lightly. It is a tough one! A hell of a lot of great riding but tough and dangerous if not respected. Heed the warning.

Ready?
1. You are responsible for yourself, your ride and leaving your whinging and whining at home.
2. Have your bike in long distance ready condition. Plenty(50%+) of tire and a full tank of gas!
3. Have yourself ready to roll. Well slept, fed and healthy.
4. This is not an easy ride! You will be on the road for the best part of daylight and maybe more than 12hours with little time to just cruise and zone out. It is a true feast of twisties that even gluttons have trouble swallowing. Know that!
# START TIME # Sunrise - 4:50am - If you miss the start, don't give up. Catch up in Gotemba.

**WARNING:
Ride considerately, safely and within your limits.
This IS NOT competitive touring or a race.
In no way is any other rider or anyone associated with this ride responsible for any other rider on the ride.
We will likely have a variety of different riders/bikes/attitudes out there. Respect that and keep it real.
For the safety of your fellow riders and yourself, keep a safe distance between all riders and ride in a staggered formation when in a group. Staggered provides better vision, keeps the pack together and the tires in the car tracks reducing the chance of a puncture.
Have a charged phone on hand at all times with your emergency contact and the other riders' contact. Details will be shared closer to the start.
Notify someone on this ride asap if you have any difficulties or leave the ride.
Our route parallels a lot of expressway so if anyone wants to swing off on a separate adventure for a bit, take a nap or get lost then there is flexibility for that. Hell, if you just get a crook neck or the bike develops a reluctance to rock'n'roll then make a beeline for the goal and wait for the rest of the crew to roll in. There is always another day and the support of your fellow road warriors waiting for you at the goal.

***MUST***
, Even if you have a navi, KNOW the ROUTE, have your back-up maps / Mapple or stick with someone who does.

What do we do when we get there?
Everybody meets up at the same place for a feast and to share tales from the road. Our usual onsen/business hotel is on the card again. With it’s food court to feed cavernous hungers and quench parched throats plus the onsen to soak out road knots and soften tortured wrists, it has served us well in the past and will do so again, hopefully.
Need to book a room? Try here:
Hotel Monzen
Can’t book yourself? I can arrange that, depending on room availability.

Need a bike? Can arrange a rental too. Almost any bike, depending upon booking availability.

How do I get in on this?
Spirited riders are always welcome. So, just reply here and PM me if you’re seriously interested and we'll talk.

12481292104_1c6b06618a_c.jpg

Short

I get a kick out of the fact that you can go coast to coast in 650 km. That only gets me from Calgary to part-way through Montana.

I to, look forward to the pictures.

I get a kick out of the fact that you can go coast to coast in 650 km. That only gets me from Calgary to part-way through Montana.

I've always wanted to do a "Sunrise - Sunset" ride from Lake Huron to Lake Michigan around the lower peninsula of Michigan, but the "Twistybutt" sounds amazing! Leaves anything that Michigan has to offer flailing along the roadside. Looking forward to seeing some photos in May!

How many riders have you had on the first two trips?

Gotta love the fact that it's even possible to ride alongside snow like this
5690686246_67b5aedc98_b.jpg

Sometimes there's just too much!
5707522024_e63b4c5440_b.jpg

Some thngs the FZ1 can't do
5690692404_126c1895bd_b.jpg

But all's good
5690693514_8520a256d1_b.jpg

Especially when you have this to wash away the stress
7134716769_8a3affdd2e_b.jpg

Most of the crew stayed together for half the ride in 2012
6988628930_aee2140efc_b.jpg

And here's a favorite with everyone, the Venus Line in Nagano
7996572789_cb4f4402b3_b.jpg

And the tighter deserted byway mountain passes are popular too
5287239674_d15643ff16_b.jpg

Some magic views to be had
491220968_e08d7a2c48_o.jpg

We ride everything
2074031670_650e6da7b0_b.jpg

Sleep anywhere
491220972_823d35ec34_o.jpg

And only occasionally look back
2396505238_6e41106cda_b.jpg

Oh, and we gotta put a few up for the twisties and roads
2479903935_56d6778432_b.jpg

2480727416_94a9f4537d_b.jpg

2480888908_f4b1609aaa_b.jpg

3510690617_0a80b01d91_b.jpg

2492711022_f493d8c5df_b.jpg

2775774638_7f5d2dc09d_b.jpg

11732160955_08040b3065_b.jpg

Why don't you come to Japan for a ride sometime?
6186131902_03f4526b30_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back