Coffman's Exhaust Review

Hi y'all! I'm gonna do a little review of the Coffman Exhaust that some of you have heard about online. I was, and still am, looking for a new exhaust to replace the massive boat anchor exhaust that Yamaha put on the FZ1. I purchased it July 6th and it arrived yesterday evening. Overall, I'm not too impressed on the slip on.

Ease of ordering 5/5 They have both an eBay shop and an Amazon shop, so either way it is very simple to get the slip on. I ordered it on a Sunday through eBay, and they called me Monday to ask which color I wanted since eBay doesn't let you specify. I selected solid black because I felt it would match my bike better.

Shipping speed 5/5 It took basically a week to arrive, so no complaints there at all. EBay said the expected date was the 21st and they expedited the shipping at no cost. I had offered to pay extra since I'm a person in the age of "I want it now". Really great people to deal with.

Build Quality 3/5 I give it a 3 because it looks great, but in the instructions they have you drill a hole in the header to rivet the slip on on. This was a new one for me. I have never had to rivet an exhaust on, but it could just be me. Other than that, it looks great.

Fit 2/5 This is where I was really not a fan. Little back story first, I had looked at getting an FZ8 a while back and had heard good things about Coffman being a decent low end slip on. Then I got my new bike and saw they had them for the FZ1, I jumped straight in. On their website and eBay store, the way they have it installed is right behind the right peg (duh). Well, when you install it that way with the design of the slip on, there is less than 2-3 millimeters of clearance from the back of my brake pedal. I take my bike off the center stand so check if I can make do, and no dice. So I take it off and basically rotate it upside down to see if this will work. Nope, as soon as I get off my center stand I hear a clang. Now my center stand is hitting it. All I can say is in not a fan.

Final Thoughts Overall, great company to deal with. I called them today and spoke with both the owner, Gary Coffman, and his wife. He acknowledged that they knew of the issues I had and offered to send me the revised version that fixed those two issues, but they weren't ready yet, so I'm just going to go with a nice Yoshi or Two Bros.

Also, I'll upload pictures when I get home. Please forgive any errors, I wrote this on mobile and this is my first time ding something like this.

Drill a hole in your headers to rivet the slip-on to? wtf?

Sounds like a classic case of you get what you pay for.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Like I said, the actual quality of the slip on wasn't bad. If Coffman hadn't told me this was a known issue. I might have taken his offer to wait for the updated one. I just don't understand how you can sell me something, and in less than a week there is an "updated part". As an actual company it was one of the better ones I've dealt with, in part because it is a mom and pop business. I'm shipping it back tomorrow for a full refund.

Back