Comfort

I've had my '06 FZ1 for about 1.5 years no and I have see-sawed about getting rid of it due to comfort factors. I love the bike - it looks awesome, rides awesome, is fast as a bullet, etc. - BUT is uncomfortable. I literally cannot be on the bike more than 20 minutes before my hands go numb, and 30 minutes before my butt is numb.

I added 2 in. bar risers...didn't really help. I know I can get a better seat (Sargent???), but am at odds as to what to do.

I am 6'1", 225 lbs.

Do I:

1. Try to find some way to keep my hands from going numb (how??), get a comfier seat (Sargent??)

or

2. Sell the bike and buy one that's comfortable?

If you've had it so long and still can't ride 20 minutes, maybe it's better to look at a different bike. Comfort tweaks to the FZ1 might help but it will essentially still be the same bike

I've had my '06 FZ1 for about 1.5 years no and I have see-sawed about getting rid of it due to comfort factors. I love the bike - it looks awesome, rides awesome, is fast as a bullet, etc. - BUT is uncomfortable. I literally cannot be on the bike more than 20 minutes before my hands go numb, and 30 minutes before my butt is numb.

I added 2 in. bar risers...didn't really help. I know I can get a better seat (Sargent???), but am at odds as to what to do.

I am 6'1", 225 lbs.

Do I:

1. Try to find some way to keep my hands from going numb (how??), get a comfier seat (Sargent??)

or

you have probably already found this out but where you sit on the seat makes a big difference in posture, I have an aftermarket seat which does help but don't expect a different bike after you get one. try a different seating position, but (and I'm being dead serious about this) make sure you don't have any blood flow problems, I have extensively ridden 20+ bikes and never has my hands gone numb.

I would recommend you sell and look for a Gen 1. I agree with above that you need to make sure you don't have any health issues. Lastly, (please don't take this the wrong way) I would try to drop 30 or so pounds. I had a 2002 and now have a 2008 and my 02 was much more comfortable.

You could look at renthal bars they have very minimal pull back and are very easy on the wrists. And you could go with an aftermarket seat. The bars will set you back 80 bucks. I'm not sure about the seat but if you really like the bike it might be worth a shot.

I'm 6 ft. 180 and 58 years old...and ride a 06....man I don't know where your getting the vibration from; my bike has no vibration at any speed....hands never go numb.....I don't really like the seat but can't justify buying a better one cause I don't ride it that much....when my butt goes numb I just hug the gas tank a little higher....You need to find out where your getting excessive vibration from, these bikes just don't vibrate that much.....You might want to consider getting a cruiser...I had a Boulevard last year with a back rest and it was comfortable, just too boring to ride...

Last edited:
I have a gen 1and solved my problem by going up 1 and back 1. And will work with mos t bikes.
Going up 2 will not solve the problem, you are just leaning forward on your hands/wrist at a different angle....they will still fall asleep.
You have to go back at least 1, which will put you more upright, less pressure on the wrist, and then up one just adds more comfort.

This also affects the seating position...more upright, you are now on most of he soft tushy area....more of the comfortable section of the derrière.
when you lean forward, you are cutting circulation to the groin/tush area, thus causing the pins and needles.
Don't believe me....find a chair....and sit in the same hunched over position as on your bike with your hands resting on a table, and your knees to your chest.....they'll fall asleep there too.
The fz still looks. Good with the higher bars....and you could drop the pegs also for your height.

I suspect one of your reasons for numb hands is that you aren't relaxed enough. If you are tense you end up gripping the bar too tight and getting numb hands. Try to be a little more relaxed in your overall posture, and invest $12 or so for a CrampBuster which allows you to control the throttle in a more relaxed manner. I bet that helps your saddle problem as well. I can usually go 100 miles or so before it starts bothering me, but that's usually a couple of hours in the saddle.

I am 6'1", 225 lbs.

Do I:

or

Need more info.

What is your past experience with bikes and comfort? Is the FZ your first bike? Did you have a string of bikes in the past that you found comfortable? What were they? Did you have a layoff period - not riding? Did you age or gain weight in that layoff period?

I am 6'1", 225 lbs.

Do I:

or

Sorry to hear your having these problems. I agree with Lindys questions. I'll admit the seat get's to my butt after a while but vibration - no. A tiny amount at about 4000rpm and that's all. Totally smooth. Have you ridden another FZ1 to compare vibration? I'm 55 years old and never had my hand's go numb riding and I'm thinking you should perhaps get a health check for yourself and the bike. Cheers.

After I changed the bars on my 08 I had the same problem. The new bars had no way to put the factory bar end weights on them so I was running without them. Put some aftermarket weights on the new bars and no more numb hands.

As for seats, I have had 5 now and the best one has been a customized Yamaha Gel seat.

Last edited:
Figure out the vibration issue and rest will resolve on its own. Tighten the engine mounts, spec the chain, tighten the bar mounts. Recheck and tighten all major moving and nonmoving parts. Next Get the fuelling sorted through a power commander.

I got one of them Crampbusters and it helps a whole lot....

I got a Crampbuster a year or two ago. It helped me quite a bit, too. I also bought a new seat this year 'cause I took Cobalt's comfy Top Saddlery seat and he finally wanted it back. I'm not a big fan of the FZ1's stock seat. The TS seats are a little more expensive, but with the Euro down as much as it is, now is a good time to invest in one. Make sure you get the "long" one as the regular one tends to not fit taller/heavier men as well. Another part of your anatomy might go numb. :angel:

I think if your hands are going numb, you have three issues... you are gripping too tightly, your elbows are locked and you are putting weight on your wrists.

When riding your FZ1, your arms should be relaxed with your elbows bend at all times. You should be supporting your upper body with your knees gripping the tank and not leaning on your arms. Your hands covering the grips but not deathly.... hold the grips like you would a child's hands.

Go ride and focus on what you've been doing in these areas. See if you can develop this proper riding habit.

And the seats my wife mentioned? Go get one asap before the Euro finds a way to gain value again. ;)

I used to have 0 vibration in any gear, any RPM up to 9k. I was running some 10W40 Castrol full synthetic car oil, then I did an oil change and used Mobile 1 Racing 4T 10W40 full synthetic. The bike now always has some vibration, and it is pretty bad above 3k. My hands get pins and needles, my ass can't handle more than 200mi, and even my feet feel it. I've had it in about 1500mi; I'm changing that crap out
On a side note, the temperature is 8-12 degrees higher with Mobile 1 as well

Could the throttle barrels need to be synchronized? My BMW K75S had bad high frequency vibration. I used foam grips and bar back and up adapters to solve the problem. Isn't the gen 2 engine hard mounted to the frame? This would add to the problem.

Back