Confirmed.....no 2014 MotoGP at Laguna Seca ....

Just got the latest Corkscrew newsletter from Laguna Seca and they had this announcement. It's a real shame.:

A Season Without a Grand Prix

You may have noticed one rather large race missing from next year's schedule - the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix.

For 25 years, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca has served as the “home” for Grand Prix motorcycle racing in the United States, having staged 15 world championship Grands Prix since 1988. Unfortunately, and in spite of loyal support from fans, sponsors and media, there will not be a 16th U.S. Grand Prix in 2014.

At this time, the U.S. is only able to support two MotoGP events. The support provided by the states of Texas and Indiana make it difficult for us, as a not-for-profit, to currently compete.

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca extends its gratitude to all those whose combined efforts made the U.S. Grand Prix such an iconic event; it took all of you – fans, sponsors, motorcycle community, media, volunteers and, not the least, Dorna Sports. Our pledge to you is to work diligently to return the MotoGP World Championship to the Monterey Peninsula in the very near future.

What sucks is that the County doesnt want to improve a great track to allow reasonable access. They want the profit, but refuse to improve it.

I first went there in '82. The access roads are the same.

I believe that the powers that be in the local government dont want the track to operate.

Indy is boring.

What sucks is that the County doesnt want to improve a great track to allow reasonable access. They want the profit, but refuse to improve it.

I first went there in '82. The access roads are the same.

I believe that the powers that be in the local government dont want the track to operate.

Indy is boring.

Partially true, but the CA environmentalists have screwed down any efforts to do major upgrades on the facility. Laguna Seca is only allowed a set number of events each year and they have to fight tooth and nail to improve things. It's the way CA does things now....more and more effort to squeeze development out of the picture. Too many people would just like to see LS just go away and return back to it's normal state. That's why Texas could build a world class track in relatively short order for MotoGP and F1, something that would NEVER be allowed in CA.

That's why Texas could build a world class track in relatively short order for MotoGP and F1, something that would NEVER be allowed in CA.

Dont you think that the relative land values of the 2 different areas have something to do with it?

Look at the area around LS. As I stated earlier, the "POWERS THAT BE", ie the 1%'ers dont want that awful noise to disrupt thier peacefulness. And since they have the money, I mean power, they can control what happens.

On the flip side, look at the new 49ers stadium in Santa Clara. They wanted it, and therefore got the rules changed in thier favor.

If it was popular, it would happen.

Dont you think that the relative land values of the 2 different areas have something to do with it?

Look at the area around LS. As I stated earlier, the "POWERS THAT BE", ie the 1%'ers dont want that awful noise to disrupt thier peacefulness. And since they have the money, I mean power, they can control what happens.

On the flip side, look at the new 49ers stadium in Santa Clara. They wanted it, and therefore got the rules changed in thier favor.

If it was popular, it would happen.

No, I don't think land values have anything to do with it. What are you going to do with the land around LS? It's a desert.

The difference is the 1% as you call them, all Liberals by the way which is what CA is these days, like to watch football from their box seats or in front of their 60" flat screens, hence a new stadium is a good thing for them to support. But they don't want to drive all the way down to the Monterey peninsula and watch smelly, noisy motorcycles. Football = good, where they can make business deals. Motorcycles = bad, they don't attract the right people who can advance their wishes.

Your siggy says you are in Pollock Pines.....if that is CA you are in no man's land.....a conservative area in a Democratic state. In other words, your wishes and votes count for nothing. You are immaterial to the Liberals who populate the CA coastal areas. Too bad for you. Solution....suck it up or move. CA is a lost cause and going down fast. The 1% in CA are all liberal Democrats.

Last edited:
Liberal this, conservative that. Left, right, Republican, Democrat, blah, blah. This is such meaningless drivel. Those words are so empty.

The fact is, Laguna Seca is off the MotoGP calendar for all kinds of reasons. That's a shame but the racing goes on and we've been treated to an excellent season so far. :)

If it comes back there some day, I'll go. If not, I'll go elsewhere.

Last edited:
What are you going to do with the land around LS?

Not much, except build multi million $$$ homes.

Ya, I live in Ca. And I am a Democrat too. And I vote. Do I always win? Nope. But as a mature adult, I understand and appreciate the political process that the founding fathers built for us. Thanks for your opinon on me and my state, and for taking a reasonable discussion and turning it ugly. Now, take your soapbox out of this category and start one in the political area where your ranting belongs.

Have a nice day. :blahblah:

Back