Considering going to the MotoGP Race in Indy

Indianapolis is hosting the MotoGP race in August. I'm considering getting tickets. I've never been to a motorcycle race of this magnitude before.

So some questions for those of you who have answers...
  1. Is it worth getting "reserved" seats?
  2. Thoughts about 1-day vs. 3-day tickets.
  3. What the heck is "VIP Motorcycle Parking?"
  4. The "grass lot" camp sites don't have shower facilities. In four days, I might like to catch a shower. Options?

I'm open to any wisdom you would like to impart.

I've done the math on tickets, and it seems like General Admission tickets are the way to go for race-day-only tickets, but if we are going to be there for the whole weekend (which is what my friends are talking about) then reserved seats are a marginally better deal. Here's what I came up with:

Option 1a ($50): General Admission, One Day
General Admission MotoGP Tickets are $40 for race day
General Parking is $10

Option 1b ($80): General Admission, Three Days
General Admission MotoGP Tickets are $60 for three days
General Parking is $20

Option 2 ($85): Reserved Seating, Three Days
Tower Terrace or B Box seats: $70
Practice/Qualification Combo Ticket: $5
VIP Parking: $10
(Discounted pricing through the following site: Official Indianapolis Motor Speedway Tickets - 2013 Red Bull Indianapolis GP - IMS Shows - 3-Day Package )

I can't address Indy in particular, but I've gone to Laguna Seca multiple times so I can give you a few pointers.

Many people go to the track to take in the manufacturers and vendor displays and don't pay too much attention to time trials, the Moto GP race, or other things that happen on track. For them a General Admission ticket is fine for them. If you want to get a good view of the on track action you pretty much need a reserved seat, preferably in view of a big screen tv so you can keep up with the action on track.

If you are only going to go for one day than just get a one day pass, but if you are going to go on Saturday to take in the vendors village and watch time trials, and then come back on Sunday for the race you need a multiple day pass, the extra cost isn't that much.

VIP parking usually gets you in closer to the track and may be better policed although theft and vandalism seems pretty low in any event.

General Admission (1 day or 3 day) does not include a reserved seat, those are always in addition to GA. If I read your note correctly a 3 day GA pass + 3 day reserved seat will cost you $60 + $70 = $130.

they bring in a "shower bus"... something like $10 for unlimited shower time.... sucked... long lines... convenient to walk to the race, but poorly laid out. No power, so you need a way to charge your cell.

For one day, I'd stay there again, but we got in on Friday night and left Monday Morning... ugh.
VIP parking is just parking at the track, if you are camping there... just leave your bike at the campground and walk across the street. If you stay off the track, get it.

We just did three day Gen admission... still got to sit in the seats race day because they did not fill up. I sat right on turn 1... awesome!

Def. an experience. Hope to go again, but will prob. just take the car... nice to have a place to lock stuff up at and have a comfy ride for the long boring highway trip from VA.

If I read your note correctly a 3 day GA pass + 3 day reserved seat will cost you $60 + $70 = $130.

I hope you didn't (read it correctly)!

I guess that I was thinking that the $70 for the reserved seats would get us full access to the track. If we have to buy GA tickets on top of the reserved, then I think that the answer to our ticket questions are easy!

At least one of the other guys is probably going to vote for a hotel (or possibly a nearby relative), but I tend to think that the atmosphere at the camp sites is pretty spirited and would be a great time. Dragging enough equipment for four of us to be reasonably comfortable could be interesting too, since we're coming from both Detroit and Cleveland. I can see logistical difficulties with making sure we have the right supplies.

Two timer Indy resident. First get the three day with the parade lap (if your bringing your bike, greatest 10$ ever). Reserved seats are worth the extra money for the shade. Second get a cheap hotel near by, Speedway or Greenwood are decent options 20-40 a night and 20 min away. Trust me after a day of sitting in the sun walking around you want a good bed and a shower. If you really want to camp it is fun, but uncomfortable. Bringing a "shower bag" works decent enough. Parking is relative you'll pay about the same in or out of the track 10/day VIP (inside the track close to the center)isn't a bad deal.

Other Comments on what to do all weekend:

-Friday: Not much to do till later in the day. Racer panel, Valentino Rossi usually signs autographs and pics for 30 min after the discussion. Also a high(ish) speed parade lap around the GP track (epic). Usual partying around town.

-Saturday: open seating qualifying, racer autograph sessions, and general walking. Free Pit walk (get there early).

-Sunday: Race day, sit down shut up and smile.

I hope you didn't (read it correctly)!

I guess that I was thinking that the $70 for the reserved seats would get us full access to the track. If we have to buy GA tickets on top of the reserved, then I think that the answer to our ticket questions are easy!

At least one of the other guys is probably going to vote for a hotel (or possibly a nearby relative), but I tend to think that the atmosphere at the camp sites is pretty spirited and would be a great time. Dragging enough equipment for four of us to be reasonably comfortable could be interesting too, since we're coming from both Detroit and Cleveland. I can see logistical difficulties with making sure we have the right supplies.

Just checked out the Indy website and found this info for the 3 day GA ticket: "A three day general admission ticket provides you with access on August 16 - 18, 2013. You will have access to the viewing mounds and several designated seating areas." So you do have some access to a seat, how good they are I do not know. Things are cheaper at Indy than Laguna Seca.

Last edited:
The other option is to sign up as a corner worker. I went to Laguna Seca the first year they came back to the US (2005) and worked the top of turn 9 so I could see the cork screw, 9, and 10. The cool part was we got free camping, food and drink provided, full pit access, and at the end of it all we got paid. Whatever you do, plan on going the full race weekend. If you are a fan you will absolutely love it and everybody should experience it at least once.

The other option is to sign up as a corner worker. I went to Laguna Seca the first year they came back to the US (2005) and worked the top of turn 9 so I could see the cork screw, 9, and 10. The cool part was we got free camping, food and drink provided, full pit access, and at the end of it all we got paid. Whatever you do, plan on going the full race weekend. If you are a fan you will absolutely love it and everybody should experience it at least once.

I "thanked" you, but it was more of a "like". Corner marshaling is flipping awesome! You may not always get a "good" corner, but you get closer than any fan could get to a race. Nothing like watching them whip by you at amazing speeds. I did corner marshal before I even had a bike, for the local fellas here in CO. Better than free...cuz like LAZ said, you get paid. I am seriously considering doing it for the COTA race.

How do you get into corner marshaling? Is this an "invitation-only" kind of thing? How much track experience do you need to have?

start here: USAC MOTOGP

guy on the FZ6R site has done it for a couple of years now, I thought about it, but you do have to be available for the training day and there all weekend, so it wasn't an option for me.

Ordered tickets tonight. There are seven of us going, and we all elected to do the track lap. Now all I have to do is figure out a way to not think about it until August.

I have been twice. I think once COTA has a year or two under it's belt, Indy will disappear... Riders seem to hate it. Pedro seems to get down pretty good on the old, bumpy track though.

Back