Coolant colour is brown and green

v-petn

Hi all,

My plugs and used R1 coils arrived yesterday. I decided to do the change myself seeing as though the mechanic wanted to charge me $165 just to change the plugs. I thought that was a bit excessive..

Anyways, I was hoping to replace it without removing the radiator hose but even with the small hands, I was struggle to get access to the inner coils... I installed the AIS plates too... very tight and too ages to do... that gave me some extra room...

When I drained the coolant, it was bronish green colour... Can anyone guess how old that would have been? Bike has 25000kms on it... I bought it at 22000km so I assume that it make be the same coolant from brand new yeah?

I have to buy some distill water now... I purchased coolant bottle for my daytona 675 but never used it... do you think that would be ok to use on the FZ1? Coolant is coolant yeah?

What year is your ride? Look like your fluid is way over due to be change. Next time pop the fuel tank and the airbox off. (Hope is about the same on the FZ1). Takes 2 minutes and less messy!

It definately sounds like you need to change the fluid!
Plus the smell of used fluid will make you sick, new stuff smells completely different.
The fluid is designed to sacrafice it's "life" throughout about a years worth/or 10k miles of heat cycles.

It definately sounds like you need to change the fluid!
Plus the smell of used fluid will make you sick, new stuff smells completely different.
The fluid is designed to sacrafice it's "life" throughout about a years worth/or 10k miles of heat cycles.

you're not wrong there. Smells weird.

it's an 06 model

No Brainer....spend the $ and get 'r done...Do you really want to cheap out/mess with your cooling system?

yeah that's what I'm doing now... Most of the fluid has been drained... just curious how old and what type of coolant I should be using... does coolant have ratings like oil? sorry never changed coolant before.

Yamaha has a pre mixed coolant but I'm sure its someone elses just branded under their name. I run engine ice in mine.

Anxiously awaiting the results of your coil change.

Yamaha has a pre mixed coolant but I'm sure its someone elses just branded under their name. I run engine ice in mine.

Anxiously awaiting the results of your coil change.

me too... I took 1 of the coils out last night and compared it to the used R1 coils... I can see some kind of rusty look particles in the grooves of the coils... Really hoping it takes care of this damn hesitation...

total coolant requires is 2.25 litres yeah? I only have the 1 litre bottle... Do you think I can get away with 2 litres of coolant or should I not be tight and buy another 1litre?

Hi I'm running Nulon in mine now. Buy an extra ltr just to make sure. Also easier to drain the expansion tank using a suction (Available at Bunnings for about $17) Also see the thread about the coolant drain nut breaking. You might want to drain using the hose method.

total coolant requires is 2.25 litres yeah? I only have the 1 litre bottle... Do you think I can get away with 2 litres of coolant or should I not be tight and buy another 1litre?

low coolant level is just as bad as no antifreeze.
mix right to the 50/50 mix then pour into your bike.

the unused stuff. just seal the cap tight and place on the shelf it will still be good to go when you change again.

just do not let the new or old stuff lay around as it will kill cats and dogs.

Back